what parts do you wish you could get as a reproduction?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I reminisced some about finding parts before EBAY and the Internet on another thread. I went poking around on some of the vendors sites and it reminded me of all kinds of things that just were not available as a reproduction item.

So I thought it would be 'fun' to list what you wish you could find as a new reproduction. Maybe someone else has seen it? Maybe a vendor will decide that there might be enough interest?

What I really want is 73 convertible rear interior panels in WHITE. I think I saw them once in black but painting them just means they are going to get scratched up.

interior rear quarterpanels. they make HORRIBLE reproductions now, somebody needs to make OEM matching ones for all 3 body styles.

A piller covers. for fastback and coupe.

Roof drip trim. for fastback and coupe.

Shock towers, full-length front frame rails, torque boxes, rockers, cross-members (front, engine, and transmission), trunk surround, intermediate panel/rear shock mount (upper), firewall, cowl, cowl covers, and fresh air vent inlets.

I haven't even gotten to the 'pretty' stuff yet. ;)

Decent exterior trim like rear window moldings, drip rail moldings, windshield moldings and window weatherstrip moldings. Heavy duty trunk springs for use with spoilers. 3 spoke steering wheels that are affordable. '73 urethane front bumpers. '73 rear bumperettes and the rub strips for the rear bumper. Instrument cluster lens with the whole in it for the trip odometer. Oh, and I would love to fine a reproduction slotted mag in 15x8 or even deep dish 15x10. Not the American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels but ones that look right and use the correct center cap. How about a deluxe door panel that comes complete? How about some replacement harnesses?

The plastic panels for the sport deck option (aka: fold-down rear seat) that go from the qtr windows back and wrap around to the trap door. They're not available, period. The only ones I've seen come available for years are total crap that people want WAY too much money for.

Doors, the electric window lock switch, rear electric window motors, console clock, T5 emblems, roof rail moldings uretane bumpers.....

And i wish a better quality for the repro parts. Some parts that i buy are only trash (rear window moldings, dash pad...) not to install only crap for much money.

COWL!!!!!

LOL

The heavy duty hood hinge springs for the NASA hood made from square profile wire. Would love to replace the broom handle :-(((

- Manfred

interior rear quarterpanels. they make HORRIBLE reproductions now, somebody needs to make OEM matching ones for all 3 body styles.

A piller covers. for fastback and coupe.

Hint, hint, hint:D:D:D email me

Don

Dog dish with trim ring for me please!! :p

I didn´t need too many repro things but i know i´m gonna need a lor of interior trim, exterior trim and moldings and a lot of stuff you are saying is sh**t... Grrr...

I may just keep driving my 40 year old car with 40 year old parts for a looooong while!

BTW.... the 10 piece lower body trim and the wheel openings, in repro parts are excelent, good or horrible too... They are WAY to expensive and i know i´m gonna need them sonner than other parts so... what should i do?... Buy the repros, buy used or keep driving without them?...

DOG DISHES ARE MY WISH!! :)

UPPER AND LOWER COWL PANELS!!!!!!!

This is probably the most important part of the car that needs to be reproduced. It is impossible to find one of these used in good shape. It doesn't matter how nice your car looks, if the carpet stays wet all the time.

This is probably the most important part of the car that needs to be reproduced. It is impossible to find one of these used in good shape. It doesn't matter how nice your car looks, if the carpet stays wet all the time.
I agree that cowl panels would be great. But if you are planing on doing this job it usually means you have welding skills. I think that if you can weld that is a job that you could do. It would make it easier but fabricating the parts for a cowl job is not that hard. Once it's all done it is unseen to the naked eye. So it doesn't have to look perfect. I think the suckeist part is getting to the cowl. Drilling all those spot welds is not something I look forward to. But I agree it would make the job much easier.

I agree that cowl panels would be great. But if you are planing on doing this job it usually means you have welding skills. I think that if you can weld that is a job that you could do. It would make it easier but fabricating the parts for a cowl job is not that hard. Once it's all done it is unseen to the naked eye. So it doesn't have to look perfect. I think the suckeist part is getting to the cowl. Drilling all those spot welds is not something I look forward to. But I agree it would make the job much easier.
You are right!

I would add to that that if you don't have welding skills, the 71-3 cars are probably the worst, rusty-ist Mustang to pick to restore. I'm not hating on them, obviously I love them too, or I wouldn't be here.

Making the cowl is exactly what I'm going to do next. I already have the top panel removed. My car doesn't have a lot of rust, but you could throw a cat through the cowl!

The early cars have a complete unit for about three hundred bucks. It would be well worth it. I've restored a few of the older cars, and I can tell you that the 71-73 cars have LOTS more problems with rust then they do. So it would be really nice not to have to build a cowl, with all of the other issues these cars typically have.

Oh, there are many parts that I´d like but the only one I can think of right now off the top of my head is the

trim molding on top of the windshield (inside the convertible) that runs from one pillar to the other. Don´t ask me what is the exact designation. (Header molding maybe? Dunno).

Anyway, mine is twisted and has had holes drilled in it and I´d love to get a new one!

Back