Remington's 71 Mach 1 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Ok, I'm finally doing it. I've been meaning to make a Project Build thread for a while so that I can document/showcase the work I have done to my car. I really value to help and positive feedback I have seen on other project threads that I have read. I am so grateful for the help I have received from the members of this forum and hope to be able to give back to our community of mustang owners as I continue to learn about these cars.

As I said in my intro, I was given this car by my late father-in-law just a couple months before he passed. 03/10/16. I've always wanted a classic car that I could "soup up" and hot rod around town but I've never owned one and definitely haven't rebuilt one from the ground up. So this is all new to me. When I was given the car, knowing the prognosis of my father-in-law, I knew this was my opportunity to make this car everything my father-in-law wished the car could be plus some. The research I did trying to learn about this car lead me to this forum. My mind was blown when I found this place. I was like "holy mess! This is a whole site dedicated to my car!!" The countless hours I spent reading dozens of different threads gave me the confidence I needed to start hacking away my rusty mustang. Since April of last year, I have:

-cut out and replaced both floor pans and extensions.

-replaced a whole "A" pillar.

-cut off my roof and replaced the support braces.

-removed and replaced the cowl

-tubed out the wheel wells

This build will definitely be a resto-mod project. I do not plan on returning this car to factory specs. Although the car will remain to look like a 71 mach 1 mustang, there be some major upgrades done to this vehicle. I will post pictures below to catch you up to where I am now. I look forward to sharing my progress!

2hgv8li.jpg

33dywt5.jpg
2u5f2ht.jpg
10sf52u.jpg

33e203m.jpg
20tnomg.jpg
2zzomqw.jpg
28ioyzp.jpg
28k1s80.jpg
2wg9pb8.jpg
4kw5tv.jpg
a3f4t4.jpg
xfrr84.jpg

4jx0th.jpg
2uijj8g.jpg
1zl7gvd.jpg

2qiwc94.jpg
10gg2tv.jpg

1z36sqs.jpg
15he4w8.jpg

Wow! That thing was crispy! :)

But congrats on what you have achieved so far. You seem to know what you're doing and you're doing it right.

Keep the updates coming!!

Awesome! Looks like I might have some competition in the 'rustiest pile to start with' category. rofl

Nice work! ::thumb::

Looks like the car lucked out having you as it's owner. New lease on life. Really coming along with the new steel. Welcome.

Nice progress pics! I really like the dash mods. Ryan

I need to find a donor car and just bring you my var to weld on a new front clip. LOL Looks good so far, wish I had the time, tools and knowledge.

I need to find a donor car and just bring you my var to weld on a new front clip.  LOL Looks good so far, wish I had the time, tools and knowledge.
I think these kinds of projects are really scary to think about doing. It's like the fear of the unknown. But once you do eventually get started it's like.. "oh, this isn't too bad if you take your time and do the research." I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The car was already rotting and undrivable so I had to start somewhere and I knew I couldn't hurt the car any worse than it already was. I had zero knowledge going into this project. I have never built a car before or even owned a mustang but thanks to the knowledge that is in this forum I have learned a ton and have been able to make quality repairs. It does take a lot of time and a few tools but hey, these cars aren't getting any younger and someone has to do the work to give these cars a new life..

I replaced the pin and bushings in all my door hinges and man, what a difference that makes. The doors and have no more sag in them and they no longer have that tired whine to them as you open the door. It was a very easy repair. To keep from messing up your door alignment, I found that its easier to leave the door on and latched remove your front fenders to get access to the hinges. Remove only one hinge at a time. Replace the pin and bushings in that hinge then bolt it back to the car right where it was when you took it off, then remove the next one. I used a soapstone marker to outline the hinges to make sure I put them back in the exact same place. I wouldn't take the door off unless you had some other repair you had to do. Trying to get the door realigned by yourself is not easy!

Here is a link on how to rebuild the hinges: 

Back