Is a Spacer needed between my new Edelbrock 2121 Intake and carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Convertible
302 CID
C4 Transmission
I am in the process of changing my intake on my 1971 302.  I have a new 2121 Edelbrock Intake and a new 1403 Carburetor.  Since I am changing from a 2 barrel to a 4 the stock spacer will not work.  The carburetor came with gasket but not a spacer.  Do I need a spacer or will it run without the spacer?  1971convertible

I am in the process of changing my intake on my 1971 302.  I have a new 2121 Edelbrock Intake and a new 1403 Carburetor.  Since I am changing from a 2 barrel to a 4 the stock spacer will not work.  The carburetor came with gasket but not a spacer.  Do I need a spacer or will it run without the spacer?  1971convertible

No spacer needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although not needed, I believe a spacer is a good idea. It helps to insulate the carburetor from engine/intake heat, especially in the summer in locales where it gets hot.

No spacer needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,  I just got the parts in and I got the intake gasket, thermostat housing gasket and I am planning on running my PCV through the back of the carb.  I ordered a throttle kit 1483 from Edelbrock for my linkage and removed the stock carb and intake.  Getting ready to complete the cleaning and prep.

No spacer needed and the heat issue is a matter of opinion - I live in Southern Az and I added a Typhoon Intake to my 302 with a 4bbl and it just wasn't an issue - and I drove it a lot in the Summer.

Change of mind on the spacer.  The 1403 will fit without the spacer - but it will be tight on the throttle side since I had to order and add the Ford 1483 throttle kit for my kickdown for the tranny.  So I did my measurements with the play dough and had about 2&1/4 inches to the hood - and I ordered the Edelbrock 8711, 1" Phenolic spacer and a couple of 4 hole gaskets (Summit G1417) as well as another open gasket (Summit G1418).  Also while I was spending I just bought the nice chrome single-feed fuel line kit (Edl-8126) to clean up that side of the carb.

Back