Seized timing gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digdugjake

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande
351 Cleveland 2 barrel 2 valve (for now)
All original
In process of getting the running before spring i decided to find out if the timing chain had ever been replaced. It has with a Windsor chain. Now trying to get the sprocket and it is seized. I don't have the option to the motor due to where i live but want to get it running. It is a 73 Grande with a 351 CLEVELAND 2BBL. Any advice to get it off? Ive tried a 2 jaw puller to no effect and dont want to leave the motor open too long.

If you have an oxy/acet torch, heat up the crank snout and let sit for minute or so for the snout to shrink back and the gear to expand then use your puller. Failing that, cover the the sump opening really well and carefully grind on part of the gear down until you can split it with a cold chisel. Failing that pull crank out and press off with a hydraulic press, obviously last resort. Have had success with the first two methods before, so third would be extreme.

I've never run across this situation, but it could happen.. The crank gear is keyed onto the shaft, so it cannot spin and weld itself to the shaft.. Therefore, the only thing holding it in place is solidified oil. It is also possible that the gear was pressed on from a prior repair.. In any case, try heating the gear only, not the crank shaft. It will expand and should slide off the crank shaft with a puller. Do this while it's hot (be careful) so that whatever is holding the gear on will not have a chance to re-set itself.

Block any access to the oil pan. Drill a .250 depression between two teeth (do not drill through to the crank). Place a cold chisel between the teeth over the hole and strike smartly with a hammer. It should split allowing it to be removed. Chuck

Lots of good advice so far. I would also look closely at the woodruff key and make sure the key is running parallel to the snout of the crank. It's possible for the key to turn into a wedge if it is high or low on one end.

I ended up having to cut it off turns out it was a windsor sprocket set with a cleveland chain wrapped around it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back