73 Mach 1 project, 351 out, 521 in

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barty2000

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Hello,

Making progress on my project so I thought I would post some info. It's a 351 CJ Mach1 car but not stock at all so I didn't feel bad about bastardizing it. It was originally a 351 CJ auto car that was gold with black interior and a vinyl top. It's now black with ginger interior and a 4 speed car. I built a 521 for it with Eagle crank and H-Beam rods, Wiseco forged pistons, Procomp heads, Lunati Hyd Roller Cam, Comp lifters, Roller Rockers, Manley Nextek springs, Stealth intake. I have the FI Tech Meanstreet 800 EFI I'm going to put on it. Just received my FPA headers, super nice!!! We have had great luck using the high temp POR-15 paint on exhaust manifolds so I'm trying it on the headers.

The 351 was rebuilt and ran great with good oil pressure. it was a mild performance build but the guy didn't have any paperwork to back that up. Just pulled it and put it on Minneapolis Craigslist.

I was fooled on the toploader, The tag is RUG-AJ. Turns out is was re-cased. It's a small input, small output, wide ratio. Not the end of the world as I plan to put a TKO600 in it. It just would have been nice to have the real RUG-AJ....

Any problems with roller rocker clearance with those heads and valve covers?

Two of the poly locks hit the baffle in the valve cover (one on each side). I put em on the lathe and turned them down a little and put em back on. Fit good now with single standard gaskets,

I was asking because those valve covers don't work real great with SCJ-A heads and roller rockers.Even have to be careful with valve spring selection.I had to use the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rockers,had to clearance in the bottom corners,flatten the baffles and use the double stacked fel pro gasket.

That was my fear when I bought them, so I was a little surprised when that was all I had to do. I love the way they look!

They do look good.Mine are just the plain ones.Im getting ready to go to the taller Ford Racing ones when I change cams.I won't have enough room for the springs I'll need for more cam.

I was on the fence about dynoing it before I put it in. It's just gonna be a fun street car. I would hope 600ish isn't too unrealistic.

.611/.611 lift, Dur 282/290, Dur @ .050 231/239, LSA/ICL 110/106

I gasket matched the heads and intake. Nothing in the important areas.

10.25 to 1 CR.

Thanx Tim.

Just got my quote from Modern DriveLine for the TKO600. Get that ordered up in the next couple days. I'd like to have this ready to roll by May 1st.

More progress!!!

The TKO600 showed up and we got right to installing that on the motor. The Modern Driveline Kit was great. Everything went just about perfect with that. Then we installed the FPA headers. Here's where the nightmare began. The flanges were warped to start but Stan assured me they would pull in with the header bolts and seal up fine. The right side was warped .110 at the worst point. Trying to install them we couldn't get all the bolts in at the same time. Ended up drilling out the front and rear bolt holes bigger. Then they would all go in except the front. Now had to file the hole on the tube side until the bolt would finally line up and thread in. The left side installed fine but it was up against the Quicktime bellhousing. Had to sawzall the bellhousing for clearance. NOW it was time to pit the motor, tranny and headers in. There was more room than I expected. BUT it wouldn't sit on the motor mounts because the header was hitting the steering box. Pulled the header and took the maul to it. After three times it fit with 1/8"-1/4" of clearance. I hope it doesn't rattle on the box once it's running. We had to smash it in about a half an inch.

facebook photos upload

Back