Engine block question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

york0060

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v, Auto
I have read in other forum topics about the 73 Cleveland motor mounts are different that the 71/72 years. My question is did the block casting change or something else. Just curios because I am building a 1971 351 Cleveland block with 1970 heads for my 1973.

Thanks

351 c.jpg

351 c2.jpg

Block casting is the same. Mounts for 73 are different and one year only. If you use 71-72 mounts you will have to change out the frame perches to accept the 71-72 mounts.

Correct, no difference in mounting points on a Cleveland (or any small block Ford)

When I do my new engine I'll be getting the 73 mounts redone and I'll be doing the old trick of running a counter sunk bolt into thick wide washer, up through the mount, a thick washer and a nylock nut on the other side and just nipped up. That way it limits the travel of the mount under hard acceleration. An oldie but a goodie and works well.

Correct, no difference in mounting points on a Cleveland (or any small block Ford)

When I do my new engine I'll be getting the 73 mounts redone and I'll be doing the old trick of running a counter sunk bolt into thick wide washer, up through the mount, a thick washer and a nylock nut on the other side and just nipped up. That way it limits the travel of the mount under hard acceleration. An oldie but a goodie and works well.
thanks, do you have a picture of what you are doing with the Csink bolt or a quick sketch.

Thanks

Back