Rear wiring on alternator 1971 351c.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowmach351

Reaction score
My Car
1971 yellow Mach 1 ram air 351c traction loc 4 speed. Ordered new from the factory in April 1971. 74,000 miles, in excellent condition. Going through complete engine rebuild only to increase horsepower, not because it needed it. Should bring 430 to 450 hp upon completion.
When I removed the alternator, I made a quick diagram showing where the wires attached. Red connector to the post with the red plastic base, orange connector to the post with the black plastic base. Where does the one attached to the black T shaped plastic piece go? I think that is just a ground going to one of the case screws, but didn't note that. I had the alternator rebuilt and they put on and tightened all new nuts....so there was no loose nut showing me where it came from. When I attached it, I saw that there was another post on the back, think it was stat. Thought that's where it went, but I'm getting no charge. Can someone help please. Thanks in advance. 

You may have additional/different hookups for tach, but here is an illustration, i.e., look at the four wires that plug into voltage regulator. The terminals are labeled so you can make proper connections.

If you are still not seeing it charge, it may be a electrical problem, use ohm meter to check continuity for each of the wires connecting the alternator and voltage regulator. Use a volt meter to verify you have voltage on the green wire with red stripe, mine is 14.5 volts.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=633&q=1971+mustang+ford+351+alternator+wiring+illustration&oq=1971+mustang+ford+351+alternator+wiring+illustration&gs_l=img.3...4448.18563.0.18804.56.19.0.37.4.0.200.2034.1j14j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.19.1921...0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.dLjPjlZ175g#imgrc=t204DBXT5CB_kM:

Yes, that goes to the bottom case nut. It provides both a ground and strain relief for the wires. If you have factory gauges the stator terminal on the alternator is not used.

Thank you all. You guys are the best. Went in the shop this morning and pulled the alternator. Sure enough, I had mounted the black T shaped piece to the STA. terminal. The other 2 wires are correct, so I was evidently not getting a ground. I do have a tach., all gauges and no warning lights. I took a picture of the back side and was going to post it if necessary to show what alternator I have, but Vinnie beat me to it. That is an excellent picture showing how it all hooks together. Hope you didn't take that all off your car just to take a picture . lollerz That should somehow be posted somewhere, somehow on this site, just as a show and tell picture.

Thanks again everyone.

Dick

I used a super secret website to find this pic. Recently used it for my own research while looking for alt. wiring for my 73. The website is called "google.com" ;-)

I used a super secret website to find this pic. Recently used it for my own research while looking for alt. wiring for my 73. The website is called "google.com" ;-)
Never heard of it...thanks for the tip! :whistling:

Well done !! I was looking on google images before I posted..never did see this picture. Good job.

Back