Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees

All,

I have used my Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees several times now. Whether you make your own or purchase a set, this is one tool that keeps the front suspension from putting UN-nesscary pressure on the struts, shocks and joints. BTW, when I changed out the coil springs recently, I was able to remove and re-install the shocks with ease.

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean, seems like every time I look at of work on one thing I see something else...

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

All,

I have used my Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees several times now. Whether you make your own or purchase a set, this is one tool that keeps the front suspension from putting UN-nesscary pressure on the struts, shocks and joints. BTW, when I changed out the coil springs recently, I was able to remove and re-install the shocks with ease.

mustang7173

How is the installation? Doable by one person?

--Albert Einstein

All,

mustang7173

How is the installation? Doable by one person?

Don,

Now, that was a bit tough. I was able to lean the tool until I was able to jack the front up. Is it easier when you have another body around? A big Yes!

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

That was what I figured. I'll probably make a set one of these days, see if I can incorporate something that will hold them in place while jacking.

EDIT: I took another look at the article about Perkin's home-made tool. It shows a picture of the original Ford tool and it looks like it was designed for one person use. The bottom of the tool has an angle and slot that appears to be designed to fit over the flange on the frame rail that supports and keeps the tool positioned while lifting the front of the car.

http://www.average-guys-car-restoration-mods-racing.com/lift-classic-mustangs-and-avoid-suspension-damage/

--Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

It might be funny but I must be the only guy that doesn't have any problems when jacking up the front of the car. My upper control arms aren't touching the frame when the car is in the air, maybe because my spring perches are the roller kind with poly bushings, I don't know!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

The concern from people is that the weight of the front suspension hangs on the shock bushings, compressing and damaging them. Personally I'm not concerned about it. However, they are very useful for working on the front suspension.

--Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

I have just used 2x4s between the frame and the upper control arm. Although the wood blocks don't hold the upper arm as high as the tool described, the arms are still held away from full drop, and, as others have said here, making lower arm replacement or ball joint replacement much easier.

On another note, about the stress the shocks take, I have actually seen where a brand new shock ( won't mention name ), had the lower crossbar mounting break right off when lifting the car without the upper arm supported. O.K., granted, that is probably rare, and the shock was likely defective, but it served to illustrate that a hanging suspension puts some measureable stress on the shock's weakest part, the lower crossbar welds.

Just food for thought….

No worries there, I'm using polyurethane shock bushings!

They will split also we use to use poly springs in dies and they did not last as long as the rubber would just crumble up. They make Die Springs out of rubber and they have a fiber outer layer sort of like a tire does so they do not split for a very long time. Someone should make them for the shocks rubber has a better ride than poly and never squeaks. Danly was the supplier might go look and see what I can find. You can turn rubber in a lathe but you use a sharp pointed scribe not a conventional cutting tool that will not work unless you put in liquid nitrogen and freeze.

If they make a small enough diameter could cut to length for the shocks.

OK I found the springs I was referring to. They are called MarshMellow and there is a size of 1 1/8 O.D. with 5/16" ID will check out originals rubber ones might be a better solution with the reinforced outside on them. https://www.daytonlamina.com/sites/default/files/doc/MarshMellowDieSprings.pdf

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David