HELP ME

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 (M CODE) MACH 1 NOW BBF
OK IT LOOKS LIKE THER ARENT MANY NEW POSTS GOING UP, SO HERE IS MINE TO SEE IF IT WILL GENERATE ANY FEED BACK../.

I HAVE A .30 OVER 460, PLAIN JANE HEADS NO OTHER MODS EXCEPT AN ALUM. INTAKE WITH NO MARKINGS AND AN AVENGER 870 CARB. I JUST BOUGHT A BIG MUTHA THUMPER CAM FROM COMP CAMS ( FLAT TAPPET HYD) SO WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO DO JUST FOR A STREET SCREAMER ? I AM NOT LOOKING TO BE A BADASS AT THE TRACK BUT I WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE IT COULD BE. OK GUYS LET YOUR IMAGINATIONS RUN WILD.....

That's a pretty big cam for a basically stock engine. I don't know what your compression ratio is but 9.5 to 1 at least, is what is recommended for that. Also, I would recommend some head work with the correct springs, headers and a 2800-3000 rpm converter(or a 4speed).

OK IT LOOKS LIKE THER ARENT MANY NEW POSTS GOING UP, SO HERE IS MINE TO SEE IF IT WILL GENERATE ANY FEED BACK../.

I HAVE A .30 OVER 460, PLAIN JANE HEADS NO OTHER MODS EXCEPT AN ALUM. INTAKE WITH NO MARKINGS AND AN AVENGER 870 CARB. I JUST BOUGHT A BIG MUTHA THUMPER CAM FROM COMP CAMS ( FLAT TAPPET HYD) SO WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO DO JUST FOR A STREET SCREAMER ? I AM NOT LOOKING TO BE A BADASS AT THE TRACK BUT I WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE IT COULD BE. OK GUYS LET YOUR IMAGINATIONS RUN WILD.....
do you already have that 870 street avenger? i have that carb too and after i got the motor up and running and when you go to the 460 god's they bash those carbs down into the dirt. not really sure why but they say they are hard to tune and etc.

i would go with a 800 double pumper for a manual carb or a 850 VS on a automatic.

i'm making the 870 work right now though with jets, power valves, and now i'm tuning it with the pump cams when i get them in soon.

That's a pretty big cam for a basically stock engine. I don't know what your compression ratio is but 9.5 to 1 at least, is what is recommended for that. Also, I would recommend some head work with the correct springs, headers and a 2800-3000 rpm converter(or a 4speed).
If you have a stock pre 72 460 long block you will be fine with that cam. If you have a stock pre 72 short block with D3 heads you will be fine with that cam. If you have a stock post 71 short block with D0, C9 or C8 heads you will be fine with that cam. If you have a post 72 long block that cam will be a problem.

In any event you will want to make sure you have a straight up timing set (not a retarded emissions set), a properly curved distributor, headers, approximately 2500 stall converter if automatic trans and a 2.5" dual exhaust with some type of cross over. If auto trans use a Holley 3310 750 Vacuum secondary carb. If manual trans you can go with either vacuum secondary or double pumper.

And Pappy Harold, no offense meant but if you could turn off the caps lock it would make your posts easier to read. When you type in all caps on the internet that is interpreted as shouting.:D

Give us some more info on exactly what you are working with and I am sure others will chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to need some head work for sure with that cam.Not sure what year your motor is ,but your going to need adj. rocker arms , work on the exhaust ports,a little intake and exhaust bowl work,get the heads milled to get your compression up,and a set of headers.If your motor is a '73 or newer differently get an early timing chain set.The only heads you don't want are the '72 because they are open chamber.The C8,C9,D0,and D3 can be made to be good street heads.The earlier heads before '72 have the smaller chambers to help raise your comp. on a late model motor.These motors really come alive with some basic hot rodding tricks.

wow!! ok i'll try to hit every thing. 1 cap lock off... 2 the 870 came with the motor and i was alittle afraid because i saw it had a jet change so i put them back to factory for a starting point. the compression is suppossed to be 10.5 but i havent had it apart yet. so i'm just going by what the previous guy told me. have new springs and rockers coming to accomidate the cam. OH and the block is a 72 with 71 heads as near as i can find out, but i know the heads are not enough but have been looking for heads ever since i bought the car, i dream of p51's but keep looking for something at a bargin. NO such thing for a big block ford. O h and i do have headers but only 1-7/8 tubes.

buy the way this post may be recorded for reference and education. thanks guys

1 7/8" primary tube headers should be fine. Is the car an automatic? If yes, you will want to upgrade the converter. I would use a 2800-3000 rpm converter. What are you running for rear end gears?

Glad to see that you are going to change out the valve springs but, I think that you still want to consider cleaning up the ports at least. The exhaust ports in stock heads are not very free flowing.

