removing rear window motors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Can anyone give me a heads up on how to remove the quarter windows pancake motors?

I saw the video on the WCCC website and I have unbolted the motors. The windows are up and the motors are completely free and moving but I can't get them out. It's like a Chinese puzzle and I gave up after about 90 minutes.

Is it preferable to have the regulators in the "up" or "down" position to get them out?

I'm about to take a cutting wheel to the quarter panels and cut them out!!! :(

Cool - then you can weld in a set of lower quarter panel air ducts for the rear brakes... like the ones on Pegasus. ::thumb::

Ok, that's actually the same guy on both forums. So it seems everything behind the motor has to come out too. :(

Let's try that!

I just went and looked for pictures that I could not find, lol. I took a set out of a 72 vert and had no issue getting the motors out. I do not remember steps I took but I do know they came out pretty easy. I took the windows out up through the upper slot and I think motor went out the bottom hole.

It has to be easy or they could not do on the line in the less than 2 min. they had to do their job. I believe they were in the down position but not sure on that.

If you intend to take the motors apart and service be very careful and follow the steps in the WCC video or you will be looking for more.

Thanks David.

I did what they showed in the WCCC video, pushed the window up and out of the way after I removed the clip and washer from the regulator.

But I twisted and turned the motors in the lower hole for like 90 minutes. When I got to the point where I was inventing expletives because I had used all the ones I know numerous times and started considering using heavy machinery, including cutting wheels and sledgehammers I decided in was in both mine and the car's best interest to let it sit and sleep over it. :)

I guess it's easy enough once you find the right position and angle.

I will not service them myself as I know I'll screw it up. I'll send them to WCCC and have them refurbish them.

I just took the windows out the top I think I pulled the rubber seal on the door post also. I found some pictures of the window coming out the top with just regular manual windows. Windows and guides are same for rear manual or power. I also brought the guide out the top and washed cleaned and lubed it all and put back.I think with the window out the guide plate out then the window motor will come out the bottom opening. With the manual it all needs to be in down position to come out. I put pics of the manual but the power are on another dead computer.

DSC_2174.JPG

DSC_2175.JPG

DSC_2172.JPG

DSC_2181.JPG

DSC_2182.JPG

Ok, I got them out!

When the windows and guides are out, the motors and the regulators come out in a few seconds.

I don't think it can be done without removing the window guides as there's not enough room to tilt the motors.

Now I'll send them off to West Coast Classic Cougars to have them refurbished.

Glad it worked this time. Anytime you are having an issue getting something in or out of a car you are probably doing it wrong. They only have less than 2 minutes to complete a work station even today on the assembly line. So the parts have to go in easy and hook right up. Of course they had fixtures and aids that took some of the guesswork out of the adjustments.

So those motors will get some air miles for sure. You can do yourself just getting the case separated is tricky especially if rusty.

Back