427fe worth

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebite8

Reaction score
My Car
67-fastback gt k-code
72-mach 1 HO
427 2.jpg427 3.jpg427.jpgfor years I have kept in contact with the owner of this engine. he said he is willing to sell his 427fe engine. his father built the engine over 30yrs ago. he turns the engine twice a month. he asked me to make a fair offer on it. he has no idea what its worth. I am not sure what I could offer on it. any ideas?

yea. I need him to take some pics of the stamped numbers on the engine

for years I have kept in contact with the owner of this engine. he said he is willing to sell his 427fe engine. his father built the engine over 30yrs ago. he turns the engine twice a month. he asked me to make a fair offer on it. he has no idea what its worth. I am not sure what I could offer on it. any ideas?
Dad sold a 427 tunnel port engine with a 2x4 carbs last year. It was still in the Ford shipping crate from 1967. Dads notebook on it says it was an "HM" engine. He got $18,000 for it.

There were 2 other complete 427's that sold for $6,000 each. There were no notes about them.

Lastly he sold a 427 SOHC - notes say "Full Cammer - break in only" He got $28,000 for it.

A pallet of loose 427 parts - heads, cranks, intakes, ect sold for $10,000.

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers wont help you. A side oiler is easily spotted by a hump on the drivers side over the oil pan. The MT intake with the distributor mount is cool only. Tell him to keep it! It is worth $1,500. The headers are about $1,000. The heads are MR or LR b/c the MT intake was not made for other heads. Edelbrok heads are far better than any factory heads. Now the determination of value is difficult without disassembling the engine. A long block is worth maybe $6-8. If it is not for an original R code Galaxie it is not worth that much. The aftermarket blocks are far better. So it is not worth it to buy the factory stuff except for an original car. Especially on a sealed motor where the internals are questionable at best. What rods? What pistons etc.

An aftermarket block is $3,600

Edelbrock heads $1,500

Rotating assemply $2300 Balanced and ready for assembly

This is for all new stuff! It is far better than the old stuff from the 60's. When I built my Kirkham I had an original block and TP heads. I got rid of them and bought all new. So it depends what you ae going to do

my old 67 coupe that I sold my cousin is a factory 390 car. the engine needs to be completely rebuilt. so me and my cousin thought maybe its best to do this 427 and drop in it. and keep the 390 in the garage.

Dad sold a 427 tunnel port engine with a 2x4 carbs last year. It was still in the Ford shipping crate from 1967. Dads notebook on it says it was an "HM" engine. He got $18,000 for it. This is different An HM engine is perfect for collectors

There were 2 other complete 427's that sold for $6,000 each. There were no notes about them. Exactly they are more like the one mentioned

Lastly he sold a 427 SOHC - notes say "Full Cammer - break in only" He got $28,000 for it. A cammer is a different animal

A pallet of loose 427 parts - heads, cranks, intakes, ect sold for $10,000. That's crazy unless there were some cammer parts there

Just looking at it, I'd say it's worth about $6k-$7k. The cast headers are worth about $1600-$2000. Be sure to check to see if it's a 427 and not a 406. But either is valuable in their own circles. Date codes and casting numbers are everything with FE engines.

And then there is that Boss 302 in the background...

Dad sold a 427 tunnel port engine with a 2x4 carbs last year. It was still in the Ford shipping crate from 1967. Dads notebook on it says it was an "HM" engine. He got $18,000 for it. This is different An HM engine is perfect for collectors

There were 2 other complete 427's that sold for $6,000 each. There were no notes about them. Exactly they are more like the one mentioned

Lastly he sold a 427 SOHC - notes say "Full Cammer - break in only" He got $28,000 for it. A cammer is a different animal

A pallet of loose 427 parts - heads, cranks, intakes, ect sold for $10,000. That's crazy unless there were some cammer parts there
We were so glad that all of the parts he had were sold before he passed. The total sale amount was well over 100K! Absolutely Crazy

We had no idea what he had or what it was worth and would have basically given the parts away if it had been left for us to handle.

Even in his 90's he was sharp as a tack.

Paul

We were so glad that all of the parts he had were sold before he passed. The total sale amount was well over 100K! Absolutely Crazy

We had no idea what he had or what it was worth and would have basically given the parts away if it had been left for us to handle.

Even in his 90's he was sharp as a tack.

