Advice on Distributors please PerTronix vs Summit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thanks for reading,,,,

I'm running a 1970, 429 from a Torino in my 73 coupe with a C6 auto tranny and a Holly 4 barrel with vacuum secondarys. 

The factory distributor has issues, there is alot of wear on the unit and the rotor shaft will wiggle around with lots of play, 

I am thinking of getting away from the points setup and going electronic but I want to keep it simple.

Space is an issue as the hood comes down pretty close and I do not mind at all going with a separate coil to keep the distributor small.

This is for a car to drive around town, to cruise the curvy roads near here and that may have a fast takeoff every now and then.  

I want a good smooth functioning item that is reliable. I am not much of a mechanic but can install a distributor and set timing!

I'm looking at the following 2 units, each would be paired with the correct coil.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d7134620/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850306-1

What are your thoughts on these and or is there another item that would better fit the bill?

Get a duraspark. Cheap, easy, reliable. I have heard some bad things about the petronix distributors. Good things about there ignitor kits but the dizzys themselves are supposedly junk.

Second.  I simplified my installation with a Duraspark conversion harness from NPD, but it's easy enough to wire up yourself.  Locate the Duraspark box to the backside of the passenger shock tower (like I did mine), and you'll never even know it's there - won't ever have to mess with it, either.

Here's the basics.  Mustang Steve does a lot of cool stuff to modernize the old tech:

http://www.mustangsteve.com/conversion.html

A Blue Grommet (strain relief) DS-II module should be something like $35-50 at a local parts store, and a Cardone distributor from Summit Racing should run around $50-70.  The Duraspark conversion module on NPD runs about $130 - a little pricey maybe - but makes it really simple to install.

The bad news is that a Duraspark set-up can run right up there with the other aftermarket performance distributors ($200+), unless you find most inexpensive means (harvesting working components from older vehicles, for instance).

The good news is that if any of the individual components fail, they're easy enough to pick-up at a local parts store - unlike the Pertronix modules which are most likely to be mail-order.

Hope this helps!

If you don't want to go the Duraspark route. Then put a new bush in the distributor, no need to put the points stuff back in, put in the Pertronix ignitor or ignitor 2 module with the matching coil, hook up the 2 wires to the coil and you're good to go. A simple easy conversion and no more points, plus keeps the standard look to the engine. These systems work well I'd personally go the ignitor 2 and matching coil over the ignitor. Good luck on which way you choose.

pposey,

I too have been looking at aftermarket distributors.

this is how I see things.

The duraspark IS a reliable unit indeed But Not a high performance unit.

duraspark was designed for low compression engines that ran lean air fuel ratios at low rpms

you most likely have to recurve the mechanical advance to 10 degrees dist. if you plan to run any initial advance at all.

and the vacuum advance will have to be recalibrated as well.

all stock ford distributors use bushings (not designed for high rpm useage)

from a performance standpoint all the duraspark is doing is getting rid of the breaker points.

The summit distributor does have an actual distributor bearing and adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance.

I do believe that the summit distributor uses a gm 4 pin module that you can purchase just as easy as the duraspark module.

summit distributor requires an e core type coil.

if I had to use a duraspark unit, I would get a performance reworked unit that at least incorporates a bearing for the distributor shaft.

Be willing to bet not many of the performance guys here are using factory duraspark distributor with an actual duraspark module.

Boilermaster

My engine has 11 to 1 compression and a .25 inch midrange cam, best as I can recollect on the cam it's been 15 years since I held it and who knows where the paperwork went.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am taking notes and looking at materials

A recurved Duraspark is the best bet for value and longevity.

An MSD distributor can get you the same thing but is expensive, but much easier to tune vs the Duraspark.

The Pertronix and Summit units are made in China and really not made of the best materials. They will degrade in performance much more quickly than the Duraspark physicaly, and their electronics don't have the best reputations either. It is difficult to get a consistent advance curve in these units as they have very light weights and springs. As RPMs rise and fall you can get different advance numbers going up in the rpms vs coming back down. Just something I've noticed.

I have the luxury of having my own Distributor machine so it makes my choice clear.

pposey,

I too have been looking at aftermarket distributors.

this is how I see things.

The duraspark IS a reliable unit indeed But Not a high performance unit.

duraspark was designed for low compression engines that ran lean air fuel ratios at low rpms

you most likely have to recurve the mechanical advance to 10 degrees dist. if you plan to run any initial advance at all.

and the vacuum advance will have to be recalibrated as well.

all stock ford distributors use bushings (not designed for high rpm useage)

from a performance standpoint all the duraspark is doing is getting rid of the breaker points.

