Toploader Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 White Some Original Paint
1971 Boss 351 Pewter
1971 Boss 351 Bright Silver Blue
1971 Boss 351 Grabber Lime Original Paint on the roof
1972 Fastback Mach 1 Q Code 4 speed 1 of 1
1967 Cougar DGS 1 of 1
[url=https://ibb.co/i3cZWa][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f59RcF/shop.jpg[/img][/url]

upload image net

Hey guys and gals, I am working on the 72 Mach 1 351 CJ 4 speed. I have an electrical connection on the shifter lever side of the toploader and I broke it off today!  First off, what is it for and can they be found or is there a replacement? It was a stupid mistake on my part. Any help and/or education would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys and gals, I am working on the 72 Mach 1 351 CJ 4 speed. I have an electrical connection on the shifter lever side of the toploader and I broke it off today!  First off, what is it for and can they be found or is there a replacement? It was a stupid mistake on my part. Any help and/or education would be appreciated! Thanks!
The only electrical connection on my 71 toploader is for the back-up switch and yes they can be bought. Try NPD.

Since your car is a 72 and the switch is not on your shifter, there is one other electrical switch that was used.  72's (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torino's with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that screwed into the left front part of the transmission case. This switch was also used on 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ carlines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A). I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves! There was a plug Ford released for the transmission case when it was used to service a car built before 12/1/71 that did not use the switch.

Unfortunately all has long since been discontinued.

Since your car is a 72 and the switch is not on your shifter, there is one other electrical switch that was used.  72's (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torino's with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that screwed into the left front part of the transmission case. This switch was also used on 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ carlines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A). I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves! There was a plug Ford released for the transmission case when it was used to service a car built before 12/1/71 that did not use the switch.

Unfortunately all has long since been discontinued.
Okay, now I see what he's talking about. There was not the picture there when I threw in my 2 cents worth.

My 72 either had it disconnected or it was never there, likely never there. I certainly did not see this switch when I took the trans out a few times.

Thanks for the info. This car was all original and the wires were not connected. 

Sounds like the original owner didn't like the Government Buzzer either!!

Thanks all!

I am experiencing the same problem and now i know its seat belt switch, however, what is the location of reverse light switch and if you know the link, part number or location of the bracket and switch, it would help me a lot.

I'm not sure if this will help, I can't seem to find the pic I want of the complete reverse switch mount, but here is one that shows the bracket with the plastic insert that is needed to set the switch at the required position. The switch will be pushed through and held by little tabs. If I find the pic I know I should have, I'll re-post. This is on my 71, but as far as I can remember, my 72 was the same.

In my 2019 NPD catalog, the part # is C-3415-4A @ $16.95. Look at the NPD online store.

Hello Denkil,

From the previous posts, you already know what the switch in your photo does.

The reverse light switch does not have a separate bracket as some models do but fits in the lower part of the 7400 shifter housing. It is held in place by a retainer which is made so the switch can be adjusted as needed. I normally suggest Ohio Mustang Supply first but could not find these parts on his site.  You could give them a call (440-949-2556) https://www.ohiomustang.com/  as all their inventory is not online.

The second choice would be National Parts Depot (NPD)  https://www.npdlink.com/  Their part # for the retainer is 15A541-1A and as Geoff posted the switch is C-3415-4A.

The Ford part # for the switch is DOZZ-15520-A (Motorcraft SW-943) and the retainer is DOZZ-15A541-A

Ford/Motorcraft version of switch

Switch Retainer

7400 Shifter housing

Hello Denkil,

From the previous posts, you already know what the switch in your photo does.

The reverse light switch does not have a separate bracket as some models do but fits in the lower part of the 7400 shifter housing. It is held in place by a retainer which is made so the switch can be adjusted as needed. I normally suggest Ohio Mustang Supply first but could not find these parts on his site.  You could give them a call (440-949-2556) https://www.ohiomustang.com/  as all their inventory is not online.

The second choice would be National Parts Depot (NPD)  https://www.npdlink.com/  Their part # for the retainer is 15A541-1A and as Geoff posted the switch is C-3415-4A.

The Ford part # for the switch is DOZZ-15520-A (Motorcraft SW-943) and the retainer is DOZZ-15A541-A

Ford/Motorcraft version of switch

Switch Retainer

7400 Shifter housing
Excellent post as always secluff.

In my post, I mentioned a plastic sleeve (retainer), but of course I meant metal. Sorry for any confusion.

Back