What color is this? Mecum LA auction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Light Pewter to me.  The silver is a neutral and takes on properties of the light source more than some colors.  Mine looks a lot different at times, depending on the light.

I am going to have to agree with Mister 4x4. I agree it looks tealish but I too think it is a reflection of something else in the room. If you look at the leading edge of the hood and where the hood comes up over the drivers side cowl by the windshield there is no teal hue to it. IMHO! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the lighting.

I'd bet money on that, and that it's a pewter car.

Like I said, mine's different colors depending on the light:

Direct sunlight:

attachment.php

Overcast

attachment.php

Twilight under a mercury vapor light

attachment.php

In the shop under fluorescent lights

attachment.php

If they have natural light, ultra-white, or LED lighting, it could make a big difference in how the paint looks.

I am not sure if I am convinced it is pewter yet. Look at the front bumper that is shaded. It may be a pewter base with a ton of pearl thrown over it, but I am thinking it is a custom blend color.

I agree on the custom color. Ford had mint colors in the 60s that were close to this, but just a little darker. The 2002+ Thunderbirds also had a color that was close.

I had thought about the color shift from florescent lights, too, but if that were the case the wheels and white floor tiles would also be green tinted.

It would be interesting to see the door tag. If six digit code then could be any color on any Ford or Lincoln product for that year. Cost you about $85.00 to get non factory color. They sent body to specialty shop for paint then back to line for assembly.

There are a couple cars on the forum with special paint I have one of them.

Marti says there were 62 special paint Mach 1 and fastbacks built in 72 and a combined total of 382 for the 72 model run. There are only one of each for trim codes AF, GB & GR.  The most for any trim package is the AA with 26 being built. Door tag or Marti only way to know if special paint order and Marti cannot tell you the color only the fact that it was special paint. I also shows up on the window sticker as an option but does not show color.

The 73 models with the rubber bumper all had Argent front bumpers and Argent fillers in front of the rear bumper. Ford decided to have only one color due to special paint for the rubber parts.

My build sheet shows in the remarks section to install Argent front bumper.

In 72 if it was special paint pretty sure it came with chrome bumper to solve that issue.

This car has been sort of put together looks like. Has the Decor trim package in front of the front tire but none on the side. Also has wheel well trim which I pretty sure was not available on Mach 1 but could also be part of a special order trim. Build sheet would like all in the remarks section on the lower part of the sheet.

I would suggest get in touch with them and see if they have records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it could very well be whatever it is. :whistling:  rofl

The car has been repainted, that much is for sure... and was a "no options were spared" restoration, as evidenced by the non-Ram Air or hood locks TuTone treatment on the hood, the wheel well arch bright trim, and the bright rocker trim with the hockey stripes.

So... who knows. :-/

I too have a Light Pewter car and when it was in the body shop under fluorescent lighting and with "green walls"!! it looked greenish. I had to take some parts outside in the sun to see that it was indeed Light Pewter. My paint was camera'd and mixed from original un-faded paint under the rear window valence, but it really looked off in the shop.

In this case however I do think it is a special mix paint, as mentioned, the tiles still look white. Hard to say for sure other than asking them! It looks like a hack job anyway, the hood blackout is wrong, in shape and finish. Ah well,  I really don't care, not buying it anyway!

I too have a Light Pewter car and when it was in the body shop under fluorescent lighting and with "green walls"!! it looked greenish. I had to take some parts outside in the sun to see that it was indeed Light Pewter. My paint was camera'd and mixed from original un-faded paint under the rear window valence, but it really looked off in the shop.
I know, right?  I remember taking a picture of mine at the body shop, and they'd sprayed the underside of the hood, door jams, trunk lid, mirrors, etc., and under the incandescent lights in that end of the body shop, the pieces looked almost like Gold Glow.

bodywork1.jpg

Ok this is going to get out of control, but here's my car in the paint shop. Pewter or "green"
That's a great example of how the in inherent fluorescent lighting temperature can overwhelm a color.   Your flash effect at the front shows more of the true color under white light, but the rest is all fluorescent effect.

Ok this is going to get out of control, but here's my car in the paint shop. Pewter or "green"
That's a great example of how the in inherent fluorescent lighting temperature can overwhelm a color.   Your flash effect at the front shows more of the true color under white light, but the rest is all fluorescent effect.
Bill, you're quite right. If it was not for the flash, it would be very hard to see what color it really is...... and the light green walls don't help any either. As I said, when it was in the shop, I had to take parts outside to make sure the mix was right. Very confusing!!

Light Pewter Metalic.. Same as mine.

Back