1973 Mustang Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
Fellas, this car has been repossessed from owner for not paying and going to be auctioned tomorrow, its a 73 Mach 1, I know it looks like it came from the movie Star Trek, my question is it worth saving and how much should I offer?

20161216191220-0db7cb7d-f31c-4589-bc59-06c54a4457d5.jpg

20161216191152-bf43ea8b-8c40-4c91-8d71-d608be2219bc.jpg

20161216191134-b6e9a32b-3216-400c-afa7-83e3bcf7135a.jpg

20161216191141-0fa0828e-c351-429c-b33b-7a3cc20fb172.jpg

20161216191208-2d0f64b4-0689-444a-a836-bb11a3c1cf96.jpg

20161216191227-50344a6c-9111-43b7-9153-c8df1a1fb7f8.jpg

20161216191214-d203da80-ec6c-44e7-8371-938778d21480.jpg

Oh my. And not in a good way. That interior is hideous! Back to the basics of the car. It is/was a 73 H-Code (no telling now). Looks like some rust starting on the driver's side rocker/sill (not a good sign). If you can get under the car and under the hood and it is not rusted, maybe $2k?? At that you will never get your money back putting it back to original, so it depends. Me, I might pay that for it if it wasn't rusty and the 351c was still in the car and running good and strong just because I love these things and seem to have a problem according to my wife, but even then it would have to be a pretty damn nice car other than that interior.

Wow - that's pretty... ummm... different, that's for sure. :chin:

Putting it back to original wouldn't take much at all.  I'd be willing to wager that center console 'thingie' could all come out of there easy enough, and maybe even sold to someone looking to go that direction in their customization - it looks like a quality-done fiberglass console (probably made by whomever installed the stereo system). After that, it's a matter of new dash trim, center gauge cluster/trim, center console, seat covers, steering wheel, shifter knob, door panels, and maybe new carpet.  The whole interior could be restored with new repop parts for under $2K (ask me how I know :whistling:  ).  Outside - a new set of rims/tires, repaint the hood and you're there.

Otherwise, looks like a decent enough car.  I actually kinda like the way they did the stripes on the hood, and the late-model Mustang rims don't look half-bad.  I'm sure there's more to it than that (there always is), but it looks like a good deal to me.  Everything looks like cosmetic changes that are easy enough to put back to original (if that's the plan).

Knowing what I know now, I'd get that car and make it mine for the best price I could get up to $9-10K (providing it runs and drives, of course).  Once back (or closer, at least) to original, that car could be flipped for $15000+ (again, depending on how everything else is - those pics aren't really enough to make the most informed decision, of course).

'73s aren't my favorites, but I like it. ::thumb::

Good luck!

I don't think that's a ridiculous amount, if it runs & drives, with consideration to the potential as an investment were someone to 'get it back to good' and flip for a profit - there's money to be made if that's the case.  It doesn't look like it was cleaned very well before the pics, and that might just be dirt on the door sill (it's Texas, after all).

As it sits, however, those things done to the interior actually hurt its resale value.  That's why I'm not a big fan of the big name customs (like Gas Monkey, Foose, etc.,) because they do all sorts of weird things that actually hurt the value of the cars, IMHO, even though they're considered to be more valuable because of the big names having done the work.

I think it's a lot better than the pics and those poor choices for the interior let on.

Good luck if you're in the bidding! ::thumb::

If the owner quit paying for it there was probably a reason, big money pit.

The rear spoiler is way too far forward so trunk lid is trash. The reflection down the R.H. side does not look too good. Not a car to restore maybe restomod. To get all the interior right takes lots of time and money. I do not see to me more than $1,000 - $1,200 if engine is 351 and still good. Not even a good parts car. Take a look at the heads to see what the number is cast into the top front corner. Might have 4-V heads.

I agree the trunk spoiler is too far forward on the trunk lid.  Is it trash?  Hardly.  Relocate the spoiler, repair the holes, and repaint the trunk lid and should be just fine.

The reflection is exactly why I said the car's not clean.  Based on the cloud cover and the fact that it's recently rained (heavily) is exactly why I said that - it's exactly what's all over my truck right now... which dulls everything out and creates that same color film everywhere.  The trunk/taillight area is a prime example of someone rushing to just get it clean 'enough' to take pics - they didn't do a thorough job.  I'd wager a good cleaning will have it looking a LOT better.  Texas is ridiculously dusty - to the point that even just a small rainstorm will trash a clean vehicle because the rain turns the dust on the roads into a light-gray muddy film that gets everywhere.  Not like back east or even the Pacific Northwest where it rains enough to discourage so much dust accumulation.

I looked a little closer and yeah, I'd want to check a little closer at what's under the carpet that's been pulled up in the door sill - could be rust... but could also be the cardboard cover in the wire channel.

It's an H-Code, so even if someone were to faithfully restore it, it won't be worth all that much as a collector... so, of course have some fun with it or put it back to original - whatever feels right.  But, just because it's got some questionable cosmetic pieces thrown together inside doesn't mean it's worthless, as your numbers suggest.

Also, as an H-Code I sincerely doubt there are 4V heads under there, but never hurts to look.  Hopefully, Amer will have a chance to look it over in-person before placing his bid.

I think you're being way too hard on this one, David (again, just my opinion).

Eric, I missed it my computer froze but they sold it for $6500 :(

Aw, bummer.  I think that could've been a good deal... even better at $6500.

I wonder if the new owner knows about our website?  It would be cool if they found their way here and we could learn more about it.

Thanks for the update. :cool:

Fellas, this car has been repossessed from owner for not paying and going to be auctioned tomorrow, its a 73 Mach 1, I know it looks like it came from the movie Star Trek, my question is it worth saving and how much should I offer?
Originally a Gold Glow with Deluxe Ginger interior  :)

Looks like you can see the original GOld Glow color at the door sill where the carpet is pulled up.

Guess I should have bought the 71 M code Mach 1 for $2,500 and flipped it on here. It was one of the 150 that had vinyl roof.

I only paid $7,200 for a 48,000 mile original paint H code vert with new top and two sets of wheels one set brand new the other factory wheels with the mag style hub caps. It was a California car off eBay. I am jinxed at flipping stuff no matter what I pay nobody wants it, lol.

Back