Seam sealer factory diagram?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
IMG_1668.JPG

Has anyone come across a guide to what goop went where? Just curious, I have an untouched parts car I have been looking at to mimic the factory job.

From the firewall forward I chipped, scraped, chemically stripped then glass bead blasted everything to bare metal. Now it has epoxy primer on it and it is time to start putting it back to the way it was.

The only thing I have noticed on the parts car so far is that I did not buy nearly enough sealer, some places it looks like it was troweled on.

Thanks for your time,

Peter

Has anyone come across a guide to what goop went where? Just curious, I have an untouched parts car I have been looking at to mimic the factory job.

From the firewall forward I chipped, scraped, chemically stripped then glass bead blasted everything to bare metal. Now it has epoxy primer on it and it is time to start putting it back to the way it was.

The only thing I have noticed on the parts car so far is that I did not buy nearly enough sealer, some places it looks like it was troweled on.

Thanks for your time,

Peter
Look up Osborn body assembly manual. In some places the seam sealer was brushed on. A good product is Martin Senour # 4200. It is sold a NAPA as well as other places. Chuck

I use Body Shotz for duplicating the spray on sealers. I have gotten it from NPD. Body and paint suppliers have it also.
Do you mean Body Schutz?

I ask because when I google Body Shotz I don't come up with anything related to seam sealer... only drinking shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Jim Osborn Weld & Sealant assembly manual today. It is pretty good, 95% of it is weld detail, 5% is sealant. All the drawings are Ford shop drawings, all hand drafted. No pictures, some of the sealant diagrams leave a little bit open to interpretation.

Yes... it is hit and miss with these manuals. I bought the '71/2 electrical manual. Of course I have an early '71 and 95% of the diagrams are for '72 cars... then add the fact that mine is a 429 car and I think I found 1 or 2 photos that applied. Another good investment...

Back