C-6 Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Another piece I worked on. When I got the car, I could have sworn it was 4-speed... there was enough side to side play in the shifter you would have thought there was additional gears to move into... the bushings were complete toast. Items such as this have been par for the course with this car. It is truly amazing how this thing held together all these years.

I replaced the two bushings at the base of the gear lever, the blue light diffuser, added a new LED bulb, replaced the broken and missing shifter pointer and also painted the used one I had for it. Everything was lubed where necessary, the original neutral start switch was still in good shape so it was cleaned up, re-taped (wiring under the trans tunnel) etc., and returned the shifter back to the car. It feels like a brand new unit.

Last edited:
well now.. just learned another new thing.. plastic bushings on the shifter and u can buy them.. mine had the exact problem as described.. when i took mine apart i saw nothing inside or around it that would suggest a plastic bushing. i used sheet mtl and curved it to be the new bushing sleeve. gotta say it worked perfectly but i still learned to ask before assuming...

Our friend at Ohio Mustang... fit perfectly, as I noted, like a new shifter... I guess you could make something , but the fit of these two once installed is perfect.

There's a guy over here that makes (don't know if he's still around) the bushes for all types of shifters from brass. They are fantastic and best of all will last near for ever. Worked great and made the factory shifter change great when racing, while retaining the factory look. I'll have find if he's still around and get some for when I put the new drivetrain in later in the year. Best of all they were cheap.

There's a guy over here that makes (don't know if he's still around) the bushes for all types of shifters from brass. They are fantastic and best of all will last near for ever. Worked great and made the factory shifter change great when racing, while retaining the factory look. I'll have find if he's still around and get some for when I put the new drivetrain in later in the year. Best of all they were cheap.
Yes, brass would be awesome for longevity, especially under extreme conditions as you note. I think for my purposes, the poly type replacements will be fine.

Yes, brass would be awesome for longevity, especially under extreme conditions as you note. I think for my purposes, the poly type replacements will be fine.
Nothing wrong at all with the poly type and for the part time driver like most of our cars are more than adequate. Those brass ones were great, especially on the racing side. I've never had one of those stupid looking shifters with an automatic transmission, because if you can't change gears with a standard shifter on an auto then it's time to give away. On a manual on the other hand, absolutely as most standard shifters are just crap.

PS we never got a Hurst shifter on our cars over here, just good enough for a daily driver, hence smacking gears and having a shifter in your hand ain't much fun, lol.

Back