Mach_One's J-Code Mach 1 Mod Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach_One

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hello All,

First off, don't freak out!!  No J-Code's will be harmed in this thread!  lollerz

I’m new here….…please see my intro thread.  Thought I’d post a thread documenting the mild mods that I have planned for my new J-Code beast!!  I have wanted one of these cars since I was a teenager.  So I thought that most of the mods I would do would be consistent with what I would have done if I had owned this beast back in 1987.  I suppose a few of the things I have planned may not be the popular thing to do anymore, but I don’t really care about that.  So the mods I have planned are:

• Hammond aluminum Louvers
  • 10x15 Magnum 500 wheels on the back
  • Replace Polyglass tires with new radial TA’a & big fats on the back.
  • Mildly lift the rear with air shocks (Sorry, I can’t stand the saggy-ass look)
  • Add Hockey-Stick stripes
  • Add Tachometer (the car has a clock and no tach)
  • Add traction bars (sorry, I can’t help myself, I just like ‘em!)
  • Custom “Mach 1” logo floor mats from Lloyd’s Mats
  • “429 PONY” vanity license plate (when I get it licensed)

There are some limits.  In 1987, I would have stuck a big cam in the motor with nitrous and an Alpine stereo in the dash with amps on the trunk.  I also would have put Cragar SS’s or Centerline wheels on it.   I’m not doing anything that will irreversibly spoil a pristine, restored, numbers matching car.  I’m just having some FUN!!   Everything  I plan to add has been ordered, so it should not take too long to complete the project.    Follow along below!!  Here’s some before Pics :

429 PONY.JPG

DSC_1883.JPG

DSC_1884.JPG

DSC_1885.JPG

DSC_1887.JPG

DSC_1882.JPG

First off welcome to the site! Nice to see another J code car around here!

Looks Like A beautiful car and I look forward to seeing how it turns out! It's your car so modify it and enjoy

It!

Do you have a marti report for your car?

Hello from Mississippi. Beautiful J code Mach1. You'll find everything from 250 6cyl coupes to fire breathing Big Blocks here, we like 'em all! First of all, I like that you realize the value and rarity of that particular beast. The mods you have planned are all reversible and "Safe". There are a lot of threads you can take a look at that will help you with the "How To's" as you go down your list. Welcome aboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Beautiful car. What ever you do, pleeeaase don't put stripes on it. It looks perfect the way it is!!

Welcome and glad you decide to join the forum. I am also glad to see their is another 429 car still on the road. The 429 cars are rare, I would not do anything that could not be changed back to original so please leave the hockey stick strips off and be glad your j-code does not look like the H-code.

My car is not equipped with a tach, so I carefully added one taking care to make it completely reversible with no damage at all.  I found an existing hole in the firewall and wired it up taking care to not mess anything up.  The mount around the steering column is completely padded as not to scratch.

Put the custom Mach 1 floor mats in today also.  They look nice.

DSC_1932.JPG

DSC_1928.JPG

Some more items have arrived.  The traction bars arrived, so I got to work on them.  My plan was to add pin-on Mustang logos on the sides of them to jazz them up a bit.  I traced the scripts to paper so I could lay them out and figure out where the holes need to be drilled.  

After I drilled the and reamed the holes to .130", the scripts fit perfectly.  I plan to drop them off at the body shop to get them sandblasted and painted light pewter metallic to match the car.

The 10" wide wheels also arrived.  Still waiting on the tires.

DSC_1921.JPG

DSC_1922.JPG

DSC_1923.JPG

DSC_1924.JPG

DSC_1942.JPG

DSC_1943.jpg

DSC_1944.JPG

Back