Original radios

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flstf09

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 429 CJ
I did a search on here for info.Am I correct by what I read a 72 was available with am radio,am/fm or am/8 track? Anyway I'm looking for an original working radio either am or am/8 track.Does anybody have anything for sale or know where I can get a correctly working nice one?

I'd check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply.

It might be nice if you first had your Marti Report and/or factory invoice to let you know which one your car had when it was new.

Ray

I'm not concerned with having exactly what it came with.It has a cheap aftermarket cassette player that doesn't work in it now.Id just like to have a period correct radio in it.

Understand. Lots of options. Some run a simple AM radio but actually USE a hidden newer MP3-capable sound system.

I've seen them hidden nicely!

Ray

The AM only had one speaker up front in middle.

The AM/FM had speakers in the doors which requires the boots and the wire harness along with the grills and speakers.

The AM/ 8 Track had the same door speakers as the AM/FM.

If you are wanting to look original you will need to find the wire harness and the speakers and grills along with the rubber boots that go between the A post and the door. They are not reproduced. You can get new speakers but not the rubber parts. Pic attached showing on a 73 vert.

I picked up a couple of the AM/ 8tracks on eBay for $90.00 one worked other for parts. You can get them refurbished, usually a .99 cent part bad. Look for a local guy the ones online rip you.

The 8-track tapes require some up keep also and there are people online that sell all the pieces. I use to blow peoples minds with my 8-track with pink floyd dark side of the moon. I blew the speakers a couple times and had to replace, lol. The rubber boots are the hard thing to find they repo the speaker grills and you can get several speakers that will fit.

DSC00120.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

If you just want 'the look' with the additional functionality of AM/FM, USB, MP3, Bluetooth + hands-free phone calls, optional 6-disc CD changer, with plenty of output options for 2 or 4 speaker configurations, with or without amps + sub-woofers, you might look at one of the Retrosound or Custom AutoSound systems. I think they also make antenna plug-in modules to allow plugging an iPod into factory radios.

Here's a shot of my Retrosound Model 2 unit in the dash with a Ford Philco screen protector.

attachment.php

I've thought about the retro looking modern stereo thing.I really don't need all that fancy garbage.I really don't even care about having music,the 521 sings the song I like but the wife bitches about not having tunes.

I've thought about the retro looking modern stereo thing.I really don't need all that fancy garbage.I really don't even care about having music,the 521 sings the song I like but the wife bitches about not having tunes.
Copy That!

I got an original AM radio off ebay for about $35 and hooked it up with the dash speaker which is OK for talk news etc.

(I think I paid as much for the stinkin correct knobs)

I didn't want my side glass blown out for someone to snatch a nice head unit.

When on a trip I throw a blue tooth speaker in the car and play music from my phone.

Paul

I did a search on here for info.Am I correct by what I read a 72 was available with am radio,am/fm or am/8 track? Anyway I'm looking for an original working radio either am or am/8 track.Does anybody have anything for sale or know where I can get a correctly working nice one?
I have an AM/FM 8 track in repairable condition but it's from a 73. it can be yours for the cost of shipping and a pizza.

I have an AM/FM 8 track in repairable condition but it's from a 73. it can be yours for the cost of shipping and a pizza.
Not totally sure about 73 but I know for 1971 and 1972 cars - there were no AM/FM 8-track units. Only AM 8-track. Back when they were new a lot of folks would order the "JC Whitney" version of the FM converter that got power and slid in just like a 8-track tape.

imagesC0DNUDEH.jpg

images4PRP35X9.jpg

Ray

I just purchased a Custom Autosound flip face style retro radio. I was pretty disappointed at its chincy quality for $275. Thinking of sending it back.

Wow - I've heard both good and bad things about them over the years. That sucks to hear more bad news.

I can honestly say I love my Retrosound Model 2. Then again, I kinda like having all that fancy garbage in my ancient muscle car. ;)

Back