Headers up or down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I feel everyone is entitled to a dum question every now and then, so here's mine.

On a 351C with auto trans, do you install headers from the top and down or from the bottom and up. 50/50 chance?

Alan L

I had to install the passenger side from the bottom . Drivers side went in fine from the top.

The passenger side is the easy one, the drivers side depends on manufacture and clearance.

You may have to disconnect the pitman arm from the cross bar on the steering and install it from underneath.

If you are removing the original exhaust manifolds you will need to pop the steering joint and get the bar out of the way for clearance

brand and length probably are a factor.

Hooker super comps. Passenger side from the bottom. Driver side from the bottom BUT I had to jack the side of the car up pretty darn high. I tried from the top and that didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
351 2V, power steering, FMX

I installed Hooker Comp headers(1 3/4 tubes) from the bottom. Only had to raise the car enough to get enough room to angle the collectors. This was the easiest Header install I have ever done on a Mustang. My other efforts were on a 67 390 (the worst), 69 428 (not as hard as it seems if you remove the motor mounts) 5.0 fox and a 65-289.

brand and length probably are a factor.

Hooker super comps. Passenger side from the bottom. Driver side from the bottom BUT I had to jack the side of the car up pretty darn high. I tried from the top and that didn't work.
have same headders ie super comp hookers on my 351c thats how i did it as well

Jack the car up and they should go in from the bottom.[/u]

Andy

No problem for me and my I6 :p je!
Something like this Damián?

Ford 250 inline six header

SSheader1.jpg

Just kidding, I know you are a factory stock kind of guy like me. ;)

I had clearance issues with mine hitting the power steering box on the drivers side, so I had to switch to the taller motor mounts for a convertible to raise the engine up a hair. I think I got both of mine in from the bottom.

No problem for me and my I6 :p je!
Something like this Damián?

Ford 250 inline six header

SSheader1.jpg

Just kidding, I know you are a factory stock kind of guy like me. ;)
Jejej!! All shinny chrome ehh!!? :p could work! :p

Not my style you´re right :p... I´m not that far of working in my exhaust... I listen a little leak there and i´m pretty sure my car is runnung with an Argentininan made piece there!!... just have to look in the bottom and see if it says "hecho en Argentina" or not :p... the rest is excatly the same...

To be useful to this thread, i think that the best is trying to put everything together outside and then, carefully put the engine in its place... Even changing sparkplugs can be complicated in wide V8 engines...

Hooks are on it...Passnger side was easy, slide right up from under and plenty of room. Drivers side was tight. Even getting out the stock manifold. Pulled the PS pump and worked her up from under. Now need to cut pipe from where PO added a section when he removed headers. Good part is the center pipe is the correct length so they will line up fine. Then just need to take to exhaust shop to weld collectors to pipes.

Alan L

GEDC0241.JPG

Back