1972 Convertible Build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72460CJVert

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convertible Restomod
1971 Holman Moody built 460 CJ
C6 Trans
1972 Mustang Convertible

460 Cobra Jet

C6 three speed

9” rear with staggered shocks

SSBC Disc Brakes all the was around.

I wish I could find my box of pictures of how it all started but here is the short story:

I bought ‘ol girl from a guy down in Georgia who had stalled out on fixing her up. He got her from a guy in California. So, it is a rust free California car that was in primer when it was delivered to me on 9/01/2001. I was literally going through her when my wife called down to me and said a plane jus flew into the World Trade Center!

She started life with a 3512V and an FMX, but that was soon pulled and I started the long process of collecting the parts for a 429CJ 4 Speed build. In the 12 years that she sat in my garage, I was able to collect 90% of the parts to put her back together but scrapped the plan when I couldn’t find the necessary little pieces for the 4 speed ZBar setup……..So I decided to just throw a beefed up C6 behind the 460CJ that I found……..

Well as many do, the project stalled more than a few times and the shell turned into a place to store crap and hide Christmas presents. I took a transfer for work in 2014 and had to plan a move from VA to TX in about 30 days and the thought briefly crossed my mind to get rid of her but I am glad I didn’t. I had to get rid of a lot of “other” toys / projects but decided to find a way to keep her.

So I left her, and all the related parts, with a friend in VA who builds race cars with the agreement that he would put her back together enough for me to ship her down at a later date. Fast-forward three years and I have finally gotten her down here and have started to see things come together.

The car was painted in VA and they did not do a half bad job on it. It needs some work, but it looks pretty good. I plan on having the lower trim blacked out and the Mach I stripes added.

The motor that he was supposed to rebuild. was not, and when we fired it up, something let loose in the bottom end, so we shut it down. We pulled the motor and are waiting for a reputable local engine builder to get back in shape. I’m hoping it was just something little like a spun baring, but won’t be able to tell until we get her opened up. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of most of my shop equipment during the move so she is sitting at Hot Rod Heaven in Corpus Christi instead of my garage.  They are a great group of guys and I have no doubt she is in good hands.

Since she has been down here, we got the top installed and put some new rims and tires on her. 15X8 American Racing Torq Thrust II’s all the way around with 245X60 R15 BFG’s up front and 275X60 R15 BFG’s out back.

That is where we are now, just waiting to get the engine in it to see what else needs to be done to her before we can get her on the road.

This was they day I pulled her out of the garage to take to my buddy's place.

How she looks now.  "You got to install Ram Air as well Hurst 4 Speed and while you are at it a Gear Vendors Overdrive that hooks up to your shifter knob and why not a roll control on it too'. Great looking.  You know the 69/70 Shelby Gt 350/500 convertible roll bar fits with the 7173 mustangs, along with some chrome trim, would be an awesome look. 

seen it on one up around New Jersey a while back.

The SSBC sounds great and as I have that w/10.5 inch...all around power brakes but with an after market vacuum booster just barely brings it to a stop when baring down on it with normal driving' Since this new format on 7173mustangs.com, can not find how to get on ez gallery or find my own photo file like it use to be and still can not get  response out of admin on how to do this, via a msg to my gmail address.. Maybe you can pass on the msg to them to get ahold of me on [email protected] as my old email address been out for a decade. 

72460CJVert-Ps-what is your exhaust....2 1/4 said:
:coolphotos:

1972 Mustang Convertible

460 Cobra Jet

C6 three speed

I wish I could find my box of pictures of how it all started but here is the short story:

I bought ‘ol girl from a guy down in Georgia who had stalled out on fixing her up. He got her from a guy in California. So, it is a rust free California car that was in primer when it was delivered to me on 9/01/2001. I was literally going through her when my wife called down to me and said a plane jus flew into the World Trade Center!

She started life with a 3512V and an FMX, but that was soon pulled and I started the long process of collecting the parts for a 429CJ 4 Speed build. In the 12 years that she sat in my garage, I was able to collect 90% of the parts to put her back together but scrapped the plan when I couldn’t find the necessary little pieces for the 4 speed ZBar setup……..So I decided to just throw a beefed up C6 behind the 460CJ that I found……..

Well as many do, the project stalled more than a few times and the shell turned into a place to store crap and hide Christmas presents. I took a transfer for work in 2014 and had to plan a move from VA to TX in about 30 days and the thought briefly crossed my mind to get rid of her but I am glad I didn’t. I had to get rid of a lot of “other” toys / projects but decided to find a way to keep her.

So I left her, and all the related parts, with a friend in VA who builds race cars with the agreement that he would put her back together enough for me to ship her down at a later date. Fast-forward three years and I have finally gotten her down here and have started to see things come together.

The car was painted in VA and they did not do a half bad job on it. It needs some work, but it looks pretty good. I plan on having the lower trim blacked out and the Mach I stripes added.

The motor that he was supposed to rebuild. was not, and when we fired it up, something let loose in the bottom end, so we shut it down. We pulled the motor and are waiting for a reputable local engine builder to get back in shape. I’m hoping it was just something little like a spun baring, but won’t be able to tell until we get her opened up. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of most of my shop equipment during the move so she is sitting at Hot Rod Heaven in Corpus Christi instead of my garage.  They are a great group of guys and I have no doubt she is in good hands.

Since she has been down here, we got the top installed and put some new rims and tires on her. 15X8 American Racing Torq Thrust II’s all the way around with 245X60 R15 BFG’s up front and 275X60 R15 BFG’s out back.

That is where we are now, just waiting to get the engine in it to see what else needs to be done to her before we can get her on the road.

72460CJVert-Ps-what is your exhaust....2 1/4 said:

1972 Mustang Convertible

460 Cobra Jet

C6 three speed

72460CJVert-Ps-what is your exhaust....2 1/4 said:

1972 Mustang Convertible

460 Cobra Jet

C6 three speed

It is actually NOS Stock dual exhaust set up I found years ago at Carsile.

Wow that is one beautiful Vert build[WHITE SMILING FACE]️[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sendt fra min F8331 med Tapatalk
By the points you have accrued, talks for itself, a beautifull stang!

Back