Cruise Control

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utard

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
68 Camaro
Hi Everybody!

So, I was reading around yesterday, and found the thread asking what is this weird looking switch / chain / toilet plunger type of thing under my column. I believe it was determined that it was something to do with cruise control. I don't know if it was ever determined if it was factory or aftermarket.

Then, I got to wondering if the cruise control in my car, which I have been assuming was aftermarket might actually be an original option.

The question I guess is, was cruise control offered as a factory option?

Mine doesn't work so I thought I might just unhook it all and pull it out, but if it was by chance factory then I'll fix it instead.

Here's what it looks like:

sfgd1g.jpg

And the back of it says:

2vwg3mc.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Scott

hello there!! I´ve never heard of a factory original cruise control option but regarding 71-73 era, it is possible...

Wait till the guys that has the right experience or literature help you find this out ;)

Well according to the Marti book mustang by the numbers not one car left the factory after 1969 with cruise installed. I hope this helps answer your question.

Tom

I agree no cruise after 1969.

Now with that said,I do beleive you have a cruise control unit on your hands.In the mid 70's there were ALOT of after market companies that ofered over the counter units / universal.Two companies that come to mind are Borg Warner and Eaton.I sold several units through an auto supply.Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies.

It is a cruise control unit.

It has a cable going to the throttle linkage, and I followed the wires up to the turn signal lever, which has cruise buttons on it. It has a vacuum port that wasn't hooked up. Maybe that's why it doesn't work.

I was just unsure if it might have been a factory unit. I didn't think so, as the wiring didn't look right for the era, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.

Now the fun of unhooking the wiring and seeing what happens!

There is also an aftermarket alarm that was installed, and holy smokes what a wiring disaster! It's going to take me a month to figure out how to un-splice it. It seems that every wire in the car runs through it.

Thanks again!

Back