4 Speed Toploader Shifter Problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Hello,

I am having a problem in my manual C4 Transmission where I can not shift to Reverse. The lever just wont budge to the R position. If I wiggle it enough it will go in the direction but it pops out and moves freely. Not sure if this is a transmission, linkage, or lever problem. I just hope I can fix it myself....Fluid levels are perfect.

I'm confused, you say top loader, which is a 4-speed manual transmission, and then you say C4, which is an automatic transmission.

I assume it is a manual transmission. Start with checking the linkage, make sure the bushings are OK and the linkage is adjusted correctly.

Yes sorry I mean 4 speed toploader not C4, I looked underneath at the linkage and also took the boot off the shifter lever, I can't see anything out of the ordinary

As Don C said, start by adjusting the shifter linkage as well as the reverse lock out rod, if it is still there. If you plan on keeping the car, I suggest investing in a full set of the Ford shop manuals. I is very difficult to repair and maintain the car properly without them.

Chuck

If the linkage is out of adjustment it won't be obvious, just looking at it. I would disconnect the reverse shift rod and try to get it into reverse with the shift lever. Adjust the linkage and then try it again with the shifter.

It helps if you have someone move the shifter while you watch what happens underneath. If you don't have a helper set up your cell phone and video it while you try to shift it.

+1 on what Don C posted. My first course would be to try to see what is happening or possibly binding when trying to shift into reverse. If it is not obvious in the linkage then disconnect the linkage and try to shift the trans into reverse from the shift lever on the trans by hand. If it goes in easily then the trans is not the issue it is in the linkage. Hope this helps. I believe there are also a few YouTube videos out there on adjusting the linkages on a top loader.

Is there a diagram anywhere where I can follow the assembly of everything? Going to try to buy a repair guide/manual. Also when I shift the lever into 2nd I can see a loop that pops out of the front of the assembly with nothing connected to it, I am unsure if that is supposed to be that way. I will try to get a picture tomorrow when there is more light out

Is there a diagram anywhere where I can follow the assembly of everything? Going to try to buy a repair guide/manual. Also when I shift the lever into 2nd I can see a loop that pops out of the front of the assembly with nothing connected to it, I am unsure if that is supposed to be that way. I will try to get a picture tomorrow when there is more light out
Here are a couple of diagrams:

The easiest, cheapest, and quickest way to get the shop manual set is to get it electronically (pdf) and download it.

Here are a couple of diagrams:

Thank you so much for these diagrams. I always wondered what the lever and the bottom of the column was for. 

The easiest, cheapest, and quickest way to get the shop manual set is to get it electronically (pdf) and download it.

Took the shifter off, so much dirt and grime on it. The bushings are dry and cracked up. I am going to order a new set of bushings and cup/springs. Could this be preventing me from shifting into reverse? Does the 71 toploader have a reverse lockout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the 71 toploader have a reverse lockout?
Yes. It is there as a theft deterrent. It is supposed to be locked in reverse to be able to get the key out. See diagrams.

For some reason, there was not a lower rubber boot as far as I know on the 71-73's I tried to fit the repro 1970, (but it didn't work out, which surprised me as the box and shifter is the same), to keep the junk out of the mechanism. It's critical to keep this clean IMO. Mine needs to be sent to Hurst Shifters Online in NC (I think) for a proper rebuild, but the exchange rate is changing my mind for the time being. I say this because if your shifter is bad, they can rebuild it for you for about 200 bucks if I recall.

Just got a better look on a lift. The linkage clip that keeps the reverse shift rod has snapped off and the rod was just hanging. Any advice on which replacement clips to buy? Also I can't get the shifter lever out, do I have to unscrew the 2 bolts on the side of it under the car? I want to replace the bushings

EDIT: I ordered some hurst pit pack set of 6 clips and bushings. I am going to clean the shift rods and make sure the bushings are well lubed and clean

Last edited by a moderator:
Back