R code sportsroof-how many are left? Any owners on the forum?

Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry. Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars? Thanks, Ryan

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

Contact Rick Ybarra on Facebook.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Ryan, there only 2 documented '02' R codes found so far. If you have VIN we can look it up to see if it is registered somewhere.

I have a gold glow sportroof R undergoing resto now.

20160728_163820.thumb.jpg.d1160652b38a37c0653bd33c9f6cd0dc.jpg

20150602_155402.thumb.jpg.79fb0c326a5aecf54d76dd8a54d7dc05.jpg

20150602_155351.thumb.jpg.27b4140c944c61642f836cb3cd1db8a0.jpg

movie stars with addictions go to the Betty Ford clinic,

I take my addiction to the Henry Ford clinic.lollerz

Friend of mine had one. Sold it to a dealer in my neighborhood who has a nice collection of cars, including an original CSX Shelby Cobra.

Here's a pic I took with mine beside it.

IMG_7896.JPG.bb3c8fea7087026779d411b7e849b1cc.JPG

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Contact Rick Ybarra on Facebook.

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray, I will pass the information along. Ryan

[quote

Ryan, there only 2 documented '02' R codes found so far. If you have VIN we can look it up to see if it is registered somewhere.

I have a gold glow sportroof R undergoing resto now.

He doesn't have a vin #. That was the first thing I asked him. It's very unlikely that it is around still. You have a very rare car, good luck on your resto, can't wait to see it on the road. Ryan

Ryan, this may not be the info you were looking for but may help. Steve73QMach1 was compiling some info from the registry site here and had some pretty good break downs on the vehicles and how they were equipped. If he doesn't mind you might contact him and see if he has any engine code info. Would give you some ideal of how many are here.

There is also a site called "In Search of Mustangs". http://www.isomustangs.org/ I have my Mach1's and Mustang GT registered there. They have some really good filters to search out by Year, assembly plant, engine code, etc. As far as "R" codes, I counted 59 1971 and 15 1972 "R" codes. I know this is not the sportsroof only info you were looking for but Hopefully this will "Sorta" help you.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

This one was at a local show in Utica, Mi. I talked to the owner for awhile. He bought it from the original owner in the late 70's. Had about 75-80k original miles. It was pretty cool. Was missing some stuff under hood, but he said he had all of it.

012.thumb.JPG.81c5d57bd13b66b34199eb5a462fecbf.JPG011.thumb.JPG.d27d25860452581d7f8c72a1a0069005.JPG013.thumb.JPG.12b8a94f13063e82a71afc20da11b6d9.JPG

John - 72 Q Code

Ryan, this may not be the info you were looking for but may help. Steve73QMach1 was compiling some info from the registry site here and had some pretty good break downs on the vehicles and how they were equipped. If he doesn't mind you might contact him and see if he has any engine code info. Would give you some ideal of how many are here.

There is also a site called "In Search of Mustangs". http://www.isomustangs.org/ I have my Mach1's and Mustang GT registered there. They have some really good filters to search out by Year, assembly plant, engine code, etc. As far as "R" codes, I counted 59 1971 and 15 1972 "R" codes. I know this is not the sportsroof only info you were looking for but Hopefully this will "Sorta" help you.

Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into it. Ryan

:chin:

I thought we were looking for 1972 R code Sportsroofs!?!

I see some Mach 1's (or what appear to be Mach 1's) in the mix???

:huh:

Anyway - the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

Here is the breakout for all models:

ALL were [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and [5] 4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop 14

[04] Grande 5

[02] Sportsroof 30

[05] Mach 1 336

[03] Convertible 13

Total 1972 R codes produced 398

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Anyway - the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

ALL were [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and [5] 4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop 14

[04] Grandé 5

[02] Sportsroof 30

[05] Mach 1 336

[03] Convertible 13

Total 1972 R codes produced 398

Ray

If I knew back then when I was looking for a convertible how rare the 72 R codes really were, I would've/should've purchased it. It was a decent price, but needed a lot of and money to bring it back, hence the reason I passed on it. When I saw how many were actually built, I gave myself an uppercut letting another very rare vehicle pass by. Hopefully whoever bought it restored or is restoring it back to its former glory. Oh well another could've, would've, should've cars in my life, too many over the years to count.

• 6 months later...

Anyway  -  the 72 R codes are all very cool and desirable cars.

ALL were  [R] 351-4V HO V-8 and  [5]  4-Speed Manual Wide Ratio

[01] Hardtop        14

[04] Grandé         5

[02] Sportsroof    30

[05] Mach 1         336

[03] Convertible   13

Total 1972 R codes produced  398

Ray

I'd love to find a Coupe or Grande R Code.  There was a story in one of the Mustang Magazines that listed twin R Code Coupes as Firestone test cars.  I'll have to look through the paper issues to find it. Online search turns up nothing.

