Mud flaps / splash guards.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hello Forum.....I am desperate to get some flaps for my 71. What do you guys use?

It would be nice if the where 'clamp-on' type....no drilling preferred. Also, if they said mustang, ford or similar would be great.

Thanks.

Hello Forum.....I am desperate to get some flaps for my 71. What do you guys use?

It would be nice if the where 'clamp-on' type....no drilling preferred. Also, if they said mustang, ford or similar would be great.

Thanks.
I can't help you with your flap selection, your post reminded me of my car being pulled out of long term storage with front flaps... The car was daily driven in the Tucson, AZ area so I suspect that was a lot of road dirt, rocks etc. that they tried to prevent damaging the paint back in the day. Curious, why do you want flaps?

Last edited:

Thanks.
I can't help you with your flap selection, your post reminded me of my car being pulled out of long term storage with front flaps... The car was daily driven in the Tucson, AZ area so I suspect that was a lot of road dirt, rocks etc. that they tried to prevent damaging the paint back in the day. Curious, why you want flaps?

Oh, I just saw your other post indicating the tires you purchased. I see why you want the flaps now.

Last edited:
Not sure where to buy the flaps, but you don't need to drill.  I have seen folks around here use the binder clips from an office supply to clamp them to the wheel lip and easily remove at the show.

1378873_p

Back in the 90's I made a set out of clear 1/8" clear plexiglass and used the binder clips to hold them in place. I used a strip of 3M electrical tape against the plexiglass section contact point to act as a cushion to keep scratches to the wheel well opening to a minimum. When clean, they were barely noticeable. Easy to take off the car at cruises and shows. They worked well for over 15 years and thousands of miles (including long distance highway driving trips). Every 4-5 years I would make a new set since they would get scratched and cracked (from pebbles getting kicked up from the tires). The only time I lost one was when I hit a nasty pothole on the NYS Thruway at 70mph. Inexpensive and did the trick.

Then I found this outfit (recommended from a friend with a gorgeous 67 Stang coupe) and ordered a set for my 69 vert. http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/parts/Splash%20Guards_81/Mustang_87/

Perfect fit since they were cut for the model year and they attach with a pinch-style soft EDPM rubber lip. The lip can be pinched in for tighter fit if required. They come off in seconds for show and cruise and hold on just fine at highway speeds (including a 3 hr thruway drive in torrential rain to my dismay). Quality of the product is pretty good. So far (3 years), I'm happy with them.

This is the set for the 71-73 cars: http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/1971-1973%20Mustang%20Splash%20Guards,%20Full%20Set_217.html

Wow - those are nice, Bill.  ::thumb::

Seeing how they're designed, I don't see why someone couldn't get a cheaper set of the plastic ones and use some windlass to 'clamp' them onto the wheel lips, rather than drill holes.  I might do that for mine - they'd be kind of futile on the rears (with my 295s), but a set on the fronts would definitely help keep the splashes and chips down on the rockers.

I have a set that use an attached channel much like windlace and attach to the interior flange on the wheel well. They work great and have not lost one in two years at speeds of up to 80 mph. I do not have the name of them, but will get it tonight. I leave them on for driving and when I get to the show slip them off and you would not know any the differ. OK, I clicked on Bill's post above specific for the 71-73 model and that is what I have. I have been very happy with them.

Then I found this outfit (recommended from a friend with a gorgeous 67 Stang coupe) and ordered a set for my 69 vert.   http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/parts/Splash%20Guards_81/Mustang_87/

Perfect fit since they were cut for the model year and they attach with a pinch-style soft EDPM rubber lip.  The lip can be pinched in for tighter fit if required.  They come off in seconds for show and cruise and hold on just fine at highway speeds (including a 3 hr thruway drive in torrential rain to my dismay).   Quality of the product is pretty good.  So far (3 years), I'm happy with them.

This is the set for the 71-73 cars:  http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/1971-1973%20Mustang%20Splash%20Guards,%20Full%20Set_217.html
Thank you very much for this info... I just purchased a set for my vert

Perfect fit since they were cut for the model year and they attach with a pinch-style soft EDPM rubber lip.  The lip can be pinched in for tighter fit if required.  They come off in seconds for show and cruise and hold on just fine at highway speeds (including a 3 hr thruway drive in torrential rain to my dismay).   Quality of the product is pretty good.  So far (3 years), I'm happy with them.

This is the set for the 71-73 cars:  http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/1971-1973%20Mustang%20Splash%20Guards,%20Full%20Set_217.html
This is great info, and I will be ordering a set for my '71 Mach 1!  I believe I was on their site before, but only saw the flaps for the newer models.  I was considering going the plain black plastic flap with binder clips method, but this is so much better.  Seems like they should extend down another inch or two, but I'm sure the designers knew what they were doing based on testing.  Considering how exposed the lower body is on these cars, I cringe every time I hear the "ping" of a stone kicking up.  My car has some minor stone nicks from previous owners but I want to get some easily reversible protection on there before the nice weather is upon us.  I have 255's up front and 275's in back, mounted on stock 15" X 7" Magnum 500's, but these should still give some protection.

Ive been using the Jaegers one for a couple years. During a move I ended up losing one of them. They were removed from the car at the time. I called Jaegers and they refused to let me pay for it, I finally convinced to at least let me pay for shipping to canada. Their theory was they replace lost ones, no matter how it happens.

They stay on very well and it is nice that they are easily removable or installed depending on if you are at a car meet or about it hit a gravel road.

These look really cool so I ordered a set. I live on a dirt road, and I cringe every time I hear the stones hitting my car. I basically idle down the road, but you can still hear the stones hitting. Plus, I think they even look pretty good on the cars I've seen them on.

I thought about making some, but for about 22 bucks for each one, I think they are worth it.

Back