Anyone do a windsor swap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Is it possible to swap in a 351W?

I have alot more experience with Windsors than I do Clevelands. I was just curious if there was any swap kits around for the 71-73 mustang to bolt in a windsor or if the windsor just drops right in without any kind of adaptors.

I just finished my 302W a while back for my Bronco. Came out really nice.

71-73's were available with a 302 so obviously you can make the swap. But unless you have some financial incentive to do the swap why would you want to remove the best designed engine ford ever produced and install the older, less efficient agricultural lump?

just a question. No particular reason, other than I was thinking of using a DART Block. Didnt know if it would fit the motor mounts or not.

Yup, same mounts. I swapped to a windsor because my Cleveland died on me and I had a freshly built windsor on an engine stand. I love it in every way. It is alot easier to work on and a better fit in the engine compartment in my opinion. It will be residing there until it dies.

I swapped my 302 for a 351W crate engine. Perfect fit. Motor mounts fit with no problem.

Trans fit too. I think we reused the 302 flexplate.

Only thing is you need to get a little creative on the exhaust. 302 had single pipe, 351C manifolds will not fit if I'm not mistaken.

There is a special set of Hedman shorty headers designed for the exact purpose of putting a 351W in a 123 Mustang so it appears it's more common than one might think. Those headers can be made to fit a standard 351 exhaust.

awesome guys! Thanks for the info. Once I get my shop built in a couple of years, Im going to start work on the mustang. I am still deciding if I want to do a Dart Block windsor, or go ahead and go modern with a 5.0 Coyote and a 6R80. Either way will be awesome. I might be able to do the coyote swap cheaper though.

awesome guys!  Thanks for the info.  Once I get my shop built in a couple of years, Im going to start work on the mustang.  I am still deciding if I want to do a Dart Block windsor, or go ahead and go modern with a 5.0 Coyote and a 6R80.  Either way will be awesome.  I might be able to do the coyote swap cheaper though.
This is the swap that I'm leaning towards. Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this swap?

awesome guys!  Thanks for the info.  Once I get my shop built in a couple of years, Im going to start work on the mustang.  I am still deciding if I want to do a Dart Block windsor, or go ahead and go modern with a 5.0 Coyote and a 6R80.  Either way will be awesome.  I might be able to do the coyote swap cheaper though.
This is the swap that I'm leaning towards. Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this swap?

Several have done the coyote swap. It's just really expensive, like $20k for everything

Back