'72 Mach 1 Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT
Need info and advice on the original wheels for my '72 Mach 1. Here are some pics of the wheels and tires.

IMG_20170118_164825.jpg

IMG_20170118_163124.jpg

IMG_20170118_163138.jpg

IMG_20170112_171841.jpg

Are these the original wheels and tire size?

Also the big debate...keep these original wheels on the car or go with some new Magnum 500's in a 15" and some nicer tires as well?

Need info and advice on the original wheels for my '72 Mach 1. Here are some pics of the wheels and tires.

Are these the original wheels and tire size?

Also the big debate...keep these original wheels on the car or go with some new Magnum 500's in a 15" and some nicer tires as well?
Those appear to be 14X7" wheels based on the tire size. They do appear to be the factory trim ring and hub cap set up. That size tire is pretty close to the original factory size, 215's would be correct.

Not going to suggest what to do... personal decision... you have to decide how you will finish the car, original or modified, then look at what wheel and tire combo you want moving forward.

I am an "original" guy, leave at that. Good luck in your choices.

Last edited:
The modern equivalent to the original tire size is 215/70/14.

The trim rings and caps look original and what were standard on a 72 Mach 1.

To me, this is a "special car", and as such, will always be worth more if kept original.

Best of luck with your restoration.

Jeff

ITMike5.0, the standard tire for the Mach1 was the E70X14. Your Marti report indicates it was equipped with the optional F70X14 tire which equates to a 215-70R14 or a 225-70R14 depending on what tire manufacture's site you use. With no call out for optional sport wheel covers or Magnums, the trim rings and brushed finish hub caps would have been how your car was built. As Pastel Blue stated it's your personal decision/preference as to which way you want to go with your restoration. If you do decide to go with Magnums or some other styled rim, I would keep the trim rings and hub caps just in case you want to go back completely stock as it was built. With such a low number of cars built with your exterior/ interior combination that would be something I would keep in mind!

My two cents: flashy colors, stripes and shiny Magnums are everywhere. But a white on white with hubcaps and rings....? Now that will stand out!

Now putting on different rims is a modification that is reversible within minutes so even if you decide on Magnums there's no harm as long as you keep the original rims. But your car gets more generic that way.

I know that we all want the flashiest rims and colors but sometimes less is more.

Thanks for the input and opinions everyone. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping original. If anything I'll get a set of aftermarket wheels/tires and keep the originals in the garage for original value and car shows.

The modern equivalent to the original tire size is 215/70/14.

The trim rings and caps look original and what were standard on a 72 Mach 1.

To me, this is a "special car", and as such, will always be worth more if kept original.

Best of luck with your restoration.

Jeff

ITMike5.0, the standard tire for the Mach1 was the E70X14. Your Marti report indicates it was equipped with the optional F70X14 tire which equates to a 215-70R14 or a 225-70R14 depending on what tire manufacture's site you use. With no call out for optional sport wheel covers or Magnums, the trim rings and brushed finish hub caps would have been how your car was built. As Pastel Blue stated it's your personal decision/preference as to which way you want to go with your restoration. If you do decide to go with Magnums or some other styled rim, I would keep the trim rings and hub caps just in case you want to go back completely stock as it was built. With such a low number of cars built with your exterior/ interior combination that would be something I would keep in mind!

My two cents: flashy colors, stripes and shiny Magnums are everywhere. But a white on white with hubcaps and rings....? Now that will stand out!

Now putting on different rims is a modification that is reversible within minutes so even if you decide on Magnums there's no harm as long as you keep the original rims. But your car gets more generic that way.

I know that we all want the flashiest rims and colors but sometimes less is more.

+1 on the comments made so far.
+ 4

::thumb::

Ray

So now that we've discussed the wheels let's move on to the tires. My Marti report shows that my car was ordered with F70x14 and it also says WSW for white side wall. I've been looking at 225/70r14 tires and I really do not see many options with a white side wall. Right now i'm leaning towards either the BFGoodrich Radial T/A or the Cooper Cobra GT's. If I'm going for completely stock do tires or the specific details of original tires having white walls really matter? I mean people change tires all the time throughout the life of their cars. Now I know they offer the Firestone Wide Oval in this size but it's a bit more expensive and also they don't offer the radial version for that size. Thoughts?

Coker Tire and Lucas Tire both carry the white wall tires. The ones on your car look pretty correct. Just don't get the 'wide-white' ones by accident!

I notice Hancook also sells some white-walled 14 inch tires. (Tire Rack)

Ray

Thanks for the input and opinions everyone. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping original. If anything I'll get a set of aftermarket wheels/tires and keep the originals in the garage for original value and car shows.
I did the same thing with mine. I had the same tires spec'd on my Marti as you, but it didn't specify which wheel covers it came with, so I snagged a set of Sport Covers from another forum member (since I prefer them to the Corporate "Dog Dishes" like yours... and what my car likely came with).

The difference between wheels/tires is night and day. I prefer a period correct restomod look, so I went with Cragar S/Ss and some fat Cooper Cobras for normal mode, and still have the "pizza cutters w/sport covers" for when I need to switch back to a more factory look.

Back