73 Aluminum Slot Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351 Cleveland 2V Automatic
Good morning.

Guys I'm looking for some replacement screws for my 73 Aluminum Slot centers. I think they are suppose to be stainless steel. I've seen replacement centers that included the screws but not just the screws.

I also need some help getting some of the broken screws out of the wheels. What is the safest way to do it? They are broken flush to the top of the wheel.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any pointers on polishing these things up? I have two of them pretty well done but it was a ton of work with lots of different products that didn't seem to work exactly as I expected. I've tried Collinite Metal Polsih, Dell Metal Polish, Mother's Aluminum Polish, some Porter Cable green polishing compound and some dremel polishing compound. I've been using a dremel with polishing wheels and some stainless steel brushes and lots of elbow grease. I would guess I worked on each one 8 hours or more over a course of weeks. Is there anyway easier?

Any informations is much appreciated.

Here is one of the two I've been working on.

Before

4zyo79.jpg

After

2j4adyr.jpg

Taylor

You may need to drill out the broken screws.Use a center punch and mark the center of the broken screw.Drill out the screw with a drill bit smaller than the broken screw.Use a ez out to remove the broken screw.

I didn't find an easy way to clean the wheels. Just a lot of hard work. I think I used a scuff pad,chrome polish,rubbing compound and work my way up to mothers polishing ball.

As far as getting the screws out. It didn't take me long to figure out I couldn't do it. I took it to a machine shop. They got all of them out except for the one I broke the easyout off.

I'll check out surf city garage.

Any ideas where I can some replacement screws?

Thanks

Taylor

Back