Here you go, a video of the 429cj running...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!  

You have more self restraint than I do.  If I was to that point I would slap a seat in it and go around the block.
Yeah, not quite ready for that just yet. She wants to go, that's for sure. Still some things to check and our roads still have salt on them...

Great stuff, glad she's running fine. Leaks are one of those annoying things that can happen sometimes and hopefully the machine shop steps up to fix them if it's from their workmanship. I once had an oil leak from the crankshaft seal on a high HP 302 that wasn't really my fault, but I fixed it anyway. The customer supplied the brand new cover and what  happened is the hole for the seal on the timing cover was machined offset slightly and distorted the seal causing the oil leak, so sometimes it's not the shops fault either and as I said hopefully they'd step up and fix the problem anyway. Sounds great and the rumble of a big block is nearly as good as a 4V Cleveland, lol. Keep up the great work.

Great stuff, glad she's running fine. Leaks are one of those annoying things that can happen sometimes and hopefully the machine shop steps up to fix them if it's from their workmanship. I once had an oil leak from the crankshaft seal on a high HP 302 that wasn't really my fault, but I fixed it anyway. The customer supplied the brand new cover and what  happened is the hole for the seal on the timing cover was machined offset slightly and distorted the seal causing the oil leak, so sometimes it's not the shops fault either and as I said hopefully they'd step up and fix the problem anyway. Sounds great and the rumble of a big block is nearly as good as a 4V Cleveland, lol. Keep up the great work.
I won't be taking it back to the shop at this time. Logistically, not feasible. I can handle the repair once I find the source of the leak. I paid almost $16k for this engine build at the shop, and I know it is not something I did to cause the issue. It is always a contenticious issue when you take something like this back to the shop... if the engine was out of the car, I would take it back, but given that it is fully installed and operational, I do not trust a shop to take the necessary care disassembling and reassembling the engine compartment the way I would and have completed it. Very particular about every nut and bolt on this car... you can understand my disappointment withthe $$$ invested in this build. However, I still believe the shop is a good builder, they would not be happy hearing this news... 

Yes a 351 4v has a nice tone, not quite big block territory, but it is a gamer in its own right...

I won't be taking it back to the shop at this time. Logistically, not feasible. I can handle the repair once I find the source of the leak. I paid almost $16k for this engine build at the shop, and I know it is not something I did to cause the issue. It is always a contenticious issue when you take something like this back to the shop... if the engine was out of the car, I would take it back, but given that it is fully installed and operational, I do not trust a shop to take the necessary care disassembling and reassembling the engine compartment the way I would and have completed it. Very particular about every nut and bolt on this car... you can understand my disappointment withthe $$$ invested in this build. However, I still believe the shop is a good builder, they would not be happy hearing this news... 

Yes a 351 4v has a nice tone, not quite big block territory, but it is a gamer in its own right...
Great to see it running and listening to the exhaust note rumbling away.   I can share the pain of discovering engine items like that with startup.  When I got to your stage with my 69 vert I discovered oil drooling out the crankshaft seal while running and for a bit after shut down.  Talked to the shop and it turned out they did not install the oil slinger -- 'you don't need it'.   They volunteered to fix it, but only wanted the engine - not the car and the engine.....so I pulled the balancer, partially dropped the pan, pulled the timing cover and installed it.   Same thing as I controlled the protection to the body and detailing.

Looking forward to seeing what the issue is and how you fix it.

Excellent, even with the leak the motor running is a big accomplishment ::thumb:: 

Sounds good... nice exhaust system ;);)

Excellent, even with the leak the motor running is a big accomplishment ::thumb:: 

Sounds good... nice exhaust system ;);)

Last edited:
Exhaust note sounds great! When it's time for a new exhaust for my car I know what I'm going with!

Is that the stock cam too?

Despite the leak you've got to be excited to be this far!

I fully understand your frustration and reasons for not wanting to take it back, especially logistically wise and once the source of the leak is found or even narrowed down then the repair is fairly straight forward on these old girls. As a former machinist and engine builder (still building a few though) I can tell you an engine shop with pride in their workmanship and give a damn about customer satisfaction really hate when these problems arise, but at times they do happen unfortunately,  and they will go above and beyond to fix the problem and keep that trustworthiness with the customer. Sometimes it's not really anybody's fault and stuff happens. I've had timing covers go porous after a couple of weeks, the best one was I pressure tested a head in front of the customer as they lived on a huge cattle property hundreds of miles away and did it all there and then as they were good customers. You can imagine my surprise when I got a call a few weeks later saying there was water pouring through an exhaust port. Bought the head back down and a hole roughly about 1mm had appeared as a casting fault blew out. The customer said how unbelievable it was that it happened and if he hadn't seen the pressure test himself he wouldn't have believed it was tested, the head held 60 PSI and didn't drop. So I dug out the fault, welded it, pressure tested it, milled the head again and told him to have a nice day. Did all that even though it was no fault of my own. The amount of casting and some of the crazy failures I've seen over the years would amaze you.

I know your not placing any blame on the shop, but a lot of people do without fully knowing the facts, so they should find out what the problem was or how it was caused before pointing fingers. Then again I've heard of and come across shops that couldn't care less once the money's been paid even it was their fault and will treat you like an idiot even when the proof is right there.

Anyway I'm fairly sure it's nothing major with your leak and should be an easy fix. So good luck with it and hope it goes easy for you, well easy as it can after you've had to pull the accessories off. BTW I'm a fan of anything V8 and love big blocks, it's just I love my Cleveland'seven more, lol.        

I fully understand your frustration and reasons for not wanting to take it back, especially logistically wise and once the source of the leak is found or even narrowed down then the repair is fairly straight forward on these old girls. As a former machinist and engine builder (still building a few though) I can tell you an engine shop with pride in their workmanship and give a damn about customer satisfaction really hate when these problems arise, but at times they do happen unfortunately,  and they will go above and beyond to fix the problem and keep that trustworthiness with the customer. Sometimes it's not really anybody's fault and stuff happens. I've had timing covers go porous after a couple of weeks, the best one was I pressure tested a head in front of the customer as they lived on a huge cattle property hundreds of miles away and did it all there and then as they were good customers. You can imagine my surprise when I got a call a few weeks later saying there was water pouring through an exhaust port. Bought the head back down and a hole roughly about 1mm had appeared as a casting fault blew out. The customer said how unbelievable it was that it happened and if he hadn't seen the pressure test himself he wouldn't have believed it was tested, the head held 60 PSI and didn't drop. So I dug out the fault, welded it, pressure tested it, milled the head again and told him to have a nice day. Did all that even though it was no fault of my own. The amount of casting and some of the crazy failures I've seen over the years would amaze you.

I know your not placing any blame on the shop, but a lot of people do without fully knowing the facts, so they should find out what the problem was or how it was caused before pointing fingers. Then again I've heard of and come across shops that couldn't care less once the money's been paid even it was their fault and will treat you like an idiot even when the proof is right there.

Anyway I'm fairly sure it's nothing major with your leak and should be an easy fix. So good luck with it and hope it goes easy for you, well easy as it can after you've had to pull the accessories off. BTW I'm a fan of anything V8 and love big blocks, it's just I love my Cleveland'seven more, lol.        

Last edited:
I am not used to the new web site yet, I don't see your video...am I missing something?

Back