'72 Q Code Mach 1, Rare White w/White interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "rare" designation I would say applies to your car.

Mine being 1 of 20 sold from the DSO and 1 0f 76 with paint and trim codes would make it 'rare'.

Rare usually doesn't always equate to "desirable". Desirable is necessary to equate to higher value.

It was the same with my 1970 Mustang it was 1 of 10 in one of those categories. After I restored it, it did sell for more then the average 1970 Coupe, but not much.

So, with only 184 with this color combination does that make my 72 Mach 1 rare? :huh:

I think it would be really cool to find some old pictures of the Ford dealership listed.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Nice interior! Didn't know you could order the car without the decor group option and still order the body side stripe as an option.

I'd say you are correct.

listed as one of the standard 1972 Mach 1 features -

Bright lower body side moulding with lower panel below moulding painted black or argent

- and of course when side tape stripes were added the moulding was replaced with the 1/4 inch stripe...

Ray

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Nice interior! Didn't know you could order the car without the decor group option and still order the body side stripe as an option.

I'd say you are correct.

listed as one of the standard 1972 Mach 1 features -

Bright lower body side moulding with lower panel below moulding painted black or argent

- and of course when side tape stripes were added the moulding was replaced with the 1/4 inch stripe...

Ray
Thanks for all the info! Where could I find some pictures showing what is described here? Would it have also had the decals on the rear and also on the hood? I definitely want to get this back to stock including making sure I have the original wheels and all. Would it help to purchase the original invoice from the Marti site as well?

Thanks for all the info! Where could I find some pictures showing what is described here? Would it have also had the decals on the rear and also on the hood? I definitely want to get this back to stock including making sure I have the original wheels and all. Would it help to purchase the original invoice from the Marti site as well?

On your Marti report it doesn't state that the car came with TuTone hood paint so it was 1 color. Your wheels look original! Those wheels ( dog dish with trim rings ) supposed to be under a car with the decor group ( at least in 1973 , not sure about 1972) if there are no optional wheels on the Marti report.

I have been reading a lot about the options lately because I am also busy with restoring my car to stock. Hopefully some more experienced guys on the forum can give you some more info....

I have no knowledge about the decals on the rear since I have a convertible ( not an option on those I believe... )

TuTone hood:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=5873

Body side tape stripe :

http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=34286

Last edited by a moderator:
ITMike5.0, others have already provided you with some great info. 72 Mach1's came standard with trim rings and brushed finish hub caps. It also included bright lower body side moulding that separated the standard lower accent color (black or silver) from the upper body color. That moulding was replaced with a thin pin stripe when the optional Body Side Tape was ordered such as on your car. Early build cars required a 351 2bl or 4bl engine to order ram air to get the black out hood on the Mach1. After 1/72 that was restricted to the 351 2bl. Your Mach1 would have also included "Mach1 Mustang" on the lower fenders and "Mach1" with stripes on the quarter panel end caps and deck lid.

I would contact Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply to check on stripe availability and ordering info.

a9c9e60a2a3a102546e5bc418a4132f1.jpg

101_2660.jpg

The "rare" designation I would say applies to your car.

Mine being 1 of 20 sold from the DSO and 1 0f 76 with paint and trim codes would make it 'rare'.

Rare usually doesn't always equate to "desirable". Desirable is necessary to equate to higher value.

It was the same with my 1970 Mustang it was 1 of 10 in one of those categories. After I restored it, it did sell for more then the average 1970 Coupe, but not much.

So, with only 184 with this color combination does that make my 72 Mach 1 rare? :huh:

I think it would be really cool to find some old pictures of the Ford dealership listed.
Timsweet, is that an original hood you have? I've realized that I have some pretty bad rust issues with this car and the hood also seems to be rusting from the inside out. Still solid but not sure for how much longer. Maybe you could refer me to a good place out in your area to look for some body panels, a hood, and a RH quarter panel.

Hi from down under.

Maybe I can add some more info to the Mach 1 option debate.

My Mach 1 was built 29th June 1972 (225680) which was the day before yours.

Interesting that my serial number is later than yours but the build was completed a day earlier. Both cars were serialised on the same day 9th June.

I believe all 1972 Mach 1 builds had the lower body moulding / 2 tone paint regardless if stripes were ordered or not. Mine definitely has both.

The NASA style hood was a no cost option for the 1972 Mach 1. If this option box was ticked the NASA style hood is listed on the Marti report, otherwise a flat hood was fitted in the build.

NASA style hood scoops are listed as an option on my Marti report.

Len van Rossum

Back