Original Documentation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT
For all of the "original" guys out there this question is mostly for you.

What documentation and other printed items do you feel completes this car and are must have's?

- invoice

- owners manual

- brochures

- vintage ads or posters

- original decals and stickers

Anything else? Also if you have something original that went above and beyond that you are proud of please post up some pics!

::thumb::

Restoring my car and keeping it original is a decision that I have already made. Now I also feel it is important to have some of these original items as well to complete the package. One thing I found online that I thought was pretty cool and will print out (maybe excessive :D ) is a picture I found online of the actual dealership where my car was first purchased in CA.

HolidayFordSunnyvaleCA.JPG

For all of the "original" guys out there this question is mostly for you.

What documentation and other printed items do you feel completes this car and are must have's?

- invoice

- owners manual

- brochures

- vintage ads or posters

- original decals and stickers

Anything else? Also if you have something original that went above and beyond that you are proud of please post up some pics!

::thumb::

Restoring my car and keeping it original is a decision that I have already made. Now I also feel it is important to have some of these original items as well to complete the package. One thing I found online that I thought was pretty cool and will print out (maybe excessive :D ) is a picture I found online of the actual dealership where my car was first purchased in CA.
That picture is a great addition. I'll have to check and see what little things I have amassed and others will surely give you ideas. Two things I did was I found someone who had an original old state inspection sticker for the year of my car and I also found plates from 73 and registered them to my car.

I guess it depends on what purpose you plan on using the "documentation" for. If it's for verifying what the car is and what it came with, then, to me, the relevant documents are the build sheets (if you can find them in the car), the Eminger invoice, and the Marti report. Also good to have on the car are any original stickers from the factory, the buck tag, and other drivetrain tags like engine tag, tranny tag, differential tag, etc.

If it's for show, then original Ford literature is cool to have. For example, I have copies of the 71, 72, and 73 Mustang brochures, even though I own a 71, although in my past, I owned 2 73s and 3 other 71s. I also have the 71 Sport Set and 71 Smart Set Ford brochures, the October 71 edition of Ford Times (same month as my build), and the September 1970 copy of Motor Trend that featured the new Mustangs.

That picture is a great addition. I'll have to check and see what little things I have amassed and others will surely give you ideas. Two things I did was I found someone who had an original old state inspection sticker for the year of my car and I also found plates from 73 and registered them to my car.
That license plate idea is really cool. I looked up the rules here in FL and it looks like I could do the same thing! The other option is to get a license plate from California where the car was purchased that has 72-73 stickers on it and put it on the car for car shows. Heck...I guess I could do both!

:bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
That license plate idea is really cool. I looked up the rules here in FL and it looks like I could do the same thing! The other option is to get a license plate from California where the car was purchased that has 72-73 stickers on it and put it on the car for car shows. Heck...I guess I could do both!

:bravo:
My antique motorcycle comes from a family member from California and I still have the plate although I run with a NY one when driving. If you can do it in Florida I would try and get a period correct plate registered to your car. It's a great look. Makes the car faster too.

Were are you in FLA? I just got back from there last week. Both coasts.

My antique motorcycle comes from a family member from California and I still have the plate although I run with a NY one when driving. If you can do it in Florida I would try and get a period correct plate registered to your car. It's a great look. Makes the car faster too.

I'm south of Tampa in North Port

I'm south of Tampa in North Port
Ahh. I was further south on Marco Island.

I think you left out one. You need to be on the lookout for any dealer promotional items. Like pens, pencils, rulers, coffee mugs, etc. Get on ebay and save a search with the dealer name. That way you will get email notices of anything related that comes up for sale on ebay.

If you feel like getting serious, you can get access to old newspaper archives. (the ones located near the dealership)

Sometimes you really have to do your homework because newspapers change owners and actually go out of business/print. Usually the state of record keeps the archives and might have all of the papers on microfilm. You will be searching for articles and ads.

You just have to research/inquire. And just because you hear a "no", don't quit. Look for other avenues to get what you want.

I have been very fortunate in my own searches!

Good luck!!!!

Ray

My car came from California. I have the original license plates and the dealership's plate holders. That dealership is still in business, but unfortunately have no records back that far. I was able to contact the family of the original owner, who unfortunately had passed away. They were able to send me the original window sticker and a ledger that was kept up for the first 3 years recording every drop of gas that was put in it, along with the complete history since new.

I have the factory invoice, window sticker and 3 build sheets found in the car when it was stripped and repainted. From the California DMV, I was able to get a complete list of previous owners, including myself! The only document I don't have is the original dealer sales invoice, but as this car was bought as a graduation present, that would explain that. Also missing were the Operators booklets, which are available as reproductions. I have the deluxe Marti Report as well which shows my car to be a 1 of 6 "Plain Jane" , only 3 options listed!!

When I show the car, I have a board that has copies of the Marti Report and factory invoice along with a brief description of the car and history. That alone brings people in to look closer.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

Mike,

Here you go...

28wf7e9.jpg

I have the original plastic bag that the owners manual and warranty information came in. It has the Ford logo on it and a hole that I'm guessing was for hanging it off one of the dash knobs. I think most people used it as a litter bag back in the day. I also have the Dealers sticker that was never put on the car. Sweeney Ford of Greenfield Mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. You got me motivated again. I just checked my file and I have the original owners folio with the dealership information the salesmans name and the original owners name. I left a message at the dealership and I have a line on the whereabouts of the owner. Maybe I can get some old documents or photos and history about my car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My dealership went out of business, but I went to the county and got blueprints for the original building, along with period photos, and then took pictures of the dealership today (it's volkswagon now) for my file.

Steve

Well thanks again for this topic. I found the original owner of my car last night and he just called. His new wife got on the phone and told me she literally was going through his old photos to make an album today and was holding three or four pictures of him with the car!

They don't have an email address so she is mailing me photocopies. Should be interesting.

Well thanks again for this topic. I found the original owner of my car last night and he just called. His new wife got on the phone and told me she literally was going through his old photos to make an album today and was holding three or four pictures of him with the car!

They don't have an email address so she is mailing me photocopies. Should be interesting.

Good job! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Ray

Very cool! I'm going to submit a request for information to the CA DMV. Hopefully I can find the original owner and from there who knows what I could find. Glad my post inspired you. :D Can't wait to see the pics you receive.

Good luck with CA dmv. My recollection in dealing with them is they are not prone to release information in light of a criminal matter that took place many years ago. Hopefully that is not the case or at worst they will just notice the person you are inquiring about. I'm looking forward to see how you do.

Back