73 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
The car was bucked on June 6th, Built on the 8th and sold on the 11th. I don't know how many first gen. convertibles were built after it, but I suspect not too many.

According to the invoice it was a special order car ordered by the Ford Marketing Division and delivered to an H. Hartman, whose name it appears on the invoice. He is believed to have been a Ford employee at the Ford Delaware Valley PDC in Pennsauken New Jersey. The best guess is that the car was some sort of company car, financed by Ford itself thru an internal account called "2450 Ford Marketin 9" and not sold to a dealership. There may be more to the car's history but I have not been able to find it.

I have included correspondence I had with Marti about the car's Eminger invoice along with the Marti Report. His comments are in red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was also ordered by Ford Marketing from Dearborn MI. It was special propose vehicle. It was built for some Ford executive and shipped the Ford garage on 17101 Rotunda Dr. Dearborn.

John J

Mine was also ordered by Ford Marketing from Dearborn MI. It was special propose vehicle. It was built for some Ford executive and shipped the Ford garage on 17101 Rotunda Dr. Dearborn.

John J
John,

You have a very nice car! Love the red with black out hood and white interior/roof. Mine was also ordered by Ford Marketing in Pennsauken, NJ as a "Sales Vehicle".  I wonder what the difference was between Ford Marketing ordering a "Special Propose Vehicle" and a "Sales Vehicle". I noticed that the  DSO of 89 on yours designated "Transportation Services" where my DSO is 16 for Philly Sales District. They both end with a "K".

Do you have the Eminger Invoice for yours? I would really like to compare the information on yours with mine.

Rich

The S code in the tag number indicates it was a sales car which usually means it was used by a Ford employee who called on dealers and needed a vehicle to do their job function. These vehicles are also usually pretty well equipped as the employee was able to chose how they were optioned. If the S was an L then it would be a company lease vehicle which certain levels in the company receive as part of their benefits package. As the employee may have to pay a monthly fee for the L vehicles the options might be less.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Rich,

Having been through a lot of the same questions with my car here are a couple clarifications...Both your car

and mine have an "order type" of sales vehicle. From what I was able to find out this is a car that was 

ordered by the Marketing Department and used to demonstrate and promote to dealerships. Because it 

was to promote and demonstrate, these vehicles were highly optioned.The problem with this, is both cars 

were VERY late 73 orders and the 74's were coming out shortly. So does not make sense to have a sales

vehicle when the line was getting ready to shut down for 73 production.The person listed on the report 

is the Ford employee who ordered the car. The tag number is his Ford ID number.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
315S402 is the tag number assigned to H Hartman so any sales car he had would have that tag number associated with them. It really doesn't matter when in the year it's ordered as it's main purpose is to drive the employee from dealer to dealer. Sometimes they are early build, sometimes late in the build and sometimes in the middle. Usually they are highly optioned though because as I stated earlier the employee isn't paying for the car and can usually order whatever he/she wants (although sometimes there are restrictions).

Jeff - do you have a link to your Marti report?

John J
John,

You have a very nice car! Love the red with black out hood and white interior/roof. Mine was also ordered by Ford Marketing in Pennsauken, NJ as a "Sales Vehicle".  I wonder what the difference was between Ford Marketing ordering a "Special Propose Vehicle" and a "Sales Vehicle". I noticed that the  DSO of 89 on yours designated "Transportation Services" where my DSO is 16 for Philly Sales District. They both end with a "K".

Do you have the Eminger Invoice for yours? I would really like to compare the information on yours with mine.

Rich
Here you go.

img001.pdf

img002.pdf

img003.pdf

John J

Attachments

• img001.pdf
    797.9 KB · Views: 9
  • img002.pdf
    785.8 KB · Views: 8
  • img003.pdf