Paul
Indeed it is crazy, but where are you going to find them. When you're playing against checkbook restorers or guys with more money than sense, then these are the prices that we have to pay to get them. Especially stuff like your father had, seriously, a new H&M 427 TP engine, good luck finding too many more. Of course the new stuff is going to be a lot better as it should be with another 50 years of R&D, plus modern materials and machining practices, but back then these were the top of the tower and would've been the same comparing these to what was built 50 years before these.

Time is starting to take its toll with these guys that were once at forefront on the factory HP wars and along with it a lot of great (correct) information and why I think I'm lucky to have spoken with the guys that were there doing it, hence only mainly Australian guys, but would loved to have spoken to these guys from these times in the US as that's where it all was happening back then. Unless it's down as fact from the times or told to me from those that were there doing it, then it didn't really happen to me. I hold these guys in the highest regard and without them we wouldn't have what we do now as they were the ones to try different things, find what worked, what sort of worked and what was a waste of time, plus finding the weak links so they could be fixed so we got better reliability. Also the tricks and the cheats they got away with or got caught out having.

Great to hear that his mind was still there and that nobody could diddle him with the prices of his stuff. There's a few guys in our area that's around that vintage and talk about sharp, I can only hope I'm half that sharp in another 20 years, let alone in 40. It was a great thing he did for you guys as I've been asked to step into a few situations over the last few years where the kids had no idea of the real worth of stuff only to have the buzzards circling around to pick the carcass clean and make themselves some huge gains by ripping the unsuspecting sellers off big time. One such scumbag wanted to fight me and carried on like an idiot because I exposed him for what he was, an lowlife scumbag rip off merchant. Even threatened to shoot me, so I even gave him my address, but I'm still waiting like the many before him, lol. It's one thing to make a buck, but down right ripping people off doesn't sit well with me, hence why I get asked quite often what I think the values of things are worth. Heck if I had no conscience like the rip off merchants I could be doing a lot better, but I like to keep a clear conscience and know I've helped somebody get a good price minimum for their stuff, I don't even want a cut when they offer it, but a nice meal or a good bottle of rum or scotch rarely gets rejected though, lol.

"Great to hear that his mind was still there and that nobody could diddle him with the prices of his stuff. There's a few guys in our area that's around that vintage and talk about sharp"

Thanks for the kind words. We were contacted by a man looking for information about an engine - we had the original engine he was looking for and sold it to him.

When he came and picked it up and got a tour of the place he about fainted. He was respectful and made the connections that led to the sale of everything. He never hid the fact that he was going to make money on the deal.

The buyer spent 5 days at our place and always told my Dad what he was going to sell each part for. Nothing hidden, nothing underhanded. My Dad appreciated that.

Once the final price was agreed to I about fainted. He paid, the check cleared, and he sent a crew to load everything up. They took EVERYTHING! 4 full shipping containers full.

After it was over I thought my Dad might be upset. He sat in his wheelchair in the middle of the empty shop and belly laughed. He pointed out that he had sold one carburetor for more than the car it fit on sold for new.

I asked him if he was going to go out and collect more parts. He said "F*ck No. Glad all of the sh*t got gone". That is about as nostalgic as I ever saw him get

He left us 2 Mustang convertibles and a enough parts to put them together. My kids and I are having fun.

Paul

"Great to hear that his mind was still there and that nobody could diddle him with the prices of his stuff. There's a few guys in our area that's around that vintage and talk about sharp"

Thanks for the kind words. We were contacted by a man looking for information about an engine - we had the original engine he was looking for and sold it to him.

When he came and picked it up and got a tour of the place he about fainted. He was respectful and made the connections that led to the sale of everything. He never hid the fact that he was going to make money on the deal.

The buyer spent 5 days at our place and always told my Dad what he was going to sell each part for. Nothing hidden, nothing underhanded. My Dad appreciated that.

Once the final price was agreed to I about fainted. He paid, the check cleared, and he sent a crew to load everything up. They took EVERYTHING! 4 full shipping containers full.

After it was over I thought my Dad might be upset. He sat in his wheelchair in the middle of the empty shop and belly laughed. He pointed out that he had sold one carburetor for more than the car it fit on sold for new.

I asked him if he was going to go out and collect more parts. He said "F*ck No. Glad all of the sh*t got gone". That is about as nostalgic as I ever saw him get

He left us 2 Mustang convertibles and a enough parts to put them together. My kids and I are having fun.

Paul
That's awesome when a car and its original engine can be reunited, just something about reconnecting what it came from the factory with, something I'm still hoping can be done with my project car.