For a street car you could go with ford motorsport scj heads.They are going for about 1700 and are great heads out of the box.If you want to keep your '71 iron heads,with a little work they are very good street head.If you stay with your iron heads your headers will work,alum heads are cj size exhaust ports.If you have a factory or mild cam that is pretty high compression for pump gas.You might want to double check that,but if that's right then your compression should be good with the cam you bought.If you take your heads off you might check your piston to deck height.Getting your piston as close to 0 deck height and getting your quench area for the head to piston below .05 will help with pinging.Of course this would require block work and I'm running your shop bill up.Go to this site http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ and if you sign up for $30 it will show you how to port your heads yourself,or you can send your heads to him and he will do them.He is a BBF guy and has done alot of flow work on all BBF heads and knows his stuff.Sorry if I ramble on ,but I love BBF's,especially in our cars.

Thanks guys....... The converter is a must,The specs require it so that I am covering. The springs are also a must for the cam specs. These i did research before buying the cam. My big thing now is that i'm still looking for heads before I bite the bullit and buy new. Thats why i havent bought springs already. and also going with roller rockers. It appears stock rockers would bind with that kind of lift. The car is probably a year from getting done, so I still have time to shop. The plan is to get all the body work done and paint all the jams, then install the drivetrain before final paint. That way I wont have to lay over the fender for major parts install. Even tho its going to be more street use, What do you think about oiling mods??? I hear the rear mains a vunerable.

What do you think about oiling mods??? I hear the rear mains a vunerable.
If it's a streeter that's not gonna see big RPM, I wouldn't bother.

Zillions of stock blocks can't be wrong :cool:

460's came in two styles early model high compression and late model low compression.

First of all what heads do you have. They should read C8VE,C9VE,D0VE (early model small chamber high compression heads) and D3VE (late model large chamber low compression). This is on the exhaust ports above the spark plugs. You don't want the D2VE. The D0OR is the SCJ/CJ head and D2OE are the police heads. Both of these are really good but rare and hard to come by.

All stock Ford heads need to have the clearance checked between the valve spring retainers and the top of the guides. With the stock valve seal the most lift you can run is a little over .515 lift. So if you have more lift the guides will need to be cut down. The C8/9 and D0 heads have screw in studs but are non adjustable or "positive stop" and rail type rockers. These rockers don't like alot of lift or spring pressure. You can add standard type studs and guide plates for adjustable rockers. Guide plates will need hardened pushrods. You can run roller tip or full roller rockers on this set up. D3VE heads use pedestal mount rockers. This works fine for performance cams. You can use shims to get the right crush on the lifters. There are full roller rockers for pedestal mount heads and they work great and you don't need hardened pushrods. You can't just buy pushrods for a 460 and be done, because there are different deck heights and valve lengths for different year motors. Pushrods will be the last thing you buy. You need to check your geometry of the rockers and determine the length of your pushrods.

Compression should be 9.5/10 to 1 for the street. Early pistons have a small dish and late model have a large dish so, late pistons and early heads give about 9.5 or early pistons and late heads give about 9.2. These numbers can be moved around some by decking the heads and block. You will want the piston deck height to be very close to zero. If the piston is down in the hole over .020 than you need to have the block deck cut.

460 iron heads work good stock, work better if they are ported. A mildly ported small valve D0VE will out flow the big valve square port big block chevy heads easy. If you go with big valves in a 460 head you will need to check the clearance between the intake valve and piston.

There is no need for oil mods on and street 460. You will not turn enough RPM's for this. I recommend stock oil pumps.

Andy

That is some good info Andy, and I THANK YOU.. When I started this post alot of what has been discussed I had figured out BUT You guys have helped me tremendously. This is my first 460 build so I am getting all I can from all of ya,before I screw it up. OK now for the down side. You hit it right on the head. I have the D2VE thats why ive been head shopping. I figure if I have to buy heads I wnt to get the most i can for the buck. Oh I havent tore it down yet but suppossed to be flat top pistons and i dought if deck height was ever checked. so I'll have to remember that.

Lets say they are flat top and it looks like say 10.5 compr. what if i got the 95cc heads? They seem to be available alot more?

To start with you need to find out what type of pistons you have before we can do the math on compression. Also because you have D2VE heads you will want to make sure you have a 460 as those heads also came on 429's. Just measure the piston travel with the head off. A little over 3 1/2 (3.590) inches is a 429 and a touch over 3 3/4 (3.850) is a 460.

Andy

I just took a moment and looked up that cams specs. You will not have enough vaccum for power brakes and I don't think that carb is going to be very happy with the low vaccum either. That cam has a too much overlap. I think the EX274H would be a better choice.The EX274H in a mild 460 will put out close to 500 HP.

Andy

Back