"Skinnies"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flstf09

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 429 CJ
I'm getting ready to get some lightweight aluminum wheels for the front.Probably a 4" or so wheel.These will be for drag race only and limited street use.Not worried about going around orners.Trying to get some weight off the front.I have steel Mag 500s  with a 235/60.Anybody running skinnies on the front ?

Pro Stars would be your best bet for fitting.  I used to run some 7" wide and later 8" wide ones on the front of my car for a few years.  Much much lighter than the steel Magnums even being 7"+8" wide with 235's.  Street driving them had the fronts showing cracks where the spokes necked down after 8 years or so.  One of my motivating forces to the Magnum 500 transition.  

Mach%201%20018_zps3kxfimqr.jpg

The Pro Stars are what I have been looking at.Been keeping an eye on craigslist for some used ones.Im hoping they will lower the the rolling resistance and help make it run straighter as well as the weight savings.

If it's for drag use then the typical 15x3.5 or 15x4 with some vw tires or some proper front runners is going to be much lighter than anything else. I've run some 15x3.5" draglites, they come in dual pattern 5x4.5 and 5x4.75" and the same 15x3.5 (VW tires, 165/15) and 15x9 (26x10.5 slicks that are actually a little over 27" tall) are the correct offset and fit for both my 71 Mach1 and my 87 Trans Am, so I have one set of drag tires for both. I think both cars would look better with a taller tire (they both have surprisingly similar lines and proportions), especially on the front but I had them sitting around so that's what is on them.

Latest posts

Back