INTERIOR PARTS/QUALITY DIFFERENCES

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
So now that the holes in my cowl are welded up and has 4 coats of POR15 inside and out, it's time to buy parts for my 72 Mach with Blue Sports Interior Option.

I saw my question asked in a post from 2011, (little old) so I'll ask you all again for your latest personal experiences.

WHERE TO BUY MY STUFF?

I realize that Don with Ohio Mustang is mentioned a lot on the website. Maybe he'll chime in. I recently purchased a few items from NPD and they were made by Daniel Carpenter Restoration Parts. I bought items over the years that have come from Scott Drake.

I know about CJ Pony Parts also. (free shipping) So who has the best stuff? Stuff that actually fits and has quality? Are there manufacturers to avoid?

Items I plan to purchase:

1. Dash Pad. I know about Dashes Direct. OEM tool vs. repro

2. Carpet. I know about ACC. NPD and CJ use them. Rock Auto has ACC cheap.

3. Door Panels. Hard to find Blue. I've read nothing but complaints about fitment with the Deluxe panels.

4. Instrument bezel, both glove box sections, and wood grain center bezel.

5. Wood grain door inserts for the door panels

Anybody have advice or experiences that relate to these items?

I need to purchase, so it's decision time?

Thanks

I got my ACC carpet at rock auto. They have the best prices. Not a fan of Scott Drake parts but any thing I got that was made by Daniel Carpenter fit well.

John J

I have a repop "original ford tooling" dash pad. Fitment was fine. Only issue I had was the finish on the of the edges being rough so I had to smooth them off a little. Other than that my interior was in really good shape.

Not sure what level you're building towards (faithful restoration/concourse, daily driver, restomod, etc.), but it sounds like you're expecting a little bit of fitment issues since you're going with repop parts.

I purchased all of the parts you listed, except for the door panel trim (I cleaned up and reused mine).  In fact, I pretty much had to buy just about everything new/repop for mine, since basically everything except the hard plastic and metal trim pieces were toast.

1.  I got the repro - fits just fine and looks great.  I've heard others have had issue with theirs, though.

2.  I went with ACC Cut-Pile carpet in mine.  I hate the loop stuff, and got mine from CJPP.  It's molded, and if I would've have moved my seat platforms back 2" for more legroom, it would've been perfect.  It's been in for over 2 years now, and even though some of the molded areas didn't initially match up properly, it has settled in perfectly.

3.  I got my door panels from OMS.  You'll have to carefully cut-in the door handle, latch opening, and speaker holes (if you have door speakers).  Take your time and be careful - they'll look great.  Make sure to get the 'long' door panel clips... the OEM or Stock versions come up a little short.

4.  I got these from OMS as well.  Fit perfectly and look great.  I replaced the woodgrain vinyl with 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl on the center piece and door trim panels.  Woodgrain's for Country Squire station wagons. ;) :D

5.  See comment above. rofl

Bonus:  I went with seat upholstery by TMI Products through CJPP.  I liked the Sport Seats because they have some added bolsters (more comfy) but still look almost factory.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Almost forgot: this is what I started with.  Suffice it to say, I'm happy with the repop stuff.

attachment.php

Hope this helps.

Thanks Eric,

I'm doing original interior.  Mach 1 Sports Interior.  My 67 fstbk has a deluxe interior, and this is the equivalent for 72.

I like an interior that looks clean and new.  All the chrome plastic actually chrome, ect...

My intention with the original post was just to avoid poor manufacturers of the aftermarket items that are available.

For instance again, the chrome plastic.  A poorly fitting/molded dash pad.  

OMS doesn't list Blue deluxe door panels.  I can always call them, but Blue seems much rarer to find than Black, White, and Ginger.

I've read reviews of deluxe door panels being poor copies of the originals and because there are different manufacturers of all these pieces, I thought I would try to collect information on where to actually purchase from.

Thanks again

I got replacement deluxe door panels, I think they were from CJPP.

I had some fitment issues, most notably the holes for the clips didn't line up. After some trying and cursing I decided to use heavy duty double sided adhesive tape to keep them in place. It works fine but it's of course not concourse correct. :)

Also the line at the top was not correct. The originals curve up at the corner next to the quarter panel and that curve was not pronounced enough so the original chrome molding fit poorly. All that can be tweaked to fit but I'm not thrilled.

It still beats the worn original pieces though when it comes to looks.

Only thing is I can't remember the manufacturer.

I think on reason some of us run into fitment issues while others don't is the production tolerances of our cars. A few fractions of an inch here a few there and suddenly a part that will fit fine on my car won't fit on yours.... That's just a guess but I think it might be an explanation.

Back