"J " Code vert update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update. Glad the coolant leak wasn't a bigger issue. Sucks about the steering box though. Are you having it done locally? I am getting mine ready to ship out to Powersteering.com for a rebuild and conversion to quick ratio.

Horns may still work, but need some tweaking.  Apply battery power to them, and find the little screw that adjusts the diaphragm.  Turn screw in or out until you get sound.  

At least try this before going to other horns.  Here's an old Mustang Times article about rebuilding horns as well:

mustangtimes.net/24-5/pg28-30.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I mailed your window bits - added a few spares

Let me know about the horns - I think I have a dated early 71 set saved , had to sell both of my

71 M code projects recently  :mad:  F cancer.

Good to hear the coolant leak was minor and detail work is progressing. We touched briefly on the topic of convertible tops when you stopped by, so you are well aware of the inherent 71 - 73 top fabric rub issue at the corners against the hockey stick chrome trim. Although I'm probably preaching to the choir here, once you install the top frame, this is the ideal time to temporarily install the weatherstripping and align / adjust the window glass with the frame & weather stripping before the fabric gets installed. Also good time to ensure the gap between the frame and the hockey stick / quarter panel is sufficient enough to avoid the fabric bead coming into contact with the metal.

Good to hear the coolant leak was minor and detail work is progressing.   We touched briefly on the topic of convertible tops when you stopped by, so you are well aware of the inherent 71 - 73 top fabric rub issue at the corners against the hockey stick chrome trim.  Although I'm probably preaching to the choir here, once you install the top frame, this is the ideal time to temporarily install the weatherstripping and align / adjust the window glass with the frame & weather stripping before the fabric gets installed.  Also good time to ensure the gap between the frame and the hockey stick / quarter panel is sufficient enough to avoid the fabric bead coming into contact with the metal.
Great advice from someone who knows! Thanks

Reinstalled the hood and put on the front chrome trim today. Nice to get the engine compartment properly covered up again, moving forward...

I am totally not bashing at all, it looks wonderful - a LOT closer to absolutely correct than mine.  But with the picture of the original hood side-by-side with the repaint, it looks like the passenger side radius around the NACA duct insert opening is a tiny bit further toward the rear of the hood than the driver side, and has a tiny bit tighter radius as well.

I'm hoping it's an optical dillusion that I'm seeing because of the "digital picture on the internet effect."

I am totally not bashing at all, it looks wonderful - a LOT closer to absolutely correct than mine.  But with the picture of the original hood side-by-side with the repaint, it looks like the passenger side radius around the NACA duct insert opening is a tiny bit further toward the rear of the hood than the driver side, and has a tiny bit tighter radius as well.

I'm hoping it's an optical dillusion that I'm seeing because of the "digital picture on the internet effect."

Last edited:
Like I said, it looks amazing, and I applaud you for your efforts in getting everything as correct as possible.  I wasn't trying to bash it at all.  I just see what I see in the pics.  I'm sure you're right, and seeing it in-person is a completely different story.

Something of interest I noticed, it looks like the factory paint was off just a tiny bit as well.  As you look top-down, there's what appears to be a slight difference between the passenger side and driver side of the radii around the duct openings (a tiny bit less "black" on the driver side than the passenger side - not from paint wear, either... the factory didn't get it perfect).  Could be camera weirdness, as well.

My apologies if I ruffled any feathers.

(comment replaced, since I didn't pull it back quick enough)

Back