I found an R code coupe here in Tennessee about 2 years ago. It was burned out hulk of a car with nothing going for it. Owner wanted 7K for what would have been a title and a giant pile of rust (and the engine was gone)

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

I found an R Code 72 at this guy's private little junkyard. It was the only 71-73 he had. My heart dropped and I went straight to the front lifted the hood and the engine was gone. I am pretty sure he still had the 3.91 rear. I never went back to talk to him, he wasn't home at the time but had given the ok for me to look around his place.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry.  Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars?  Thanks, Ryan

I have one of the 30 fastbacks. Med. Bright Yellow, standard black interior with rimblow, full console, and fold-down.

Greg

Does anyone know how many 72 R code sportsroofs are still around Does anyone on the forum own one? A friend of mine's dad bought one new back in 71 and is trying to locate it. It was a 72 R code sportsroof, not a Mach, color was Pewter silver with red interior. He bought it new from a Ford dealer in Greenville IL, the dealer is no longer in business. He traded in at the same dealer and was told a woman from around the same area bought it. He lost track of it over the years. Out of the 398 R codes produced I think there were only 30 sportsroof produced in 72. I've searched the web for a 72 Mustang R code registry but I can only find a Boss 351 registry.  Does anyone have any info of any R code sportsroofs that are still around or info on a registry for these cars?  Thanks, Ryan

Since you have the original dealer and color combo I would contact Kevin Marti.  He could run the info and probably get you the Marti report and a copy of the window sticker.  They will both provide the VIN.

Good luck.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if any other 72 R codes have surfaced?

THX

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Here's a pic of the one that Brett got his parts from, there was a post here about it going to auction back in June of 2019

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-r-code-auction-se-mi

Guy who won the auction goes by Davidjesse Moore on FB in the 71-73 Mustang pages. Colorful poster, lots of caps lock and exclamation points. Original owner was supposedly an exec with one of the auto supply companies, will dig through his posts and uplaod as much info as I can find.

Note the order type on the Marti - "test vehicle"

72rcode_MI.jpg.5547102d4480cdf8502aad4797e27cab.jpg

72RCODE.pdf

72RCODE.thumb.jpg.3e5b0be53b5814a52e562c935caa6cfb.jpg

That's the one and it is now white/black.

I was told it was used as a promotional car by Ford and the executive bought it for his son, who tragically passed in 1980 and there it sat in that carport until this last summer. It only had 11700 some odd miles on the odometer.

Looking at the Marti report I see that it was built the same day as my wife's Mach 1. Neat.

Brett

• 2 months later...

I bought one in ‘92. It was mostly complete, medium lime green metallic. It had been repainted. I fixed it up and painted it my favorite Grabber Blue. Poor decision to sell it around 2007. I can buy it back....but lacking funds at the moment. Too many cars, bikes and an airplane. Not enough cash.

Just closed a deal on another one, which needs some work. It’s not nearly in as good of shape as my previous R code. I’ll post picks in a new thread once it arrives here.

I’ve seen 2 others in 40 years of messing about with them. I went to a Russo and Steele auction in Phoenix in 2003 or so. Maybe 2005. It was the year the first time a Cobra sold for over a million. There was a yellow coupe with the sport stripes and a fastback. I don’t remember the details on the fastback. I think it was red. My memory is they were both nice, but not perfect. Some of the details were off on the yellow one. In the early 90s there was a coupe for sale in S. Carolina I considered. White with a vinyl top.

I recall a story about 2 convertibles in Canada.

I recall a car in my youth sporting 351 H.O badging, similar to BOSS 351 badging. I’ve never seen another. Until today. I found an article on line documenting a yellow coupe with those badges. Article states they are original. I doubt that claim. But I do like them.

There was an article in Mustang and Fords in 1992 or 93 listing 10 rarest Mustangs. 72 R code was on it. It was so rare, the editors knew very little. They solicited info. I think it was Jim Smart. I spent quite a bit of time writing a nice article as I had just finished my car. It came back un opened, no thanks. About 15 years later the magazine was still trying to figure out what these cars are about.

Link to my 72 Q code: pics added 2/16/19

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/28719/88030-2

Link to my now sold 72 H.O

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/5858

My 70 Boss racecar

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/6520

Here's a pic of the one that Brett got his parts from, there was a post here about it going to auction back in June of 2019

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-r-code-auction-se-mi

Guy who won the auction goes by Davidjesse Moore on FB in the 71-73 Mustang pages. Colorful poster, lots of caps lock and exclamation points. Original owner was supposedly an exec with one of the auto supply companies, will dig through his posts and uplaod as much info as I can find.

Note the order type on the Marti - "test vehicle"

Does anyone know what this car sold for at auction?   I really like the greens on this car.  cant believe someone would paint it white but I guess we all have our preferences.