Hood Options?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this would look ridiculous?

• Yes, don't do it!

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No, go for it!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Hey everyone, been a long time since I posted anything, been deployed for a bit. For the longest time I have wanted a ram air hood, but can't bring myself to paying for one with shipping being so high. My son helps me pick out styling ideas for the Mustang and he loves air breathers that protrude through the hood, he calls them rum rums. I was cruising eBay the other day and found this and got to thinking. I know it's my car and do I will do what I want, but would this look absolutely ridiculous on a flat hood on my coupe? I think it could be interesting, but not completely sold on the idea.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-BUG-CATCHER-ALUMINUM-AIR-CLEANER-SCOOP-SINGLE-OR-DUAL-QUAD-/181864790392?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to upload from my phone. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on whether you are aiming for pro street as the look

What about a shaker? Would look ok on a flat non NASA hood

i like the looks of those scoops.. but don't forget some day u will get caught in the rain. and this scoop sitting right on top of carb with rain.. well not a good combo. have u looked at the machI scoop on the '69 or '70.

You could always just use it as non-functional, just mount it on the hood. You could also use your air cleaner base and fabricate a housing on top of it and mount the scoop on top of it for your own unique shaker scoop, to get away from rainy day problems.

The Top Gear Mustang had one, it does look pretty tough.

s19771mach1_zpse88aeb91.jpg

latest

latest

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents: if you want something there as an accent use a 69 hood scoop. Either the Mach1 scoop like I did or the Boss429 scoop if you want something wilder.

In addition to the example above here are two 1969 scoops for comparison.

The Mach 1 scoop without the blackout in the center:

040 (2).JPG

010 (2).JPG

The Mach 1 scoop with blacked out center:

IMG_4568.JPG

And the Boss 429 scoop if you really want to let it all hang out! :)

Dexia-Classic-2008___124.jpg

DSC_3985.JPG

Good to see you back Nik. Are you still in SD?
Thanks Jim!

Not in San Diego anymore, stationed up in Everett, WA now. Just got back from a deployment right before christmas. Will be trying to get orders back to San Diego after another deployment at the end of the year to the Middle East.

In addition to the example above here are two 1969 scoops for comparison.

The Mach 1 scoop without the blackout in the center:

The Mach 1 scoop with blacked out center:

And the Boss 429 scoop if you really want to let it all hang out! :)
Man I really like that 429 Hood Scoop!

Back