Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I remembered that I purchased a new coil spring compressor from Tommy Zees. So, I emailed Tommy Zees to see if could make the Ford front suspension support tool. Sure enough, he could!

I was able to pick them up for $50.00 a pair and that includes shipping.

I email Tommy Zees back to see if it was okay to place this information on the mustangs7173 forum for members to be able to order.

Here is his contact information to pick up a pair. You call or email him and he will sell the pair for $50.00

He plans on selling them on Ebay for $60.00. The extra $10.00 is to help cover his E-bay fees. Any member can contact Tommy Zees  @ [email protected]  or call him @ 1-915-490-6644. Please let him know that you are a member of the forum.

Thanks

mustang7173

All,

I remembered that I purchased a new coil spring compressor from Tommy Zees. So, I emailed Tommy Zees to see if could make the Ford front suspension support tool. Sure enough, he could!

I was able to pick them up for $50.00 a pair and that includes shipping.

I email Tommy Zees back to see if it was okay to place this information on the mustangs7173 forum for members to be able to order.

Here is his contact information to pick up a pair. You call or email him and he will sell the pair for $50.00

He plans on selling them on Ebay for $60.00. The extra $10.00 is to help cover his E-bay fees. Any member can contact Tommy Zees  @ [email protected]  or call him @ 1-915-490-6644. Please let him know that you are a member of the forum.

Thanks

mustang7173
Nice job on this design, not sure about the asking price, but to each their own...

Last edited:
This ties in to a recent post by SteveO_71 with an article in Mustang 360, "Lifting Cars and Suspension Damage" , 12/09/2016 and a post by myself, "Lift it Right" , in the Maintenance and Repair section, as reported in Mustang Monthly, March edition.

The response was as expected, totally unnecessary. Everyone who responded, reported no damage to any of their cars suspension (or at least had not noticed..... yet). However, reading SteveO_71's post, a member did mention that he had heard that some had reported damage to the suspension. So is this a necessary tool when lifting these cars? you tell me.

As for the tool shown in the picture, it will likely to the job. I'm sorry, but it is a piece of crap for 50 bucks. I could make those for 10 including material and better, but I'm not about to. I would hope that the guy making them will at least make then look  like a pro tool, then they might be worth 50 bucks, but no more. Then there's shipping (and taxes) and for us in Canada, a high exchange rate.

As one member said in my post, "a piece of wood would do the same thing". I guess at least someone has seen an opportunity to supply a tool that is unavailable elsewhere. I just would like to see it look the part as most do not have the skills to make their own.

Okay, that's my rant for the day, take it or leave it.

Yes, it is a necessary tool under certain circumstances...
 That's funny you say that. Please don't get me wrong, I DO think it is a necessary tool especially for long periods of time, but I'm confused by your reply in the post "Lift it Right" where you say "I have always put my Mustang on jackstands over winter with no issues". Doesn't that qualify as "certain circumstances"?

It is not my intent to pick on anybody, but in two separate threads, there are contradictions. My original question was that I had never heard for the need of such a tool, is it necessary? Most think not, so at the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice to use the braces or not. I don't think there is any need for further comments.

Again, thanks to all for the input, it's been interesting.

To me, the only time it would be useful is when changing front shocks. But, I have a good collection of 2x4 blocks, so I'll save myself $50. On second thoughts, I have enough scrap iron laying around I'd just cobble something together if I didn't have wood blocks.

How exactly are they used? Can't seem to picture it.

All,

Wow, what responses here. By the way, the tool is made per the Ford Diagram.

I would imagine that if it was not necessary, then Ford would not have made the tool for the manufacturing line. All, this was just available opportunity to get the tool if you want it. It is your option!

mustang7173

That is a useful post with the dimensions. However, pictured in the printed article, the tool Ford used was cast. Maybe others have designed a weldment similar to the Bob Perkins design, but even more simple to make. ( I missed that you mentioned it was a Ford designed piece)

It would seem now that as most of us had never seen or heard of this tool, the first reaction was it is not necessary, now some are changing their minds. As mentioned before, the takeaway on it is simply this, be aware that damaged could occur to the suspension and decide for oneself to use it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in getting feedback from anyone that has tried to use these. How easy, or difficult, is it for one person to get them set in place and then jack up or lift the car?

I'm interested in getting feedback from anyone that has tried to use these. How easy, or difficult, is it for one person to get them set in place and then jack up or lift the car?
Yes Don, that will be interesting feedback.

Now we have dimensions thanks to mustang7173, I think many will rethink this. These only need be 1/4" X 1 1/2" CRS with 1/4 X 1/2 angle (or cut to size required) and 1 weld. A coat of pretty paint would finish them off nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still find it hard to believe these are necessary. Going over a speed bump at 5 mph allows your front suspension to fully extend, at force, on the downstream side of the bump. I really don't believe the extended front suspension is all that fragile.

I still find it hard to believe these are necessary. Going over a speed bump at 5 mph allows your front suspension to fully extend, at force, on the downstream side of  the bump. I really don't believe the extended front suspension is all that fragile.
 I tend to agree.

Lets face it, some Ford engineers or whom ever, came up with some pretty weird stuff back in the day, which to this day has us scratching our heads as to "why"! This just could be one of those weird ideas that stuck.

According to my Ford Shop Manual the only time the tool is used is when the ball joints are being replaced, which makes sense. Either the tool would have to be used or the spring compressed to do this.

They do have precautions when hoisting, but they deal with getting the hoist arms and adapters set correctly and that none of the hoist arms or adapters contacts the steering assembly.

According to my Ford Shop Manual the only time the tool is used is when the ball joints are being replaced, which makes sense. Either the tool would have to be used or the spring compressed to do this.

They do have precautions when hoisting, but they deal with getting the hoist arms and adapters set correctly and that none of the hoist arms or adapters contacts the steering assembly.
Don, that makes more sense. Good work on the research, thanks. It is looking more like over the years, the need or use of this tool has been exaggerated and has been published as such. Even the so-called experts can be wrong and often are!!

It would definitely be a PITA to use, but it may have some warrant for a car being stored on jackstands for a long period of time, like years.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice, use 'em or not.

Having done two suspension rebuilds on a couple of cars, the tool makes perfect sense if you are doing any service work on the spindles, lower control arms, any balljoint or the swaybars. It would act as a nice third hand to take the droop out of the suspension and the spring loading off the lower suspension. Even witht he spring off the car and assembling new suspension it is easier to do with the upper control arm held up and supported. Necessary? No, but certainly convenient. I don't weld and the nearest steel supply joint is more than 30 minutes from home, so $50 a pair shipping included sounds decent.

I must confess, I did not know Ford recommended using them for supporting the front suspension when lifting up the car, I always thought they were for front end servicing.

Back