New Member from FL

ITMike5.0

I picked up a 1972 Mach 1 today, white exterior, Q Code 351 CJ, white interior except for dash, console and carpet which are black.

First I have to say it's a pleasure joining another Mustang forum. I also have a Grabber Blue 2011 GT. I don't know how I'm going to find the time to spread my love between two Mustangs but I'm sure I'll figure it out real quick. Lol :D

This will be a project for me to do with my son who is currently 11 years old. He also loves Mustangs.

For some reason this was a very plane jane Mach 1. No decal kit, hub caps, and white on white. I am going to have it dustless blasted, take care of any body issues, and then repainted. Then I'm definitely going to add the decals and the honeycomb rear piece and correct fuel door. Also a nice set of chrome mag wheels instead of the wheel/hub cap combo.

Does anybody know how many 1972 Mach 1, Q Code, White on White cars there are out there? Have any of you ever seen white w/white interior? The only thing not white on this car is the carpet and dash.

Any recommendations for the restoration? Pull and clean engine...maybe dustless blast and repaint engine bay, remove and replace carpet and replace panels or remove everything and dustless blast and paint/seal floor and all metal? It's hard to decide how exactly to go about this since it is my first restoration but I want to do it right so any input is appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Stang Life!

Stangs.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from Iowa. Post up some pics of the car. As far as rarity you can order a Marti Report and that will give you some guidance on how many there were.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome From Rhode Island.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Welcome from Denmark Northern Part of Europe [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] [THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars DK73🇩🇰

Sendt fra min F8331 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Welcome from Oklahoma.

As for me - I prefer the cars are as close to original as possible.

A Mach 1 without side stripes and with the lower body bright trim that separates the body color from the lower contrasting black or argent body color is very cool.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Welcome from Ohio

When removing parts be careful and save everything until you have a replacement part, or the car is done

There are a lot of parts not made for the 71-3's

Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Lots of great info in our archives.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Howdy from Phoenix and a big welcome to the forum. It is totally cool that you are getting your young son into the hobby. This is a great forum and we encourage each owner to make their mustang their own. I am looking forward to seeing some pics and some progress as you customize it.

When you swap out some of those original parts please don't toss them in the trash. Some of the folks here are trying to get their cars back to the very envious pursuit of factory original. Selling or even givng away parts won't make you reach but it can make you happy!

Again welcome to the forum. It's a great group of folks.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Like stated the best info available is a Marti. I checked in his book Mustang by the numbers and can report the following.

The book does not break out Mach 1 from Fastback both are together.

For cars with 9A white paint codes the following was listed.

Need to know you interior code?

AW white vinyl with black vinyl (161)

GW white comfort weave (198)

Looks like the white was not too popular. With a white interior the following should be black, carpet on floor, bottom of door panel carpet, console, dash and pad, steering wheel and column, the two panels on each side of the rear if it has fold down. Not sure on without fold down.

The really rare color interior with white exterior is GR which is Med. green knitted vinyl only 22 of them.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Mach1.thumb.jpg.60ac00d982d920c861eccc56f5a86249.jpgMach1PassSide.thumb.png.7ce913db4cfbf94b4bec21497333e516.pngMach1DoorTag.thumb.png.82501f44e3f13464e436097ab8404543.pngMach1Interior2.thumb.png.fc48177a90e709865174d614bb2055ec.pngMach1Interior1.thumb.png.8f10f29858c21d297c2a630f55bbd6f5.pngMach1Interior3.thumb.png.de3fa93f61fbae2edfaf0331f8567353.pngenginebay1.thumb.png.a0805364ffad4fbe1ce63e2ed0f6a455.png

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Like stated the best info available is a Marti. I checked in his book Mustang by the numbers and can report the following.

The book does not break out Mach 1 from Fastback both are together.

For cars with 9A white paint codes the following was listed.

Need to know you interior code?

AW white vinyl with black vinyl (161)

GW white comfort weave (198)

Looks like the white was not too popular. With a white interior the following should be black, carpet on floor, bottom of door panel carpet, console, dash and pad, steering wheel and column, the two panels on each side of the rear if it has fold down. Not sure on without fold down.

The really rare color interior with white exterior is GR which is Med. green knitted vinyl only 22 of them.

Cool, thanks for the info! Either way...with numbers in the 100's it seems like a rare color indeed. Here are some pics...

Stang Life!

Stangs.jpg

Welcome from West TN. Do some research on the car before tearing it apart. Is it a Mach 1 or Sportsroof (3 & 4 digits in the VIN will be 02-Sportsroof 05-Mach 1).

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Here is some info from your door tag. You can also go to the link below.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

CaptureQcode.JPG.c1865aad1b1b9e7e208f8fdff318e542.JPG

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg