1971 - 72 Shelby

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Recently I had come across a web site that provides pictures and a write up on 1971, 1972 Shelby Mustangs. This site is right protected so could not cut and past article to the 7173 web. The short condensed version is that an individual named Claude Dubois (Belgium) was known and licensed by Carroll Shelby to build a few prototypes(?). Based on this, I was wondering if any of our UK members have ever seen these, has pictures or can provide more information. Certainly an interesting twist to the history of our 71 - 73 cars.

Mac

You would think with how little is known about these cars that they would post a few more pictures highlighting the unique parts of these cars.....,..

There's info about those cars on the forum. What's more we have the owner of both verts on here as a member and one or two guys owning sports roofs.

Recently I had come across a web site that provides pictures and a write up on 1971, 1972 Shelby Mustangs. This site is right protected so could not cut and past article to the 7173 web. The short condensed version is that an individual named Claude Dubois (Belgium) was known and licensed by Carroll Shelby to build a few prototypes(?). Based on this, I was wondering if any of our UK members have ever seen these, has pictures or can provide more information. Certainly an interesting twist to the history of our 71 - 73 cars.

Mac
I have seen two, one of them is sitting in my garage. :cool:

They were only build in 1971 and Claude build 7 sportroofs and 2 convertibles.

I have the sportsroof with the special GT500 engine, this is an one of one car. This has been confirmed by Claude to me when I spoke with him many years ago.

There is supposed to be 1 car made with the 429CJ engine but that has not been found yet. I have lots of info on these cars, I also have a copy of the "sales" brochure or something that looks like it. I purchased it together with a set of NOS stripes and Shelby emblems from the guy that purchased all the left overs from Claude.

My car is still not changed from how I bought it, a very rusty car but with all Shelby Europa specific parts and numbers matching drivetrain.

The other owner from the sportsroof in the Netherlands purchased my original fenders but does not want to sell them to me (yet) :chin:

The fenders still wear the original stripes and damage, I have the front valley that continues the damage so that's why I'm sure these fenders belong to my car.

Edwin

Mac
I have seen two, one of them is sitting in my garage. :cool:

They were only build in 1971 and Claude build 7 sportroofs and 2 convertibles.

I have the sportsroof with the special GT500 engine, this is an one of one car. This has been confirmed by Claude to me when I spoke with him many years ago.

There is supposed to be 1 car made with the 429CJ engine but that has not been found yet. I have lots of info on these cars, I also have a copy of the "sales" brochure or something that looks like it. I purchased it together with a set of NOS stripes and Shelby emblems from the guy that purchased all the left overs from Claude.

My car is still not changed from how I bought it, a very rusty car but with all Shelby Europa specific parts and numbers matching drivetrain.

The other owner from the sportsroof in the Netherlands purchased my original fenders but does not want to sell them to me (yet) :chin:

The fenders still wear the original stripes and damage, I have the front valley that continues the damage so that's why I'm sure these fenders belong to my car.

Edwin
Edwin,

Thank you very much for the info. Have you posted photos? You are extremely fortunate to own a special part of Mustang history. Please update this site with any changes. I'm sure many members would be interested.

Thanks again!

Mac

Love the info about the rare Shelbys, but I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta leave this right here:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

rofl

These are the photos of my old fenders hanging on the wall.

The car shown here is the other Shelby Europa in the Netherlands. This is a manual while mine is an auto.

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

I checked out the other site but I still don't understand exactly what the difference is between the GT350 and the GT500. Are the vin numbers consecutive?

I checked out the other site but I still don't understand exactly what the difference is between the GT350 and the GT500. Are the vin numbers consecutive?
Some of the vins are consecutive. Mine is the last one build as far as I know.

The difference between the 350 and 500 is the engine. The 350's all have the 351C with shelby intake and valve covers. The 500 could be with the 429 or 351C Special. The special means 780 carburator and special camshaft. Claude told me he build one car, possibly two with this special engine.

I also thought there were some of our cars sold in Mexico as Shelby upgrades. I know they made the 73 Sprints but I thought there was also a Shelby model in 71 or 72.
Thats correct, there is very little info, even less then on the European Shelby's available. As far as I know the Mexican Shelby's were optical upgrades only while the European version had engine and some other mechanical upgrades.

The newest 2014 SAAC Shelby World Registry Book Part III contains a 6-page article  (pp 1419-1424) about Shelby Europas with updated data about those rare cars with individual car history.  I was co-authoring this book chapter together with Wolfgang Kohrn (of Germany) by request of Rick Kopec from SAAC, and Edwin van Beurden (of the Netherlands) had given a marked input to the manufacturing data presented. The individual car data was crosschecked with Ford Factory Mustang production data (obtained from Kevin Marti) and Claude Dubois' personal files.

As you can guess, clones and tributes are made and presented in internet. Even a fake was for sale on eBay  a few years ago with fabricated 1997 book chapter car production table.

As a brief summary, all 9 Shelby Europas based on 1971 Mustangs, none on 1972 Mustangs as was presented earlier (1997 SAAC World Registry Book). All cars went via Bob Ford in Detroit, so the DSO codes are 33 for cars (2 cars) made in 1970 and 48 for cars (7 cars) made in 1971. The Shelby Europa VINs are the same as those as Ford Mustang VINs. Claude Dubois put his own metallic Data Plate for these cars; there are two data plate shapes.

Claude registered all 351-cid cars as GT-350 models regardless whether they were 320-Hp standard 351-cid  cars or GT-500 versions with 351-HO engines with 360-Hp. In addition as an interesting feature,  the 1971 Shelby Europas were registered officially as 1969 Shelbys !!

All 7 cars were 02-body style fastbacks (Ford used term Sportsroof, none were 05-code Mach1s), and 2 cars were 03-code convertibles.

Originally by Ford VIN, seven were M-code 351-4V cars, one H-code 351-2V  and one  J-code 429SCJ. According to Claude's  files, Edwin's  fastback and both my convertibles were GT-500 versions with 351-HO engines. Naturally, the white 429SCJ fastback is a GT-500.

The whereabouts of 6 cars is known. The missing cars are:

1) the red as new sold to Switzerland (1F02M155024)

2) the red Felix Bastiaanse's car that was stolen in 1987 (1F02M179936)

3) the white 429SCJ GT-500 (1F02J203129)

Good write up Rauno!

Perhaps you could post some nice pics of your cars, you have the best pictures of these rare cars as yours are the closest to original at this moment.

About 20 years ago I saw a baby blue 71 Shelby Mustang in Colorado Springs driving south on Academy Blvd. and saw it again at Walmart on Platte, took some pictures but lost them.

Back