"Q" Code distributor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrobinson

Reaction score
My Car
My 13 year old wants to build a 1971-73 Mach 1 Mustang for his first car. We have found a Grabber Blue with white interior base model 1971 Mach 1 to start on.
I want to upgrade the stock point distributor on my son's 1973 "Q" code Mach 1 with a Petronics part #1281 or 1281DV. I am having trouble identifying which one I need. I know the distributor is vacuum advanced but it only looks to have one set of points. The 1281DV is for dual point and vacuum advance. The 1281 is for single point distributors and no mention of vacuum advance. Has anyone completed this upgrade that can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the current distributor in good condition? Bushes and shaft? If so leave it there and install a Pertronix II with correct coil. This will replace the points with electronic ignition and keep the stock look and be much less money and easier.

Is the current distributor in good condition? Bushes and shaft? If so leave it there and install a Pertronix II with correct coil. This will replace the points with electronic ignition and keep the stock look and be much less money and easier.
 Good call Jason. That would be my suggestion as well. Its' a MUST to get the correct Flamethrower II coil to go with it, they are not very expensive. The Ignitor II can run on resisted current, as do the points, but will work better at a full 12V. Pertronix make a relay just for this purpose and can be ordered with the module and coil.

Back