Do you think this would look ridiculous?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this would look ridiculous?

• Yes, don't do it!
    • No, go for it!

Hey everyone, been a long time since I posted anything, been deployed for a bit. For the longest time I have wanted a ram air hood, but can't bring myself to paying for one with shipping being so high. My son helps me pick out styling ideas for the Mustang and he loves air breathers that protrude through the hood, he calls them rum rums. I was cruising eBay the other day and found this and got to thinking. I know it's my car and do I will do what I want, but would this look absolutely ridiculous on a flat hood on my coupe? I think it could be interesting, but not completely sold on the idea.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-BUG-CATCHER-ALUMINUM-AIR-CLEANER-SCOOP-SINGLE-OR-DUAL-QUAD-/181864790392?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to upload from my phone. Thanks everyone!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the looks of those scoops.. but don't forget some day u will get caught in the rain. and this scoop sitting right on top of carb with rain.. well not a good combo. have u looked at the machI scoop on the '69 or '70.

You could always just use it as non-functional, just mount it on the hood. You could also use your air cleaner base and fabricate a housing on top of it and mount the scoop on top of it for your own unique shaker scoop, to get away from rainy day problems.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

With that on the hood the engine should be able to backup the look. ;)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

My two cents: if you want something there as an accent use a 69 hood scoop. Either the Mach1 scoop like I did or the Boss429 scoop if you want something wilder.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

In addition to the example above here are two 1969 scoops for comparison.

The Mach 1 scoop without the blackout in the center:

744626195_040(2).thumb.JPG.02b59763c79e6927cf929d8fb245a858.JPG

957521236_010(2).thumb.JPG.93d41c6e8d174d5394dab8a54a3d43f0.JPG

The Mach 1 scoop with blacked out center:

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.df6c3b0ee91a9951b879adf8306fadb2.JPG

And the Boss 429 scoop if you really want to let it all hang out! :)

Dexia-Classic-2008___124.jpg.e4c1df466a16f66381a34ee56509a6ef.jpg

DSC_3985.thumb.JPG.df0b0d2d9641641f45cb87f806b6140b.JPG

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Good to see you back Nik. Are you still in SD?

Thanks Jim!

Not in San Diego anymore, stationed up in Everett, WA now. Just got back from a deployment right before christmas. Will be trying to get orders back to San Diego after another deployment at the end of the year to the Middle East.

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

In addition to the example above here are two 1969 scoops for comparison.

The Mach 1 scoop without the blackout in the center:

The Mach 1 scoop with blacked out center:

And the Boss 429 scoop if you really want to let it all hang out! :)

Man I really like that 429 Hood Scoop!

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

I have a built 429 sitting on a stand in the garage for it. While it was in my buddies '56 F100, it made 600hp at the wheels.

1_12_09_14_10_32_45.png

- Nik

I have a built 429 sitting on a stand in the garage for it. While it was in my buddies '56 F100, it made 600hp at the wheels.

Have you test fittet it in the car? I'm asking because that green coupe has the Boss 429 scoop because the 429 (stroked to 460!) underneath did not fit under the hood and the air filter needed a cutout in the hood.

It actually protrudes into the scoop and you can see it from up front.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

In the end it's defiantly your decision. If you do decide to go with a hood scoop at least you have three Ford hood scoops to choose from that all looked good. The 68-70 Mustang and 68-69 Torino style which looks great on luxstang's car. The Cougar style which Chuck illustrated, has the same height as the Mustang/Torino scoop but is wider. Then the in your face Boss 429 scoop. As I have gotten older I have "Toned" down a little, so I sorta like the middle of the ground Cougar scoop.

1969_mercury_courgar_xr_428cj.thumb.jpg.b6ad5f17bfe768d9debf9339b11e88de.jpg

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Well, that scoop would certainly look good on the stand! Just giving ya crap. ;)

But yeah, sounds like you have the beef to back up the look!!

Myself, I prefer the sleeper approach. Just a 45 year old baby blue convertible, nothing to see here.. :)

But who knows what I would do with the next one. Cuz I like them all!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back up as I proceed with my 545 install.

I currently have a hand-built metal scoop grafted into my '73 Mach 1 hood. This scoop was tall enough for the old 428SCJ with a DOVE Single plane intake utilizing two stacked air cleaner elements, without any problems.

y'all might recall I also have a 472 (429 with 460 crank bored .060) in my '73 Grande using a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake without any fitment issues relative to the hood while using a stock NACA hood.

While I have not yet test fitted my current NACA modified hood yet on the 545 application, I am thinking it might not "cut the mustard as I might need another inch or so.  Any of you seen any NACA hoods utilizing the Boss 429 scoop versus the standard coupe/convertible hood. I found a vendor who can supply a fiberglass Boss 429 scoop that is 4" at the front which might work if my current hood does not clear. If go that route, I will probably store my current hood and just order another one and cut it up as appropriate.

If this doesn't cut it, I might have to go to an L88 ( :angel:) type hood.

Any thoughts?

~BT

Do the RIGHT thing.