What is this

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
P3160497.JPG

I found this in the boot and it had been there a long time.  Does anyone know what it is and where it goes?

I obviously need a new one.LOL

Helicopter,

Do you see a Ford Part number? It may be a vacuum switch for pollution controls. May be for the 1973 Ford Model years.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this in the boot and it had been there a long time.  Does anyone know what it is and where it goes?

"In the BOOT!". You must be a Limey, but I is one too.

Welcome anyways. There are no dumb question here. Many very good and knowledgeable members to help out.

Geoff.

Helicopter, that appears to be what Ford called a Distributor modulator valve. There were several different ones used depending on engine size and model vehicle. Since they differed in appearance a ID# that was usually on the bracket or on the valve was used to identify it. These started showing up on 72 "NOX" equipped cars, and by 73 (with "Big Brother" watching) was on everything. The purpose of the distributor modulator system was to help reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. The system used carburetor venturi vacuum to reduce engine emissions. This was done by controlling distributor spark advance. Ford engineers felt that a retarded spark provided a hotter combustion chamber and exhaust manifold temperatures that caused more complete burning of the fuel. Another early form of emissions controls as the Government tightened their control over the auto manufactures. Surprised that yours was still with the car even if it was in the boot. Many of those ended in junk piles or trash cans as people "de-smogged" and got rid of the Government monsters under the hood. That's something my friends enjoyed doing alone with tossing rev limiters and anything else they could find that didn't help make horsepower.

Most of them were located on the left front valve cover and held in place by one of the valve cover bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in Queensland and now in Georgia.  Not much difference between Queenie and here. LOL

good to meet you

Roy

"In the BOOT!". You must be a Limey, but I is one too.

Welcome anyways. There are no dumb question here. Many very good and knowledgeable members to help out.

Geoff.

Back