R code sportsroof-how many are left? Any owners on the forum?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry. Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars? Thanks, Ryan

Ryan, there only 2 documented '02' R codes found so far. If you have VIN we can look it up to see if it is registered somewhere.

I have a gold glow sportroof R undergoing resto now.

20160728_163820.jpg

20150602_155402.jpg

20150602_155351.jpg

Friend of mine had one. Sold it to a dealer in my neighborhood who has a nice collection of cars, including an original CSX Shelby Cobra.

Here's a pic I took with mine beside it.

IMG_7896.JPG

Contact Rick Ybarra on Facebook.

Ray
Thanks for the info Ray, I will pass the information along. Ryan

[quote

Ryan, there only 2 documented '02' R codes found so far. If you have VIN we can look it up to see if it is registered somewhere.

I have a gold glow sportroof R undergoing resto now.

He doesn't have a vin #. That was the first thing I asked him. It's very unlikely that it is around still. You have a very rare car, good luck on your resto, can't wait to see it on the road. Ryan

Ryan, this may not be the info you were looking for but may help. Steve73QMach1 was compiling some info from the registry site here and had some pretty good break downs on the vehicles and how they were equipped. If he doesn't mind you might contact him and see if he has any engine code info. Would give you some ideal of how many are here.

There is also a site called "In Search of Mustangs". http://www.isomustangs.org/ I have my Mach1's and Mustang GT registered there. They have some really good filters to search out by Year, assembly plant, engine code, etc. As far as "R" codes, I counted 59 1971 and 15 1972 "R" codes. I know this is not the sportsroof only info you were looking for but Hopefully this will "Sorta" help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was at a local show in Utica, Mi. I talked to the owner for awhile. He bought it from the original owner in the late 70's. Had about 75-80k original miles. It was pretty cool. Was missing some stuff under hood, but he said he had all of it.

View attachment 37460View attachment 37461View attachment 37462

Ryan, this may not be the info you were looking for but may help. Steve73QMach1 was compiling some info from the registry site here and had some pretty good break downs on the vehicles and how they were equipped. If he doesn't mind you might contact him and see if he has any engine code info. Would give you some ideal of how many are here.

There is also a site called "In Search of Mustangs". http://www.isomustangs.org/ I have my Mach1's and Mustang GT registered there. They have some really good filters to search out by Year, assembly plant, engine code, etc. As far as "R" codes, I counted 59 1971 and 15 1972 "R" codes. I know this is not the sportsroof only info you were looking for but Hopefully this will "Sorta" help you.
Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into it. Ryan

:chin:

I thought we were looking for 1972 R code Sportsroofs!?!

I see some Mach 1's (or what appear to be Mach 1's) in the mix???

:huh:

Anyway - the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

Here is the breakout for all models:

ALL were [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and [5] 4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop 14

[04] Grande 5

[02] Sportsroof 30

[05] Mach 1 336

[03] Convertible 13

Total 1972 R codes produced 398

Ray

Anyway - the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

ALL were [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and [5] 4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop 14

[04] Grandé 5

[02] Sportsroof 30

[05] Mach 1 336

[03] Convertible 13

Total 1972 R codes produced 398

Ray
If I knew back then when I was looking for a convertible how rare the 72 R codes really were, I would've/should've purchased it. It was a decent price, but needed a lot of and money to bring it back, hence the reason I passed on it. When I saw how many were actually built, I gave myself an uppercut letting another very rare vehicle pass by. Hopefully whoever bought it restored or is restoring it back to its former glory. Oh well another could've, would've, should've cars in my life, too many over the years to count.

Anyway  -  the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

ALL were  [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and  [5]  4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop        14

[04] Grandé         5

[02] Sportsroof    30

[05] Mach 1         336

[03] Convertible   13

Total 1972 R codes produced  398

Ray
I'd love to find a Coupe or Grande R Code.  There was a story in one of the Mustang Magazines that listed twin R Code Coupes as Firestone test cars.  I'll have to look through the paper issues to find it. Online search turns up nothing.

I found an R Code 72 at this guy's private little junkyard. It was the only 71-73 he had. My heart dropped and I went straight to the front lifted the hood and the engine was gone. I am pretty sure he still had the 3.91 rear. I never went back to talk to him, he wasn't home at the time but had given the ok for me to look around his place.

Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry.  Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars?  Thanks, Ryan
I have one of the 30 fastbacks. Med. Bright Yellow, standard black interior with rimblow, full console, and fold-down.

Greg

Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry.  Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars?  Thanks, Ryan
Since you have the original dealer and color combo I would contact Kevin Marti.  He could run the info and probably get you the Marti report and a copy of the window sticker.  They will both provide the VIN.

Good luck.

Ray

I saw one last weekend. It underwent a color change from its original dark green to an owner preferred white this year. I don't know if it is known on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of the one that Brett got his parts from, there was a post here about it going to auction back in June of 2019

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-r-code-auction-se-mi

Guy who won the auction goes by Davidjesse Moore on FB in the 71-73 Mustang pages. Colorful poster, lots of caps lock and exclamation points. Original owner was supposedly an exec with one of the auto supply companies, will dig through his posts and uplaod as much info as I can find.

Note the order type on the Marti - "test vehicle"

72rcode_MI.jpg

72RCODE.pdf

72RCODE.jpg

Attachments

• 72RCODE.pdf
    313.8 KB · Views: 6
Back