Will 315's fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I would like to go to a 315 in the back. I am now running a 275. I've read on here that it will fit. Can someone confirm this? Also, what size wheel and offset should I use? I remember reading it here a while back but I can't seem to find it..

Thanks...mike

yes they will-no problem at all. I used some 17x10.5's with 6.8 backspacing, which are aftermarket rims for the SN 97 series mustang The backspacing would be better at 6.25 in my opinion, if you can find a rim-or you could use a spacer if your HP level isn't extreme

Sweet. Thank you. I am planning a 521 stroker build. I'm trying to get as much runner on the road as I can. Thanks..

Your are going to need more tire than that.

I'm now running 325-45-17's (M&H) on the aforementioned rims, this is a taller 28" drag radial

They fit after I cut and expanded the inner wheel well to fit flush against the frame rail If you can cut and weld, this is a fairly simple mod and can be done in a day.

With that much engine, I think you'll need to consider back halving the car.

http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu

Your are going to need more tire than that.

I'm now running 325-45-17's (M&H) on the aforementioned rims, this is a taller 28" drag radial

They fit after I cut and expanded the inner wheel well to fit flush against the frame rail If you can cut and weld, this is a fairly simple mod and can be done in a day.

With that much engine, I think you'll need to consider back halving the car.

http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu
Back-half? That sounds like a lot of work for a street car. .lol

No need to back halve it.My 521 makes 630+ hp and 645+ tq.It doesn't really matter how big a street tire is you are going to boil them.I run a 295 BFG TA radial on mine for normal driving and they are useless.I also have 295 MT drag radials,they are much better,traction is much more controllable.A 305 or 315 drag radial will do the trick unless you are planning on a bunch more power than me.

No need to back halve it.My 521 makes 630+ hp and 645+ tq.It doesn't really matter how big a street tire is you are going to boil them.I run a 295 BFG TA radial on mine for normal driving and they are useless.I also have 295 MT drag radials,they are much better,traction is much more controllable.A 305 or 315 drag radial will do the trick unless you are planning on a bunch more power than me.
Nice to know.. the motor I am planning is a 521, 10:1 comp, Edelbrock Air Gap, P-51 heads, and a 246/252 @ .050 cam. I believe it will be just shy of 600hp.

Nice to know.. the motor I am planning is a 521, 10:1 comp, Edelbrock Air Gap, P-51 heads, and a 246/252 @ .050 cam. I believe it will be just shy of 600hp.

You should be north of 600 with a combo like that.Mine is a 521 cam is 247/257 @ 50.SCJ-A heads,11 to 1 compression,Torker 2,950 Holley HP.Mine dyno 630hp@5800 and 645 tq at 4400 before a slight cam change,should be up 7-10 on hp and torque now.

You should be north of 600 with a combo like that.Mine is a 521 cam is 247/257 @ 50.SCJ-A heads,11 to 1 compression,Torker 2,950 Holley HP.Mine dyno 630hp@5800 and 645 tq at 4400 before a slight cam change,should be up 7-10 on hp and torque now.
Nice.. how streetable is that?

It's very streetable it idles about 900 rpms.3000 stall 3.50 gear.950 HP was custom built for street manners with this engine.

It's very streetable it idles about 900 rpms.3000 stall 3.50 gear.950 HP was custom built for street manners with this engine.
Sounds interesting.

The only issue you might have is vacuum.Im not making enough for "good" brakes.Im putting a vacuum pump on this winter.Since I'm having to use a pump anyway I'm going to a bigger cam in the near future.You have a very solid combo in mind.With P51 heads and an Air Gap intake you should make well over 600 if it's done correctly.Is your cam going to be solid lifter?

The only issue you might have is vacuum.Im not making enough for "good" brakes.Im putting a vacuum pump on this winter.Since I'm having to use a pump anyway I'm going to a bigger cam in the near future.You have a very solid combo in mind.With P51 heads and an Air Gap intake you should make well over 600 if it's done correctly.Is your cam going to be solid lifter?
I'm actually thinking hydraulic. I know people have said not to go the hydraulic roller route but I'm not sure yet. As for my brakes, I'm thinking hyrdoboost. From what I have read, it runs off the pressure from my power steering and not engine vaccuum.

Hydroboost is said to work very well. Converting your system to manual brakes is also an option you should consider. Vacuum canister(s) and pumps are also options that can be done cheaply if you want to scrounge parts (Volvo's used electric vacuum pumps and with a relay and a switch that can turn it on and off at regulated pressure levels. You can get everything necessary for under a hundred bucks)

The cam in mine is a hydraulic roller profile running on solid roller lifters.Easy on valvetrain and springs.There is maintenance with solids but they are worth some power over juice lifters.I may end up going hydro boost route but I'm going to try the vacuum pump first. I've heard mixed reviews on them so we will see.

The cam in mine is a hydraulic roller profile running on solid roller lifters.Easy on valvetrain and springs.There is maintenance with solids but they are worth some power over juice lifters.I may end up going hydro boost route but I'm going to try the vacuum pump first. I've heard mixed reviews on them so we will see.
Id like to see how it comes out.. to get back to my original post ...lol.. so with this much power on street tires, it doesn't really matter what size tire I go with I suppose.

No with regular hard street tires even a 315 is going to be a challenge.Like I said the 295 MT drag radials I have make a world of difference, they will still spin but it's controllable.BFG TA radial is like driving on ice I can spin them in high gear at 60-70 mph with a 3.50 gear depending on the road surface.I just use the drag radials when needed.

Back