1972 assembly manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy22kar

Reaction score
My Car
- Possible purchase
Are the assembly manuals a good tool to have.  We have no idea what is original on this car, or what it should have.  Does the assembly manual also give you part numbers or at least a description so you can try to find the part?

YES!!  I used the heck out of mine when I was putting my car back together.  A tremendously invaluable tool! ::thumb::

Get them all, just in case you need to do something that's not covered in one, it should be in another.  I had "Body," "Chassis," and "Electrical."  I still use the "Electrical" manual even now, just making sure all of the electrics are correct.

I agree with Mister 4X4 - but sometime the quality of the productions are not great. I have the Jim Osborn and some of the images are tough to read.

Tim

Picked up mine at one of the local antique stores.  They can be a treasure trove on manuals.

I bought a Chilton's (or Haynes - can't remember) for the '64.5-'73 Mustangs from a local parts store, and it has a '65 on the cover.  No big deal, we're kind of used to it, I suppose. ;)

But when we were visiting the sister-in-law's family back in 2012, we went to a junk store and I scored an old Haynes manual for the '64.5-'73 Mustangs with an exploded-view drawing of a '71 on the cover!  I think I might've had to give a whole buck for it... gotta love that.  Sadly, though - I think it's lost in my garage somewhere in a box with some of the other 'historical' things I've been collecting for my nostalgic angle.

Here's a pic of the cover if you ever come across one:

1e51d35ac47c5d78c6a7ab808fd8e88b.jpg

Now I want to find a copy of that exploded view drawing, blow it up, and hang it on the wall in the garage.  :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Forel publishing does a lot of official Ford manual reproductions - hardcopy and PDF versions. Their digital rights management app is a bit of a pain, but you get access to the service guides, parts manuals, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams and dealership tips. The assembly guides will come from Jim Osborne. My opinion on this kind of stuff is you can never have too much information when restoring a car. I have hard copy of the '71 and '72 books for my '71 convertible (service guides and assembly guides), and PDF versions of everything else. Having the other manuals is handy when trying to identify a part that may or may not be labelled correctly. I have avoided a bunch of wrong purchases that way.

Forel publishing does a lot of official Ford manual reproductions - hardcopy and PDF versions.  Their digital rights management app is a bit of a pain, but you get access to the service guides, parts manuals, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams and dealership tips.  The assembly guides will come from Jim Osborne.  My opinion on this kind of stuff is you can never have too much information when restoring a car.  I have hard copy of the '71 and '72 books for my '71 convertible (service guides and assembly guides), and PDF versions of everything else.  Having the other manuals is handy when trying to identify a part that may or may not be labelled correctly.  I have avoided a bunch of wrong purchases that way.
I have the Forel ones as well. They are very handy, but yes their digital rights app was a pain.

Thanks, Don - I forgot that I'd actually replied to that thread way back then.

I printed out the b&w one on 11x17 paper (the biggest I can print at home, the actual picture is about 11x14) and it looks good, so it could go bigger on a plotter. It looks good in my workshop.

Back