I know exactly how that guy felt about walking into your dad's "Aladdins" cave and seeing such treasures. I had a customer about 25 years ago that would go on about his collection of rare Ford performance parts. I thought he'd have basically nothing as he liked to spin a yarn. To say I was surprised to see what this guy had in his sheds is an understatement, blown away comes close. My lord stuff I'd only read about in books from the US and stuff I never thought would've been brought into Australia by Ford, nothing like your dad had, but impressive none the less. A lot of rare NOS stuff like 427 & 302 T/P heads, Boss blocks, experimental intakes and exhaust headers, carbs, ignition systems, you name it he basically had it. Then the used factory stuff was just as, if not more impressive, including aluminium blocks and heads, including Cleveland, even had stuff that was never to leave the factory unless going to the tip. I was in my own "Wonderland" lol.

I would've been just like this guy except knowing my luck, I wouldn't have fainted but would've had a heart attack and not been able to appreciate and taken in what I'd just seen. Gee 5 days, I could only imagine what was hiding in that "Alladins" cave. The big stuff is easy, but when get into all the smells is what takes the time. That plus wiping up the drool all the time, I would've been like Homer Simpson thinking of donuts. As I said nothing wrong with making a buck, but when people are sneakily trying to take advantage of and rip people off is what I hate. The fact that the guy who bought all of your dads stuff being upfront about it is to be applauded, as most people just BS to make themselves out to be a great guy and once they've got the stuff and leave, only then do their true colours show.

Gees 4 shipping containers, I can only imagine what great stuff was hiding in amongst it all. As I said the big stuff is easy to see, but the small stuff would've been amazing also. It sounds like your dad was glad it was finally gone, but I suspect there would've been some regrets deep down, especially being a life times of work and memories both good and bad leaving him, from an era that will never ever happen again as we all need to be saved from ourselves. There would've been a story he could've told behind every part in there. I know myself when I thought I'd had enough of racing and cars (how stupid) and sold off most of my stuff (mainly Cleveland) I was telling everybody that I was glad it was gone and now I had some space back, but deep down it killed me when some of the parts walked out the door as there were certain memories or story that went along with them. The best thing I'd tell myself is, it's now helping somebody else out now and the parts are back where they belong, in somebody's vehicle. It wasn't anything like your dads stuff, in fact probably would've been flat out filling half a container, lol.

It was a great thing he did for you selling his collection of some very rare Ford performance stuff and knowing what it was really worth and not leaving the burden with the family on trying to work out its real value, or selling too cheaply. As I said I've been called in to help people out with values and some are like are really sure it's worth that, or I don't think we'll get that for it and so on. I like to tell them what a top dollar value is, but will take a while to sell, a decent price that won't take as long to move, or a fair price that will sell fairly quickly. More times than not they just want it gone quickly, so they can get the estate cleaned up and put on the market. Sometimes it's the total opposite where they want every last cent they can get, then wonder why it takes so long to steel stuff. I've managed to pick up some stuff for myself I've needed, but always pay them a good price for it even if they tell me I can have it for helping them out. I'm more into seeing what's hidden on some of these old properties more than anything.

Well the verts he left you and your boys will be a great way of honouring him as well as being cool to cruise around in. As you already know there's so much knowledge and people to help you on this site to get your verts back into service. All the best with it all.

4vforever, agree with you 100%. Technology has marched on since the 427's originally ruled the road. But in the 60's and 70's these engines were at the top of the food chain.

You talked about the buzzards circling around to pick the carcass clean. I know someone that is probably going to happen to. A retired Air Force friend of my Dad's has been into the 427's since they first came out. It would be safe to say he owned the only R code Medium riser 427 LTD in the state. He has a collection of 427 engines and parts that would rival anyone's collection. He knew all his parts by engineering number and could tell you when it came out and what it was used for. As you said, he was the type of person that knew all the correct information. He allowed very few people to see his collection, but he knew I could help ID his parts and give him the part numbers, so I got the "Tour"! Some parts were so rare they never had part numbers released for them. He had all the low, medium, high riser, and tunnel port heads and intakes. Some intakes were experimental Ford and Shelby intakes that were never released by engineering, so they had no part number, only the engineering number cast in the intakes. (Never would tell me how he acquired them)!

He also has a 1967 427 Fairlane that now just sits most of the time. He claims he has gotten so old he can no longer use the truck like heavy clutch and hold it on the road when both 4 barrel carburetors open up. Has sold a few engine parts but now claims the Fairlane and all the 427 inventory will be left to his sons. Problem is they could care less about anything automotive and have no ideal what that type of collection is worth. Like you said, after he passes away the vultures and buzzards will descend and have a feeding frenzy at the Family's expense.

Back