The summit distributor does have an actual distributor bearing and adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance.

I do believe that the summit distributor uses a gm 4 pin module that you can purchase just as easy as the duraspark module.

summit distributor requires an e core type coil.

if I had to use a duraspark unit, I would get a performance reworked unit that at least incorporates a bearing for the distributor shaft.

Be willing to bet not many of the performance guys here are using factory duraspark distributor with an actual duraspark module.

Boilermaster
Depending on how much performance you're looking for, I think that's a fair assessment.  However, I believe there is performance to be had with the Duraspark set-up - not crazy numbers though, like with some of the MSD, Accel, Mallory, DUI, HEI, etc., applications... but there's certainly some efficiency and longevity benefits.

My '80 Jeep CJ-7 has a factory Duraspark system powering the AMC 258 (4.2L) I-6.  Changing out a few key components (distributor cap & rotor and the regular coil to Ford TFI units) has allowed me to open up the spark plug gaps [to .055"!!), which has resolved the 'rich' condition and really woke up the engine (along with a Weber MC2100 swap). 

I have no idea how my car ran before I got it (seized engine with original components that were not salvageable) - so I have no basis of comparison.  I do know that with all the performance goodies I've built into my engine, the Duraspark works really well, is virtually unseen, fires right up, doesn't burn rich, never stumbles, and will be easy to replace key components if anything ever fails.  Could it run any better?  Maybe... but I'm not one of those guys that simply must push the edge while trying to find the ultimate sweet spot.

Cheap,easy,reliable,looks like it belongs there.Ford Duraspark all day long.As far as them not being "high performance"....They are more than capable of anything you are going to do with a street engine.

Everybody  seem to want to add aftermarket "stuff" that just doesn't look like it should be there. Okay on a full blown race car, but not a cruiser / show car.

I have posted before on my experiences with poorly remanufactured distributors and some ignition systems, so I'm not going there now other than to say there is nothing wrong with an original Motorcraft distributor as long as it's been reworked and set up for the engine it's in.

My set up is quite good now with an L10 slot plate and 1 heavy and 1 lighter spring, topped with a Pertronix Ignitor II module and coil. It currently is set at 20 deg. on the crank and 14 deg. initial, but I can still tweak it a tad more. The Ignitor III is junk as far as I'm concerned until it's redesigned. Damn, I said I was not going there!!

I would also go to the Duraspark and it can be purchased ready to go from Performance Distributors for a price or you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

That's my 2 cents worth. Your choice is whatever you want it to look like, stock or hot-rodded.

First thanks for reading,,,,

I'm running a 1970, 429 from a Torino in my 73 coupe with a C6 auto tranny and a Holly 4 barrel with vacuum secondarys. 

The factory distributor has issues, there is alot of wear on the unit and the rotor shaft will wiggle around with lots of play, 

I am thinking of getting away from the points setup and going electronic but I want to keep it simple.

Space is an issue as the hood comes down pretty close and I do not mind at all going with a separate coil to keep the distributor small.

This is for a car to drive around town, to cruise the curvy roads near here and that may have a fast takeoff every now and then.  

I want a good smooth functioning item that is reliable. I am not much of a mechanic but can install a distributor and set timing!

I'm looking at the following 2 units, each would be paired with the correct coil.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d7134620/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850306-1

What are your thoughts on these and or is there another item that would better fit the bill?
I'm using a Summit branded HEI distributor in my 72 Mustang with a 351C....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850025/overview/

with an MSD Streetfire ignition control module, MSD part #5596. The MSD was recently installed after the original module died. It's not a racing distributor, but after installing the MSD module, the car runs much better. I also have a Pertronix D2000 ignition control module that I am going to put in to see if there is any difference in performance vs. the MSD.  Overall, I'm happy with the distributor's performance, but i wasn't looking for a real high end distributor, just something that would improve performance over the stock unit.

Well I'm getting a Duraspark and having it "tuned" for my motor/car/driving needs by a guy that seems to really know his stuff,, now to pick out a coil and control box,,, am looking at

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-dy893

is that a good enough box to still notice a difference in performance over points?

It will work. Be sure to install the ballast resistor or the box will overheat. Had a buddy that did a conversion and went through 2 used boxes and a new one before he asked for help and I figured out what he did wrong. The coil will get hot too but it seems that the box will fail before the coil does.

In the end it may just be easier to run a MSD ignition box like a 6A. No need to get plugs or cut and extend wires, or run a ballast resistor. The milti-spark properties usually make it easier to start and net some gains in torque/hp. It is more expensive though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back