Polished Aluminum Valve Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Has anyone tried or have experience trying to clear coat or have a clear powder coat applied to polished aluminum valve covers? I like the look of the covers I ordered but am concerned about trying to keep them looking nice under the hood.

These polished covers had hard water spots that would not polish out.

1qrhoz.jpg

I'm not a fan of polished aluminum from that experience and looking forward

to clear coat options.

Paul

There's a product called shine seal. You can buy it at Summit Racing. There's also videos out there. I don't know how it holds up the heat but you can call the manufacturer and ask

There's a product called shine seal. You can buy it at Summit Racing. There's also videos out there. I don't know how it holds up the heat but you can call the manufacturer and ask

Here is that video link: BTW this is not an endorsement by me - just thought I'd provide the link...

Ray

Wow. Thanks for the suggestions. I also talked to my local powder coat place and they asked if I could bring down the valve covers for them to look at. I will post up what they say as well.

Got an update on this. Stopped down at my local powder coat place to talk about the valve covers. They has a sample polished alum valve cover that they had coated 4-5 years ago for an employee. He ran it on his car for 2+ years. It still looked like new. Only thing that they wanted to really point out to me was the clear powder coat will make the aluminum appear just a shade darker. (not much). Being OK with this I said lets go for it. They are going to polish them up, smooth out the finish and clear powder coat them. All for $65 plus tax. I will be able to pick them up next week and post up some pics.

They are a pretty big powder coating place. I have had them do a lot of stuff for me. Railings, gates, headers, intake, etc. They always treat me well and do a fantastic job.

on the headers they Cerakote on the outside and insulkote on the inside. They have a special wand for spraying the insulkote on the inside. Pretty neat process. you can actually put your hands near the headers while running without burning them up. I have run them for over a year and they still look the same as when they were just done.

Headers.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember right the headers I had done with my intake at the same time. Was a little less than $200 for everything. The headers has to have the shipping coating from factory removed and the intake was used and pretty rough. Here is a pic of the intake.

IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back