What defines a SCJ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
I can't find any specific information as to what defines a 1971 SCJ Mustang in either Marti's "Mustang by the Numbers" or my Mustang Recognition Guide.

I see a Marti Report that there is a SCJ Ram Air 429, and I presume an SCJ requires a 3.91 or 4.11 rear end. Are the SCJ's only J codes and not C codes? Or are they a subset of each? What other features are unique to the SCJ's?

Your humble SCJ idiot...

I believe the engine itself will have a solid lifter cam as opposed to a hydraulic on the CJ and PI engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find any specific information as to what defines a 1971 SCJ Mustang in either Marti's "Mustang by the Numbers" or my Mustang Recognition Guide.

I see a Marti Report that there is a SCJ Ram Air 429, and I presume an SCJ requires a 3.91 or 4.11 rear end. Are the SCJ's only J codes and not C codes? Or are they a subset of each? What other features are unique to the SCJ's?

Your humble SCJ idiot...
The easiest way is just to look for the V or Y axle code. There are other differences such as a holley instead of a rochester carb, different engine internals and also a thermactor system.

The drag pack could be installed on either the C or J code engines but is much more common on the J code (10 to 1 if I'm not mistaken).

I actually think that the 71 SCJ car is probably the quickest 65-73 Mustang built but unfortunately it doesn't appear that there was ever a road test done of one.

Here's an example of a Marti report for an SCJ car:

t8n78i.jpg

Wouldn't or shouldn't the engine code be different for a SCJ (solid lifters) vice the C or J code 429 engines?

Are there any external markings to differentiate the SCJ from the CJ?

Wouldn't or shouldn't the engine code be different for a SCJ (solid lifters) vice the C or J code 429 engines?

Are there any external markings to differentiate the SCJ from the CJ?
Do you mean on the car or engine?

There is no external difference to the car to designate that a car is equipped with a drag pack.

My go to positive ID is the axle code on the door tag.

If the car is original the easiest underhood change is the inclusion of the thermactor emissions system. If that's not there I'd look at the intake/carb. There are lots of small differences as well but if you were taking a quick visual look those would be the big ones to look at. One big item which is NOT on a 71 drag pack car is an external oil cooler which was included on both the 69/70 drag pack cars as well as the Torino drag pack cars.

Since the engine parts are different, I would have thought that there would be a separate code for the SCJ engine for the VIN.

Since the engine parts are different, I would have thought that there would be a separate code for the SCJ engine for the VIN.
Ford did not pay special exterior significance to the SCJ, in terms of additional paint or labelling markings. Much confusion out there with the "C" and "J" code designations as many people believe that simply having the "J" code designation (which added the ram air set up), was in fact; the scj upgrade because of the advertised 5 HP gain (375 vs 370 for the non-ram air) with its installation. Not so, you could get either the "cj" or "scj" engine upgrade with the "j" code designation.

I had to chuckle when my CJ vert was featured in the Barn Find section of the MM September, 2015 edition. The front cover refers to it as a '71 SCJ....

Last edited:
Midlife, that would be too easy after dealing with an "H" engine code for years that could of meant a 2bl version of the 351W, 351C, or 351M. We got used to the "Deer in the Headlights" look when asking "Which one do you have"? Ford designed and built a lot of great vehicles and some very nasty performance cars. Identifying the cars and the parts that made them what they were could be difficult at times. All above posts have very good info. If looking at a complete and running car, then checking for the internals that made a 429CJ a SCJ would out of the question. Checking the differential code as mwilson7 suggested as the "V" (3:91) "Y" (4:11) or "W" (4:30-Torino/Cyclone) was restricted to the Drag Pack cars. There was also an adapter that was used between the speedometer cable and the transmission that was used to "correct" the speedometer reading because of the extreme RPM's of the Drag Pack gears. There were different versions used for C6 and 4sp applications. This particular part is very difficult to find and very expensive. (Bad for the people who "Feel" their car is a SCJ)! The SCJ cars also used a unique fuel pump that was shared only with the 69/70 Boss 429. (That also means $$$). As others have posted there were carburetion/intake differences plus the use of the Thermactor emissions system on the SCJ. Some have tried to claim the engine oil cooler came on the 71 Mustang, but it was only on the 69/70 428SCJ Mustang and the 70/71 429 SCJ Torino/Cyclone. If your fortunate enough to find a 429 that still has the metal or paper tag you can check the engine code which was normally a three digit number sometimes followed by a letter.

