Help...Initial Fire Up Problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalmonTex

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Bright Red
I had my engine rebuilt 3 years ago, and am just now getting to the point that I have it back in the car and everything hooked up and ready to fire up.

Current setup is as follows:

1970 351C block 4.030 bore w/ KB cast pistons

214/224 @ .050, .512/.538, 112 LC

4V CC heads

Malory dual points distributor

Summit Racing 750 CFM carb w/ elec. choke

Factory iron intake

The car will stutter when cranking and a bit of fuel is poured in the carb, but it won't sustain itself after that. Things that I have already checked:

-Fuel is getting to the carb, so pump is working

-Fuel is mixture of 2 gallons fresh, 2 gallons still in from before the engine was rebuilt (3 years)

-Good spark at the coil

-Good spark at plug #1 (Have not checked all others yet)

-Confirmed correct firing order

-Advancing & retarding timing slightly

I plan to check the spark at the remaining plugs, and assuming those are good, next step is to pull the distributor and try resetting it. Next step would be to drain the fuel tank and replace with all 93 octane. I'm at a loss after that. Thanks for any advice.

F.A.S.T. Fuel, air, spark, timing.

When it tries to run does it pop through the carb or exhaust?

First I would replace all the fuel with fresh. It won't run on stale fuel

Second, confirm the timing and firing order. Make sure it's set with the Cleveland firing order.

Third, prime the oil pump to pre-lube the engine and pump oil to the lifters after sitting so long.

I am local and would be willing to lend a hand if you'd like.

neutral safety switch ?
Wouldn't this prevent it from even cranking? It cranks just fine, just won't turn over.

I will check the dwell angle this weekend. The coil voltage is fine, 12.6 or so.

F.A.S.T. Fuel, air, spark, timing.

When it tries to run does it pop through the carb or exhaust?

First I would replace all the fuel with fresh. It won't run on stale fuel

Second, confirm the timing and firing order. Make sure it's set with the Cleveland firing order.

Third, prime the oil pump to pre-lube the engine and pump oil to the lifters after sitting so long.

I am local and would be willing to lend a hand if you'd like.
Yes I planned to drain the fuel tank before trying again for sure. I did read something about priming the oil pump so I will look into that as well.

As far as being local, I'm no longer in GR. Moved to the Detroit area a couple years ago and I can't figure out how to update my profile info on here? Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the header of any page, click on User CP, then Edit Profile on left side, and that shows your location, sex, etc.

Back