"A" Pillar and Roof Rail Construction Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
Does anyone know if it would be safe for me to spray Eastwood Internal Frame Coating into the upper rail above the "A" Pillar and side windows?

Here's the catch.   My headliner is PERFECT and I don't want any leakage into the headliner. 

During the rust treatment of my 72 Mach, (new floorpans, POR15 the entire firewall, rebuilt the cowl) I noticed this little hole at the top of the "A" Pillar behind the corner of the windshield.

I could get the little nozzle that Eastwood supplies thru this hole to treat this section, but is it a sealed section of upper "tube", or are there holes where the product will leak out onto my headliner?

I don't know how this "upper rail" is constructed.  Are there gaps that open out to behind the headliner?

If someone has a car with a headliner out, could you post a pic?

I can stick a coat hanger in for a good 2 feet, and I don't feel anything behind the headliner, but I need to be sure this is a completely sealed section.

Yes there are holes in the rail running the length of the car above the side windows. There will be holes for the headliner bows, seatbelt attachments, screw holes from the interior trim piece running above the side windows. Spraying the length of it will bleed out into headliner. If you have tackled all of those other areas you can remove the interior trim above the window and pull the edge of the headliner glued to the side rail to see the rail running the length above the door.  Just pull loos above the windows. Along the sides just above the rear side windows and behind have a tack strip that hooks into the headliner material.

72 Mustang 177.jpg

72 Mustang 178.jpg

72 Mustang 184.jpg

andy72,

I know your head liner is in good shape, but I believe that is an issue that is going to keep on giving if not resolved properly. The pictures provided by bkdunha shows the rust that is already there due to NO protection when they were built.

mustang7173

Yes there are holes in the rail running the length of the car above the side windows. There will be holes for the headliner bows, seatbelt attachments, screw holes from the interior trim piece running above the side windows. Spraying the length of it will bleed out into headliner. If you have tackled all of those other areas you can remove the interior trim above the window and pull the edge of the headliner glued to the side rail to see the rail running the length above the door.  Just pull loos above the windows. Along the sides just above the rear side windows and behind have a tack strip that hooks into the headliner material.
Thank you very much for taking the time to send the pics.  I really appreciate it! 

My post had been up for a few days and I was bummed that nobody had responded.

Unfortunately you confirmed what I feared. 

I can go up behind the kick panels to treat the "A" pillars, but this area was in question.

As the next post states, these cars really had no rust protection on so much of the metal.

Andy

Glad to help out. Remember they did not build these things to last the 40+ years they have been around. Everyone of them will have some corrosion somewhere to deal with. Except for those luck ones found out in the dry climates.

Is there any where to get a faced a pillar I have a section that is rotted out on my coupe where the fender bolts in right by the bottom corner of my driver side windsheild

Back