Hope this has helped some and not made things worse! ahh...and yes, a separate engine code would have been nice! :whistling:

Midlife, that would be too easy after dealing with an "H" engine code for years that could of meant a 2bl version of the 351W, 351C, or 351M. We got used to the "Deer in the Headlights" look when asking "Which one do you have"? Ford designed and built a lot of great vehicles and some very nasty performance cars. Identifying the cars and the parts that made them what they were could be difficult at times. All above posts have very good info. If looking at a complete and running car, then checking for the internals that made a 429CJ a SCJ would out of the question. Checking the differential code as mwilson7 suggested as the "V" (3:91) "Y" (4:11) or "W" (4:30-Torino/Cyclone) was restricted to the Drag Pack cars. There was also an adapter that was used between the speedometer cable and the transmission that was used to "correct" the speedometer reading because of the extreme RPM's of the Drag Pack gears. There were different versions used for C6 and 4sp applications. This particular part is very difficult to find and very expensive. (Bad for the people who "Feel" their car is a SCJ)! The SCJ cars also used a unique fuel pump that was shared only with the 69/70 Boss 429. (That also means $$$). As others have posted there were carburetion/intake differences plus the use of the Thermactor emissions system on the SCJ. Some have tried to claim the engine oil cooler came on the 71 Mustang, but it was only on the 69/70 428SCJ Mustang and the 70/71 429 SCJ Torino/Cyclone. If your fortunate enough to find a 429 that still has the metal or paper tag you can check the engine code which was normally a three digit number sometimes followed by a letter.

Hope this has helped some and not made things worse! ahh...and yes, a separate engine code would have been nice! :whistling:
So the mustangs did not have the oil cooler but the 429 PI and some Taxi 429 engines did? That seems odd especially when they already had the tooling and parts. I have one here somewhere in the hoard for PI motor. Goes where the filter is and then filter on top of it if I remember correct.

David, none of my fleet info shows 429 availability in the Taxi order codes. The full size Ford and Fairlane/Torino Taxi vehicles had the standard 6cy or a optional 302 only. Taxi operators were concerned with economical operation and maintenance. None of which a 429 car in stop and go traffic would have provided.

The first production installed oil cooler for the Police Interceptor started with the 460 in 73 and ran through the end of 78 when 460 availability in the car line came to an end. When I installed the crossbred CJ/PI 429 in my Gran Torino I had to order parts with SCJ Torino numbers. My block was a 71 CJ but the top end was all 72 Police Interceptor. The police car did not have an oil cooler. It did have a switch piggybacked with the oil pressure switch that was supposed to cut the coil off in case of oil pressure drop.(No Thanks)!

Of the 7 429 powered vehicles in our group, the only two that had production installed oil coolers were a 69 Boss 429 and the sole 429 SCJ, a 70 Mercury Cyclone.

David, if you do find that oil cooler set up, could you please check for some engineering numbers for me? After all with your dealings with Ford you also know it's not safe to say Ford never did something! :p

David, none of my fleet info shows 429 availability in the Taxi order codes. The full size Ford and Fairlane/Torino Taxi vehicles had the standard 6cy or a optional 302 only. Taxi operators were concerned with economical operation and maintenance. None of which a 429 car in stop and go traffic would have provided.

The first production installed oil cooler for the Police Interceptor started with the 460 in 73 and ran through the end of 78 when 460 availability in the car line came to an end. When I installed the crossbred CJ/PI 429 in my Gran Torino I had to order parts with SCJ Torino numbers. My block was a 71 CJ but the top end was all 72 Police Interceptor. The police car did not have an oil cooler. It did have a switch piggybacked with the oil pressure switch that was supposed to cut the coil off in case of oil pressure drop.(No Thanks)!

Of the 7 429 powered vehicles in our group, the only two that had production installed oil coolers were a 69 Boss 429 and the sole 429 SCJ, a 70 Mercury Cyclone.

David, if you do find that oil cooler set up, could you please check for some engineering numbers for me? After all with your dealings with Ford you also know it's not safe to say Ford never did something! :p
Steve,

Great that you still have some of the Ford paper trail. I went to the pole barn where the block and transmission is along with oil pan and so odds and ends but did not see the adapter that was where the oil filter went. The guy I bought that engine off back in the early 80's is the one that told me that Taxi cabs had the oil coolers also, rumors get spread. I did find the water pump D2VE B-A and the block is D1VE-A2B. The heads are in a different building buried 5 feet deep will be a while before I dig in there.

I know the late model modular engines have some really nice oil coolers that have a water jacket made from aluminum. I have a 4.6 PI out of I think a 94 or 96 North Carolina Highway patrol car sitting in a 1950 Ford business coupe. I did get the oil cooler and the electric radiator fans.

I will keep and eye out for the oil cooler adapter from the 429.

Here's a picture of an adapter being sold on craigslist...the seller claims is from a 71 scj.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/5925092637.html
From what I have read, the consensus seems to be that any oil cooler found on an original 429 CJ or SCJ in a Mustang would not have been installed at the factory but rather as a dealer installed option with a kit available from Ford.

Oil coolers did not come on the '71 429 cj or scj Mustang from the factory, end of story...

Last edited:
Engine (SCJ solid lifters + holley 780 carb/intake; CJ Rochester Quadrajet, Hydraulic cam - same cam as the Boss 9 was shipped with BTW).

Gear Ratio: 4.11 or 3.91

One pretty solid dead giveaway on whether a J-code body belonged to a CJ or SCJ is the presence (or not) of a return fuel line from the fuel pump back to the tank. The CJ has a return line, the SCJ does not.

Back