1971 Mach1 429 SCJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

429Cobra

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Mach-1 1971 429 Super Cobra Jet
1971 Mach-1 429 SCJ with Ram Air and Drag Pack.

40K miles on the odometer and number match car unrestored.

One thing a notich in the report is they dont give the number of cars there are lacking extras like power steering, spoiler, wings, etc.......

My 1971 does not have: tinted glass, delux interior, Mach-1 side stipes, spoiler/wing, power steering etc...

It has though full gauges dash, 429cid Super Cobra Jet 375hp engine, Toploader 4sp close ratio trans, 9" rearend with 4,11:1 ratio with No Spin and 31spiline axels and front and rear sway bars.

I was wandering how many Mach-1 in 1971 only had the performance pack with out any other options.

I´m guessing very few cars came like yours... But i´ve seen a lot of weird examples about cars with rare options... Mine for example, is a I6 250, sportsroof and with mach 1 grille, urethan bumper and colour matching front trim... 100% factory options that a de luxe marti don´t notice either..

My car is an export car, ordered this way by the US Embassy in Uruguay... Maybe yours has some similar history behind too... Are you from USA??

Anyway... you have a GREAT POWERFUL CAR and unrestored??... beautiful example ;)

Hi.

I see that I forgot to put it in here that I'm from Iceland!

And this picture is shot about 11:30 pm (23:30) in early Jun with the capital Reykjavik in the background.

As you can see on the Marti report, my car was bought at: Di Blasi Motors INC in Corona NY USA.

It was brought over her to Iceland in 1975 and I´m the owner #5.

I bought the car in 1987 and still has it.

I was told that the first owner bought the car for drag racing, ant that's why it's equiped like that, bud i have'nt got these stories confermd.

Hálfdán.

1971 Mach-1 429 SCJ with Ram Air and Drag Pack.

40K miles on the odometer and number match car unrestored.

One thing a notich in the report is they dont give the number of cars there are lacking extras like power steering, spoiler, wings, etc.......

My 1971 does not have: tinted glass, delux interior, Mach-1 side stipes, spoiler/wing, power steering etc...

It has though full gauges dash, 429cid Super Cobra Jet 375hp engine, Toploader 4sp close ratio trans, 9" rearend with 4,11:1 ratio with No Spin and 31spiline axels and front and rear sway bars.

I was wandering how many Mach-1 in 1971 only had the performance pack with out any other options.
I new of one ,that I should have bought when I had the chance but that's another story.

The car was bought new in the fall of 1970 from the Ford dealer that my Dad and I were members of the Ford Drag Club.This was Horn Williams Ford here in Dallas.

The car was a 1971 SCJ,4spd,4:11 drag pack.Red and black as is yours.This car had the Ram Air,gauges,Deluxe interior,and fold down seat.It had no stripes or spoilers,power steering and came with Dog dish hub caps.Of course it had the Mach 1 suspension.Another unusual thing about the car was the battary had been relocated to the trunk.I suspect that the dealer had done this.

I new the owner for many years.It belonged to the son of a local gas station owner.They even had a chassis dyno in one of the bays of their service station,which for 1970 was very unusual.

The owner pulled the engine almost as soon as he bought it and had AFR re-work the heads,Aris pistons installed and a really wild cam,Hooker headers,the old style that one tube wrapped around the passenger side frame rail.The car was the baddest thing on the blvd then and was really deep into the 11 second range 1/4 mile.

He kept this car for many years and it mostly stayed at the gas station.The dad finally got tired of moving it every day and put it up for sale.I had the chance to buy the car around 1983,but I could not sell my car and had no other means at the time to raise the money.So as I understand it,the car was sold for about 3,500.00 and got loaded on a trailer and went to California.I would love to find out what happened to it.I am sure it was bought by a speculator / restorer for resale.

It wasn't in that good of shape at the time it was for sale.After many years of no driving and the hood had been "acid" dipped,the safety beams cut out of the doors,all insolation had been removed,ram air was missing( I think the dad tossed it in the trash ).The car still showed less than 20,000 miles if my memory is correct.It was still woth the 3500.00 though!

I can tell you that I built the car to race in C/stock, so the cam is a custom grind Madden mecanical cam NHRA stock legal, Holley 780cfm race carb, Hooker headers 2,1/8" with one tube wrapt around the right fram rail.

Harland Sharp roller rockers, Milodon stanless steel valves (2,245" intake) Pioneer valvetrain, TRW/Seald Power pistons etc....

The best ET is 13,000sek @ 105mph with 4,11:1 gear ratio and 28X9 MT drag slicks.

The ratio should have been 5,13:1 bud that never got in to the car.

I have retierd the motor bud I hope to race the car one day with an other motor, hopefully a 557 stroker or larger :rolleyes:.

Back